Does 'barang/farang' have a negative connotation? What would be equivalent terms in English?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
JJJJS
Tourist
Tokelau

Re: Does 'barang/farang' have a negative connotation? What would be equivalent terms in English?

Post by JJJJS »

In Hawaii, 'haole' - the word for a foreigner (the majority of the time a white foreigner) is considered derogatory/racist.

How is barang/farang different?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Does 'barang/farang' have a negative connotation? What would be equivalent terms in English?

Post by Kammekor »

JJJJS wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:11 pm In Hawaii, 'haole' - the word for a foreigner (the majority of the time a white foreigner) is considered derogatory/racist.

The word 'barang' in itself has no negative connotation. To assume a linguistic construct 20k km from here is the same here is naive.
Cambodians do have derogatory words to address certain foreigners but 'barang' is not one of those.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:52 pm Cambodians do have derogatory words to address certain foreigners but 'barang' is not one of those.
Such as..?
In the name of knowledge, of course. As well as whether the hags-in-law are talking badly about me.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:55 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:52 pm Cambodians do have derogatory words to address certain foreigners but 'barang' is not one of those.
Such as..?
In the name of knowledge, of course. As well as whether the hags-in-law are talking badly about me.
The most famous one would be the word for Vietnamese I guess, 'monkey with a human face'.
JJJJS
Tourist
Tokelau

Post by JJJJS »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:52 pm
JJJJS wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:11 pm In Hawaii, 'haole' - the word for a foreigner (the majority of the time a white foreigner) is considered derogatory/racist.

To assume a linguistic construct 20k km from here is the same here is naive.
There wouldn't be an 'Ask the expats' section without the existence of naivety.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Vietnamese dog is another derogatory word that comes to mind as well in terms of Khmer derogatory expressions.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Barang is a word used widely by the Khmer to discribe and in some cases to address a white forginer.
Racism does not come in to question, due to there's no such meaning towards the white person, so there for the question is, have the Khmer got Prejudice tendencies against white forginers?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:58 pm Vietnamese dog
Apart from the unrequested-so-far-racist-slur branch popping up, isn't "Viet dog" more appropriate, grammatically ?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Such as..?
Off Topic, but,,,,,,,

My kids have fits of laughter when I tell them that Joy Kinnear is a real person's name.

;-)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:03 am
Such as..?
Off Topic, but,,,,,,,

My kids have fits of laughter when I tell them that Joy Kinnear is a real person's name.

;-)
Try and serve this Japanese booze when having one with Khmer friends:

They won't just love the taste of it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic