Khmer table manners

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Khmer table manners

Post by Spigzy »

Never had such an issue, fish further up the river.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Lip smacking is the one dining trait that I have an irrational dislike of here

But talking, and walking with mouth open and a mouthful of semi masticated mush visible is definitely a turn off too

OTOH - I have been converted to the delights of noodle slurping loudly and without shame

It's a mixed bag - I definitely wouldn't worry about the reaction of people in whatever country the OP comes from to your partner's dining habits because she will probably eat as the people around her do in the west. Worry more about whether she's a bunny boiler or not imo
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Unless everybody on a bus I was on, was related, they do it it away from friends and family, as well.
Straight after we stopped, along the journey, to replenish food stocks, everyone was well-armed with their instruments of choice, from the slurpy percussion section, to the peanut butter cluckers, with farts on bass. It sounded like the clucking choir of the Kalahari Bushmen people, with Dolby surround sound. :shock: The bus was vibrating before we even got going.

I've had a nervous twitch in one eye, ever since.

The only table manners they have, is try not to eat it. :shock:
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Japanese say slurping noodles cools them down. Still sounds a pool being drained.

I got used to it.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:10 am Chewing loudly with open mouth is as Cambodian as the krama. Try it for a bit and you'll realize it's many benefits.
I tried chewing loudly with open mouth, for a bite, as recommended.

The only benefit I found was that it's impossible to chew loudly with closed mouth. My companions all had to suddenly go to the bathroom, and never returned. I got stuck with the bill, consequently 86'd, and banned from all local and neighbouring countries' restaurants.

I also received an email from Chief Ktrkkckutukshhh Jnr., of the Kalahari Bushmen people, asking me to watch my language in public.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:51 pm Japanese say slurping noodles cools them down. Still sounds a pool being drained.

I got used to it.
Is easy once you get used to it. You just got to keep the hose fully submerged so it doesn't suck air.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I suffer hugely with misophonia - an extreme disliking of certain sounds, and for me, that sound is the sound of other people eating. I'm normally quite a gentle soul who wouldn't say boo to a goose, or whatever the idiom is, but I could quite happily commit murder when it comes to the sound of other people eating. The Khmer culture of deliberatly making the loudest, most unneccessary chomping sounds whilst eating has made me move tables in restaurants many times. It absolutely enrages me like nothing else. I know it's a mental disorder, but I've suffered with it all my life. I cannot bear it. Especially when it's so unneccessary. It's the equivelent of someone putting their face against yours and calling your mother the most vile disgusting names imaginable.

Thankfully, most Khmers I know don't eat like that and eat in the normal way most westerners would, but too many of them don't.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

xandreu wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:10 pm I suffer hugely with misophonia - an extreme disliking of certain sounds, and for me, that sound is the sound of other people eating. I'm normally quite a gentle soul who wouldn't say boo to a goose, or whatever the idiom is, but I could quite happily commit murder when it comes to the sound of other people eating. The Khmer culture of deliberatly making the loudest, most unneccessary chomping sounds whilst eating has made me move tables in restaurants many times. It absolutely enrages me like nothing else. I know it's a mental disorder, but I've suffered with it all my life. I cannot bear it. Especially when it's so unneccessary. It's the equivelent of someone putting their face against yours and calling your mother the most vile disgusting names imaginable.

Thankfully, most Khmers I know don't eat like that and eat in the normal way most westerners would, but too many of them don't.
There is a list of things they hate about Westerners, that hasn't been published yet because it's so long it hasn't been finished and the list gets increased at a faster rate than input, in particular the chapter about complaining what are their in our country.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

P.s. Chew-and-show, loud-and-proud is it recommendation in Chapter 66: Revenge. It reads words to the effect of doing this in an exaggerated, disgusting manner in front of westerners, and has illustrated directions.

They don't actually eat like that when Westerners arent around. It is passed down from generation to generation and held inside, as instinct, and never discussed.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

I would like to see that list.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic