Khmer table manners

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Khmer table manners

Post by David Gordon »

She likes to call me when she’s eating and it’s really not pretty - truth is she eats like a pig. Stuffing in massive spoons full of rice and chewing with her mouth open. It’s not only hard to watch it horrifies me to think of her eating like that at the tables of my family or friends in the west.

Is this typical or she’s just a pig? Do you think they are able to change these bad habit(s)?
Stay classy na
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Khmer table manners

Post by Kammekor »

You're lucky she uses a spoon instead of her hand.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Chewing loudly with open mouth is as Cambodian as the krama. Try it for a bit and you'll realize it's many benefits.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

I promise you they do this around close friends and family, not out in public. My wife is the same way at home, eats slower than a snail and covers her mouth to talk when chewing when we're out dining.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:10 am Chewing loudly with open mouth is as Cambodian as the krama. Try it for a bit and you'll realize it's many benefits.
When in Rome...
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I would venture that, just like in the West, it is a lack of education. Table manners across Asia can be shocking, to our eyes anyway, but there are plenty of people that do know how to eat.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's hard to have proper table manners when using a fork and spoon.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

khmer table manners
LOL funny one
non existent
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:33 am It's hard to have proper table manners when using a fork and spoon.
I started reading the reply and mentally hearing ‘when you have no table’.

Table manners is something which I’ve tried to instil in the older kids, win one lose one, and slowly but with some success got my point across with the other half. But generally, it’s not too bad. Thank the gods my family have never met my brother. It’s hard to believe we’re from the same family, what with belching, farting, swearing and lewd conversation.

OP- Tell her? If nothing else, the make up shag might be great, assuming she’s not still eating.
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

I took my gf and her grandma to kampot. Gf was no issue. Grandma, on the other hand, was a savage.
While eating at the fish market restaurant she threw her bones and tissues on the floor like it was a 3000rl rice/soup shop.

I didn't mind too much. Food was awful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic