Does 'barang/farang' have a negative connotation? What would be equivalent terms in English?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Does 'barang/farang' have a negative connotation? What would be equivalent terms in English?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

JJJJS wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:58 pm So boratey = foreigner, barang/farang means 'white French foreigner' and there's definitely no negative connotations in the usage of the latter, ever. Glad that's all cleared up.
It can totally be used negatively, but generally it doesn't have negative connotations
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Does 'barang/farang' have a negative connotation? What would be equivalent terms in English?

Post by sigmoid »

JJJJS wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:32 pm
sigmoid wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:28 pm depends on the context
Could you elaborate on this please

As mentioned, when used in anger in derogatory tone, it can be negative. This is mainly with 'farang' in Thailand, especially if they add the word "ai" (ไอ้ - pronounced like the pronoun "I") beforehand.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

i would translate it as "NON-Thai"
work is for people who cant find truffles
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Barang (Khmer: បារាំង) is a Khmer word meaning French. It is often mispronounced as ba-réng. The correct pronunciation is bâ-râng, but pâ-râng is also acceptable. It is thought to be corruption of the word France but this may be a misconception.[verification needed] The term is related to the Thai term farang which has a similar meaning. In Malay, barang means "thing".

Khmer is the official language of Cambodia which was once a French protectorate called Cambodge in French. The French had many influences on the Khmer language, such as the pronunciation of Mercedes. Many technical terms used today in Khmer are of French origin.

In the Khmer language, the term barang has also become a non-pejorative word for a foreigner, particularly one of European ancestry, but some Khmer speakers might use it in a bad context. The term is becoming more popular now among travelers. It is even used by some expatriates living in Cambodia themselves.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

truffledog wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:30 pm i would translate it as "NON-Thai"
That's definitely wrong. Not all Non-Thais are referred to as "farang" in Thailand. For example, you'd never see a Thai call a Khmer or an Indian a "farang".

It generally means "Caucasian foreigner". The only common edge cases are African Americans; some Thais would call them "farang" while others wouldn't. Middle Easterners and Latinos that are light-skinned enough usually "qualify".
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Alex wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:53 pm
truffledog wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:30 pm i would translate it as "NON-Thai"
That's definitely wrong. Not all Non-Thais are referred to as "farang" in Thailand. For example, you'd never see a Thai call a Khmer or an Indian a "farang".

It generally means "Caucasian foreigner". The only common edge cases are African Americans; some Thais would call them "farang" while others wouldn't. Middle Easterners and Latinos that are light-skinned enough usually "qualify".
i would translate it as "NON-Thai" with a few exeptions.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

For those of us with a little further curiosity, would someone in the know please write Boratey in khmer?

Google obfuscate offers this-
Foreigner= ជនបរទេស (chonobartes)

As ever, the over-simplification and classification of foreigners in things like news articles becomes slightly clearer.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

As a French, i'd like to know more about the potential negative connotation of these words, especially around the time of Cambodia's independence, if anyone here knows some old stuff about this transition era.... Maybe it had a bad connotation when only meant for Frenches, which was overturned by the even worse time of the genocide ? Then was used for westerners in general ? Connotation may evolve with time & context...

As for me, i was much more called a Buleh (Albinos - common word, but weird reading of my skin tone, i'm as dark as the local chineses at least, when tanned, but still blond, i'll give you that), or a Londo (Belanda->Holland->Dutch) because i was in Indonesia, that was colonized 300 years by Holland. It doesn't have a genuine bad meaning behind it, but it is still the name for the foreign ex- oppressor, so it triggers some connotations nevertheless...
I also started to correct my interlocutors by asking to be called a foreigner (orang asing), or a French (Perancis) as i certainly not want to look as a Dutch to them.

An old French advertisement for Liebig "With real meat extracts" which reads weird, written right under these two women illustrations...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:37 pm For those of us with a little further curiosity, would someone in the know please write Boratey in khmer?

Google obfuscate offers this-
Foreigner= ជនបរទេស (chonobartes)

As ever, the over-simplification and classification of foreigners in things like news articles becomes slightly clearer.
Yeah, that's correct.

The first part ជន simply means people.
The second part បរទេស means foreign or foreigner.

Don't be confused by various transliterations of non-germanic scripts into Engrish.
Here are a couple of dictionary references, both of which tend to be trustworthy:

http://dict.antkh.com/dictionaries/%e1% ... 9e%9f.aspx

http://dictionary.tovnah.com/?q=%E1%9E% ... teria=word
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Very interesting discussion. It seems the words have a Persian/Arabic origin.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/culture-c ... -53146.php
We all know that in Thai it describes a European person. However, what are the origins and the meanings of this term? It is an assured fact that the word derives from ‘Frank’, a word that originally referred to a Germanic speaking people in the region of today’s France.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic