International Driving Permit

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

International Driving Permit

Post by Doc67 »

Long story short;
Rented car from Phuket Airport
Got to Patong
Got stopped by Police
Got a ticket 1000baht
Went to Police station and paid
Found policeman and showed him receipt and got my UK licence back

Is this just an occasional ruse and I got unlucky or is this going to be a daily experience, thus rendering the car useless?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: International Driving Permit

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:42 pm Long story short;
Got to Patong
Got stopped by Police
Got a ticket 1000baht

Is this just an occasional ruse and I got unlucky or is this going to be a daily experience, thus rendering the car useless?
Rented a car from Suvarnabhumi. Went to Jomtien. Got stopped by Police. Showed my Cambodian license which was also on the rental contract. Police complained in Thai, but I kept replying in Khmer. Left for free.
Asean licenses seem OK.

Fine for you is not according to the law. Thailand and UK (& EU) have a reciprocal agreement on temporary use of national licenses abroad. Good luck fighting it in court though. Guess in Phuket it's a cash cow.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Got to Patong
Got stopped by Police
Got a ticket 1000baht

In the on-going discussion (dispute) over whether Cambodia or Thailand is cheaper, this has got to be a score for the Cambodian side. :stir:
Note - police fine was 1000 baht = USD 27. Too expensive. thumbdown
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Got to Patong
Got stopped by Police
Got a ticket 1000baht

It depends on if you break the traffic rules, or if it is tea money you run into. I have been in both situations in past years, I went to the police station to argue my case one time, they took my license, and said okay no fine, but 500baht admin fee.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Living in Thailand for so many years I’ve not heard of any instance where a cop stops a driver or rider and hassle for money without the driver or rider committing any offense.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Got to Patong
Got stopped by Police
Got a ticket 1000baht

Maybe they want to discourage you from using rented cars in Patong and as to feed your cash into the local taxi mafia instead.
work is for people who cant find truffles
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

yong wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:39 pm Living in Thailand for so many years I’ve not heard of any instance where a cop stops a driver or rider and hassle for money without the driver or rider committing any offense.
Exactly and unlike Cambodian POLICE THEY only STOP ya at checkpoints, never randomly at some traffic light or corner

Doc , what time of day ( or night ) did ya go thru the checkpoint?
in 30+ years of driving a car in Thailand, i think i have been stopped 2-3 times in a car at a checkpoint
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:51 am
yong wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:39 pm Living in Thailand for so many years I’ve not heard of any instance where a cop stops a driver or rider and hassle for money without the driver or rider committing any offense.
Exactly and unlike Cambodian POLICE THEY only STOP ya at checkpoints, never randomly at some traffic light or corner

Doc , what time of day ( or night ) did ya go thru the checkpoint?
in 30+ years of driving a car in Thailand, i think i have been stopped 2-3 times in a car at a checkpoint
2pm, at the junction of Bangla and the road that runs one-way south.

There were about 10 officers at the junction and pulling cars and bikes at the went through the junction.

techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

I would think that a license from a developed nation should always be as good as an international drivers permit. In other countries I can see corruption getting you a license and needing added proof of legitimacy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic