British stuff - i have questions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

British stuff - i have questions

Post by Ghostwriter »

....And looking forward Brit's answers...

1- I recently discovered Russel Brand and his daily short talks, whatever the subject, what's your input about him ?
I quite like his flow, seems in the right although sometimes obvious and redundant, too pretty on him do not look like a trendy product, but entertaining as a way to hear better spoken English to my Frog's ears.
Suggestions welcomed, for other Brit channels possibly worth watching

2- The Thick of It. Brilliant, my favorite all-time show so far, but it's been a while since.... What show would you recommend to move on to, to top it (if even possible) ?

3-Movies. I can't even watch French movies nowadays, they bore me right quick, so i'd like to know : which few recent ( say, last 5 years ?) British movies are too good to be missed, whatever the subject ?

4-Who would be the most iconic living British citizen now, for you ? (i'm gonna say John Cleese, some would say Paul Mc Cartney, anyway, it's not like you're running out of alive iconic people, and good so)

I'm probably gonna come back with more questions later on, let's see how qualitative are these answers first...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: British stuff - i have questions

Post by Doc67 »

Russell Brand is a gobshite. I think he's been dropped from all the TV stations (and radio too?).

YouTube is both a graveyard for has-beens and a nursery for wannabees. He's the former yet still has 6 million subscribers, which might explain the UK's serious lack of productivity in the workplace.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Ha, thank you.
Faster than unfolding layers and layers of verbiage to see what's in it.
Any good recommendations ?
I mean an interesting point of view type of media, from an individual ?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Ghostwriter wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:24 pm Ha, thank you.
Faster than unfolding layers and layers of verbiage to see what's in it.
Any good recommendations ?
I mean an interesting point of view type of media, from an individual ?

Slowthai - lyrical British genius of the current generation with a slight Punk influence.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:14 pm Russell Brand is a gobshite. I think he's been dropped from all the TV stations (and radio too?).

YouTube is both a graveyard for has-beens and a nursery for wannabees. He's the former yet still has 6 million subscribers, which might explain the UK's serious lack of productivity in the workplace.
I would have agreed with you a few years ago, but I have recently watched a few of his YouTube videos when they spring up on my newsfeed, and I have to admit I don't find him quite as irritating as I used to. His ego is still as large as it ever was, but if you can try and look past that and listen to what he's actually saying, I tend to agree with more of it than I'm comfortable with - uncomfortable because I'm agreeing with someone like Russel Brand.

His analysis on what's wrong with the world, how manipulative and controlling it is and how it can only ever be solved by we the people, is usually pretty spot on in my opinion.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

David Jason. He played Delboy in 'Only Fools and Horses' (a brilliant show IMO) , among lots of other series.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:33 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:14 pm Russell Brand is a gobshite. I think he's been dropped from all the TV stations (and radio too?).

I would have agreed with you a few years ago, but I have recently watched a few of his YouTube videos when they spring up on my newsfeed, and I have to admit I don't find him quite as irritating as I used to. His ego is still as large as it ever was, but if you can try and look past that and listen to what he's actually saying, I tend to agree with more of it than I'm comfortable with - uncomfortable because I'm agreeing with someone like Russel Brand.

His analysis on what's wrong with the world, how manipulative and controlling it is and how it can only ever be solved by we the people, is usually pretty spot on in my opinion.
Russel Brand is pretty solid these days; he reminds me of the smart guy with BPD who drinks down the local
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:44 pm

Russel Brand is pretty solid these days; he reminds me of the smart guy with BPD who drinks down the local
Yes, earlier I also had him down as a gobshite, but he’s certainly no idiot and he’s definitely matured.
He does some interesting podcasts.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:49 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:44 pm

Yes, earlier I also had him down as a gobshite, but he’s certainly no idiot and he’s definitely matured.
He does some interesting podcasts.
Except he has ADD or ADHD or something, then mid-sentence gives a weird chuckle/laugh, then recomposes himself and carries on where he left off.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Brand. Not so bad these day's, but still drops his Ts a bit. Not good for speaking English proper, is i’? Speaks too fast.

John Cleese. Absolute gent.
Watch some Pathé news from yesteryear, before all this internet malarkey.

Or watch snatch to find ou’ ‘ow the villains speak.
I think England has as many varieties of English as the French have recipes for Un Haricot vert.

Whatever you do, do not acquire any spoken English from a scot, and especially not a weegie. They’re nearly as incomprehensible as the welsh, but with few letters.

If it’s the Queen’s (Now the King’s English, once again) that is of interest, then take a gander at The King’s Speech.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic