Nate Thayer on go fund me

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Nate Thayer on go fund me

Post by phuketrichard »

One would think he would have been better prepared but>>>
Some of you may know Nate Thayer, the legendary daredevil journalist of the renowned “Far Eastern Economic Review.” Nate’s 1997 interview of Pol Pot gave the Cambodia Khmer Rouge butcher his deserved death knell — it was journalism at its best, and at its most dangerous, while serving humanity at large. With characteristic courage, Nate has interviewed other dangerous villains over the years, exposing them to public scrutiny.

Now Nate Thayer, who is facing critical health issues and possible homelessness, is in a bad way.

“My health is not so good these days. I can't walk anymore. My argument with that Chinese anti-tank mine has come back to bite me in the butt. I had major surgery on my foot early this year and sepsis infection spread throughout my body. I've two heart attacks and two strokes and the Dr's say I will never walk again, at least as I defined walking.”

“It is OK. I am fond of my feet. They have tolerated a lot over the last 62 years, but they want to lop off the right one.”

He has had Covid twice. He is about to be homeless in about a week. He knows he isn’t long for this world, but he has absolutely no self pity — some of the old Nate…

The least we could do is not let him die on the streets…
https://www.gofundme.com/f/dqbmr5-nate- ... pport-fund
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
violet
Expatriate

Re: Nate Thayer on go fund me

Post by violet »

Updates

8 October 2022
by James Mulvenon, Organiser
All:

One of Nate's friends who has been taking care of his dog reached out and gave me an update. Nate has been in the hospital since late Sunday, which is the second time in a week. He is okay for the moment, but very sedated. Please keep him in your thoughts.

Warmest,
James

29 September 2022
Got a great update about Nate this morning. He has used your generous donations to pay all of his back rent and bills, and even pay his rent forward through the end of the calendar year. Now that is stabilized and he can focus on his health. He has a long overdue medical appointment this afternoon. If I get any more releasable info I will pass it along. He wants everyone to know that he deeply appreciates your generosity in his time of need.

19 September 2022
Nate has successfully added his bank info to the site and over $26K has been successfully transferred to help him avoid eviction and cover his expenses. Thanks to everyone who has donated! Warmest, James
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

His foot is a lot better now.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:38 am His foot is a lot better now.

That's quite the piece of cover art
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's just some sort of fan art he was sent. Pretty funny.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Pol Pot looks like Kim Jong Ill from Team America.

“Ronrery, I’m so ronery”
People of the world, spice up your life.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

mannanman wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:28 pm Pol Pot looks like Kim Jong Ill from Team America.

“Ronrery, I’m so ronery”
What makes that even funnier is how it's based on a real picture

Retarded dictators don't really know originality I guess
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:18 pm One would think he would have been better prepared but>>
You're exactly the same on Facebook as well. Doesn't matter if someone has had something stolen from them, someone has died, someone asking for a tip etc, you have to chime in with some bitchy, snarky, snide comment every time.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

mannanman wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:28 pm Pol Pot looks like Kim Jong Ill from Team America.
It's from a photo by Elizabeth Becker. They don't look all that alike except for the Zhongshan - style suits.

ImageImage
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I prefer that to the Beijing bikini.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic