Best Sim Card (poll)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!

Which mobile operator do you use and are you happy with the service it provides?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:01 pm

I use Metfone and would recommend it.
8%
I use Metfone and I'm ok with the service most of the time
4%
I use metfone but would not recommend it.
4%
I use Smart and and would recommend it.
29%
I use Smart and I'm ok with the service most of the time
25%
I use Smart but would not recommend it.
No votes
I use Cellard and would recommend it.
13%
I use Cellard and I'm ok with the service most of the time
13%
I use Cellard but would not recommend it.
4%
I don't use any of the above (please ellaborate below)
No votes

Total votes: 24
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Best Sim Card (poll)

Post by xandreu »

Seeing as my last post on the topic went way off course, I've decided i should have just used a poll.

Please only respond if you use or have used these services in Phnom Penh specifically.

Thanks.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Best Sim Card (poll)

Post by phuketrichard »

I also use Metfone fiber at home and am very pleased with the service, cost an speeds ( not PP but Kep)

i get 2 gigs free mobile internet included with the fiber package and can call other metfone users for free as well, ( used that in PP)
my tel bills run less than $1/month
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I've been using Cellcard for a long time and it generally works fine.

Traveling around with a friend who uses Smart, we sometimes find that one of them has coverage but the other one doesn't - so having two different SIMs and using the hotspot feature when necessary looks like the most reliable option.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

I use Smart + a SIM from my home country that has roaming everywhere just in case.

So far very happy with Smart and never had to use my other SIM.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Alex wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:19 pm I've been using Cellcard for a long time and it generally works fine.

Traveling around with a friend who uses Smart, we sometimes find that one of them has coverage but the other one doesn't - so having two different SIMs and using the hotspot feature when necessary looks like the most reliable option.
It also largely depends on the quality of your phone antennas. Cheap phone = rubbish components = shit coverage. Many folks love to blame the network provider but in reality, sometimes it's the fact that they have gone and spent a couple of hundred bucks on a crap piece of hardware.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:19 pm
Alex wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:19 pm I've been using Cellcard for a long time and it generally works fine.

It also largely depends on the quality of your phone antennas. Cheap phone = rubbish components = shit coverage. Many folks love to blame the network provider but in reality, sometimes it's the fact that they have gone and spent a couple of hundred bucks on a crap piece of hardware.
Can't say that what you say isn't true, but in our case, we've got pretty much the latest and greatest.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Thanks for the responses. It seems like Smart is coming out on top. I used to use their Smart@Home service which I found to be pretty reliable so it's looking like I may opt for that.

I see that they offer an e-SIM option. I have an iPhone 13 which accepts e-SIMs. Anyone know if there is any advantage to getting an e-SIM over a regular one?

Thanks
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

xandreu wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:37 pm Thanks for the responses. It seems like Smart is coming out on top. I used to use their Smart@Home service which I found to be pretty reliable so it's looking like I may opt for that.

I see that they offer an e-SIM option. I have an iPhone 13 which accepts e-SIMs. Anyone know if there is any advantage to getting an e-SIM over a regular one?

Thanks
As you are iPhone user, then the biggest advantage with e-sim is that you can have have two connections simultaneously. So you can have the physical sim card from your home country for example or if you travel then you can get that country connection and still keep the Cambodian connection active same time. Or if you travel within Cambodia, then you can have Smart & Cellcard/Metfone to get you best coverage.

In countries where you can buy your phone subscription online, the good point with eSims is that you can activate your connection right away. No need to wait for sim card to arrive or to go to shop to get one. But this doesn't help in Cambodia obviously as you have to go to shop to make the contract.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

I Use Smart & Metfone. Just personal experience, but I find Smart has better coverage, but when both have good service Metfone is slightly quicker (for data)

Smart is also the only operator in Cambodia that has wifi calling, which can be useful in dead spots
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:37 am Smart is also the only operator in Cambodia that has wifi calling, which can be useful in dead spots
That's good to know and a feature I definitely miss with Cellcard.

While being in Cambodia, I use WiFi calling with my Thai SIM card (AIS) and it works great. I'd like to do this the other way round, too, so this in itself is a pretty strong incentive for me to consider switching to Smart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic