Khmer table manners

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Khmer table manners

Post by Alex »

Sounds like dumb Khmer bashing to me. Different countries, different eating habits. Next.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

The chinks are the worst.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

I'll get my coat
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

newsgatherer wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:37 pm Image

I'll get my coat
Mostly, much better. I’m not so keen on colourful flowers as plate decoration, though.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Alex wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:02 pm Sounds like dumb Khmer bashing to me. Different countries, different eating habits. Next.
Exactly. Expecting an eastern culture to measure up to western standards again. Unable to take that western hat off. Banal imo.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

I'll get my coat
Imagine having to lay all that out, then wash it all and put it away afterwards.
Fuck that for a game of soldiers, gimme a bowl and a couple of sticks.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:03 pm

I'll get my coat
Imagine having to lay all that out, then wash it all and put it away afterwards.
Fuck that for a game of soldiers, gimme a bowl and a couple of sticks.
However, as kid’s duties include the washing up, it’s one way for them to earn their pocket money.
NotYourUncle
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by NotYourUncle »

My in-laws live like pigs.. I've come across 2 bins in the whole of their hometown. Pops asked if we could leave out kid with them, I couldn't help but involuntarily laugh in his face.. no fucking chance I'm going to fix all those problems over the years
pronouns- it/that
as quite obviously, I identify as a f***ing watermelon
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'll get my coat
How many of us have ever sat down to such an array? This is more realistic and more formal than most occasions would demand:

My mother was really strict about table manners. Using the wrong hand or scooping up food would not go down well. Everything had to be packed with a knife onto the back of a fork held in the left hand. Of course this doesn't work in cultures where the left hand is reserved for bathroom ablutions. That isn't so much the case here but outside of some French influenced elite people don't eat like that.

Here they use chop-sticks sometimes, but more often a fork and spoon combo. I still can't figure out how to effectively dine with those two. Forks are good for stabbing stuff and scooping up, spoons are good for scooping up. Neither of them can cut so well. So I get this bony meat and I want to eat it but the spoon is blunt, like most spoons. So what is the next option? Grab it with your hands and chew the edges off? I hate eating with my hands. Basically it is impossible to eat politely with these crap tools,sooner or later you are going to be spitting bones. I was out at some fancy places last month with affluent Asians and felt almost awkward because I was too formal with my manners. Eating with your mouth open is a different level. It's gross but maybe it's thought of differently here? People often eat with their families and extended families and use that time to chat a lot. So maybe it's just not thought of as a big deal to be chewing on some food while chatting and scratching your spondulix? 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I once got into a discussion with some colleagues from Fort Worth regarding the habit of using the fork right handed and cutting everything with the edge of the fork if able.
This started off as a strange observation by one of their own when a fella had difficulty using knife and fork simultaneously. If he motioned the knife to cut, the fork seemed to move perpendicular and the table became an extension of the plate.

Explanation- in the US, families would have shared a common knife at the table, and managed all else with a spoon or fork.
Fair enough…
Curiously, everyone present owned various handguns, but historically had insufficient funds for a simple table knife per family member.

Having had dinner with a group of Chinese, I can honestly say that their table manners were an interesting contradiction to the quality of food. When some sputtering oik reaches across you dripping noodles and soup from his jowls, the concept of eating alone becomes appealing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic