Raids All Over Phnom Penh in Gambling Crackdown

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Raids All Over Phnom Penh in Gambling Crackdown

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

magicmike wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:21 pm
FrankReynolds wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:17 pm I know a neighbourhood gambling den that I'd like to see shut down. Anyone know a number I can call?
Out of curiosity why do you want to snitch on them ? Have they wronged you in some way or do you just not like them ?
I don't know about Frank's reason, but the small, illegal gambling dens I know of around the Chbar Ampouv area, which I see every time I'm visiting family, attract nothing but seedy people, junkies, alky's and jao's...not the sort of people you want hanging around, especially when there's heaps of young kids in the area. Unfortunately the people running these places just pay the cops off, in plain sight, and are permitted to continue operating, causing nothing but grief for the families living in the area.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:40 pm
FrankReynolds wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:17 pm I know a neighbourhood gambling den that I'd like to see shut down. Anyone know a number I can call?
Out of curiosity why do you want to snitch on them ? Have they wronged you in some way or do you just not like them ?
I don't know about Frank's reason, but the small, illegal gambling dens I know of around the Chbar Ampouv area, which I see every time I'm visiting family, attract nothing but seedy people, junkies, alky's and jao's...not the sort of people you want hanging around, especially when there's heaps of young kids in the area. Unfortunately the people running these places just pay the cops off, in plain sight, and are permitted to continue operating, causing nothing but grief for the families living in the area.
What is a jao`s?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Tommie, thieves.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Raid for Suspected Gambling at Honda Hotel Finds Drugs.
Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): Mr. Chea Khema, the governor of Khan Daun Penh and the head of the Khan Daun Penh Unity Command, at 12: 30 pm on September 20, 2020, conducted a raid at a location of suspected online gambling at Honda Hotel in Daun Penh district.
As a result, police found that Room 202 at the hotel contained some suspicious white powder: 6 small packets of drugs, 5 Chinese drug users, and 12 mobile phones. The Chinese people were taken into custody, and are currently being questioned by the Khan Daun Penh Unity Command.
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

TAKEO PROVINCE: In the past 7 days, the Takeo Province's Diverse Police Force has cracked down and closed more than 200 illegal gambling locations in the province.
This is according to Mr. Ouch Phea, the governor of Takeo Provincial Governor's Committee, who made a statement to the press on Tuesday morning, September 20, 2020.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
magicmike
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by magicmike »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:40 pm
ah, fair enough
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kindergarten crackdown or what ?
Am I the only one who is wondering what is going on in this photo ? Is this kid being questioned by police as part of the gambling crackdown? How old do you think he is ? 6,8,10, not any older IMO.
(Also, gotta love that Krud beer decoration on the wall. Classy nas.)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Most likely just a child of one of the people being detained.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

249 People, Nine Nationalities, Detained for Gambling in Hotel Raid
Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): According to the report of the Police Inspectorate of Sen Sok District, on Wednesday, September 21, 2022, at 9:30pm, police forces raided the Hotel David, at the intersection of Street 1011, Oknha Veang Village, Phnom Penh Thmey Village, Sangkat Phnom Penh Thmey, Khan Sen Sok.
According to the report, as a result, 249 people of nine different nationalities were detained for illegal online gambling, including 44 females; all had valid passports.
The arrests involved:
142 Chinese nationals
9 Bangladeshis
1 Nepalese male
7 Taiwanese
62 Cambodians
11 Vietnamese
2 Malaysians
1 Myanmar national
6 Indonesians
According to the report, the items seized by police were: 160 desk computers, 7 laptops, and many mobile phones.
Currently, all 249 unrelated people have been registered by police and have left the location, while the materials are being stored in the same location waiting to continue the legal procedures.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »