Computer Troubles

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Sraomcheung Ayng
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: Computer Troubles

Post by Sraomcheung Ayng »

juansweetpotato wrote:Have you tried backing the whole hard drive up and reinstalling Windows and the game on it's own without any other programs installed? It seems strange that you would need to buy a new graphic card. sounds more like a driver conflict to me.
Backing up, cleaning the hard drive and reinstalling is probably the easiest thing to try without greater knowledge.

If your hard drive is big enough, you could also re partition it into 2 bootable drives using Partition Magic http://partition-magic.soft32.com/ and install another version of windows on it then the game. You won't lose any data you have already as it re partitions it on the fly. All easy to follow instructions included in the free program.
WTF? This is unecessary overkill! The OP is obviously NOT a computer genius and you are advising him to try to backup, reinstall windows, try to config drivers, and repartition his drive. None of these things (other than reinstalling windows) would help his cursor reappear! Big recipe for disaster! DO NOT DO THIS! If you don't believe me, ask Orange Dragon. He knows his shit.

JSP: You should probably not give computer advice in the future. Stick to things which you are proficient, which are..........what? Helping destitute brits? Oh wait, Nick still is pretty fucked up in Cambodia. Hmm.

OP: you probably don't need a new graphics card. Try finding the mouse/pointer/cursor settings in your game and in windows and play with those. If you still can't figure it out, I would be happy to take a look at it at one of my favorite watering holes for the price of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or .... $2 jugs of Angkor. PM me. I'll be back in the KOW on Friday.

PS: just a warning - Vlad might show up! He knows where I drink! :shock:

:crazy: <-the resemblance is uncanny!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Looks like AIA is back. lol What a twat.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Sraomcheung Ayng
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

juansweetpotato wrote:Looks like AIA is back. lol What a twat.
Ha ha ha! Nope! You have NO idea who I am, but I do know who you are!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

^weirdo. OD a bit of support on the comp front please, unless you are enjoying the attempted character assassination of course.
Sraomcheung Ayng
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

juansweetpotato wrote:^weirdo. OD a bit of support on the comp front please, unless you are enjoying the attempted character assassination of course.
You really know how to influence people and make friends, don't you?! I'm not assassinating your character...you do that very well yourself! Wow! There is one thing you are good at!

Ok. That was a personal jibe from me. I usually don't feed trolls, but you just make it so easy! At least I haven't called you a "twat" or "weirdo"!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Whatever else I am, at least I'm honest. And I try to help where possible.
Sock it to me baby!
Sraomcheung Ayng
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

OP: did you fix the problem?
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Yes and No. Bottom line is I got everything I wanted to work. I used too know may way around a computer fairly well when I was younger, but now how rapid a change everything is I sorta gave up on what the newest thing is.

Thx!
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The Add Jay wrote:Yes and No. Bottom line is I got everything I wanted to work. I used too know may way around a computer fairly well when I was younger, but now how rapid a change everything is I sorta gave up on what the newest thing is.

Thx!
Even though the componentry does the same things in a laptop, the format can be very different to a PC. There's a new generation of personal computers around the corner that will make everything we currently know as a box-style workstation look like dinosaurs. We're starting to see it in micro-PCs and PC-on-a-stick technology, but it's about to get smaller and become embeddable - imagine a sheet of smart glass (actually, Gorillaglass made by Corning) with an almost transparent computer chip, including the graphic card, embedded right in the glass. Instant wall screen display computer, dimmable window, etc... and then make it wi-fi and Bluetooth enabled. Have you noticed the new "Cast to..." function on any new devices? Basically, you're watching a YouTube clip or Skyping a video call on your phone, and you can instantly "throw" the session to a nearby wall or window.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

StroppyChops wrote:
The Add Jay wrote:Im using a laptop that was found in King Tuts Tomb...
Very high probability you're not going to find a graphics card for that, my friend.
Chops, stop busting his Cheops.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic