Computer Troubles

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Computer Troubles

Post by The Add Jay »

Can someone please recommend me a place where I can buy a video card and install it and also help me troubleshoot some issues?

I have hit so many dead ends the last week or so in finding a good shop. Perhaps a Westerner?
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Computer Troubles

Post by StroppyChops »

The Add Jay wrote:Can someone please recommend me a place where I can buy a video card and install it and also help me troubleshoot some issues?

I have hit so many dead ends the last week or so in finding a good shop. Perhaps a Westerner?
What are the issues?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Any idiot can install a video card. Even I could do it. Laptop or desktop? Kampuchea Krom is crawling with IT shops that could do it.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

This place is good, Tuol tom Pong area: http://www.chantracomputer.com/
Video cards just slot in but you also need to install a driver.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

If you're running Windows 7 or 8 any card you buy here is likely to auto install. If you're unsure though, get the shop to install it - but watch over their shoulder, just tell them you want to learn.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

I have heard so many horror stories bringing computers too various shops around P.P

Im trying to play Age of Empires Online with my friends and Family but my Cursor is invisible. So its a video card issue I believe and Im using a laptop that was found in King Tuts Tomb so when the Khmer see it they get all bent out of shape and want me to buy a new one. But it works great so I have no intentions on replacing something that works.

Thanks for help guys.

Cheers!

Ordinem ad Imperium
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The Add Jay wrote:Im using a laptop that was found in King Tuts Tomb...
Very high probability you're not going to find a graphics card for that, my friend.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

John Bingham wrote:This place is good, Tuol tom Pong area: http://www.chantracomputer.com/
Video cards just slot in but you also need to install a driver.
This shop as a good website. I know cambodia IT who use the web site (good listing of product) but would never consider buying there. To make a long story short they do not trust the owner.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Have you tried backing the whole hard drive up and reinstalling Windows and the game on it's own without any other programs installed? It seems strange that you would need to buy a new graphic card. sounds more like a driver conflict to me.
Backing up, cleaning the hard drive and reinstalling is probably the easiest thing to try without greater knowledge.

If your hard drive is big enough, you could also re partition it into 2 bootable drives using Partition Magic http://partition-magic.soft32.com/ and install another version of windows on it then the game. You won't lose any data you have already as it re partitions it on the fly. All easy to follow instructions included in the free program.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Thanks for all the replies!!! I will try everything you have mentioned.

Enjoy the rest of the Holiday. :bow:

Ordinem ad Imperium
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic