Buying Thai Baht - here or there?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Buying Thai Baht - here or there?

Post by ExPenhMan »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:20 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:49 pm I'm a fan of Vasu, as noted above, at the corner of Sukhumvit and Suk Soi 7. Right under the Nana BTS Station. Here are their latest rates:

http://www.vasuexchange.com

Also, at Swampy Airport, on the downtown train level -- one below the luggage/customs floor -- are more exchange kiosks, although not all were open last May. Might check the muslim currency kiosk, if they're open. There's a Kasikorn Bank there too, though they're pretty stingy.

And yes, you need your passport for all exchanges in Thailand.
URGENT
@phuketrichard
@Alex
@Kammekor
@ExPenhMan
@Cowshed Cowboy

Is there any problem with old 1000THB notes? I am about to buy more from PP but need to know if old notes are a problem.

Thanks guys...

No worries. I've had both in my wallet and spending them all week. And there have been no news stories about this (non) issue. :)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:26 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:20 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:49 pm I'm a fan of Vasu, as noted above, at the corner of Sukhumvit and Suk Soi 7. Right under the Nana BTS Station. Here are their latest rates:

http://www.vasuexchange.com

Also, at Swampy Airport, on the downtown train level -- one below the luggage/customs floor -- are more exchange kiosks, although not all were open last May. Might check the muslim currency kiosk, if they're open. There's a Kasikorn Bank there too, though they're pretty stingy.

And yes, you need your passport for all exchanges in Thailand.
URGENT
@phuketrichard
@Alex
@Kammekor
@ExPenhMan
@Cowshed Cowboy

Is there any problem with old 1000THB notes? I am about to buy more from PP but need to know if old notes are a problem.

Thanks guys...

No worries. I've had both in my wallet and spending them all week. And there have been no news stories about this (non) issue. :)
Thanks, I needed to know before I splash out on the rest. Cheers mate.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:26 pm
Confirmed.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Believe you me this one gives the best rates

https://www.superrichthailand.com/#!/en
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

FYI
lowest since dec 2006

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

I’m at the Superrich currency exchange right now queueing to change some USD & CAD. The Thai baht indeed looking very bad across the board

all I can say is “up yours prayut 🖕🖕🖕

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

yong wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:33 pm I’m at the Superrich currency exchange right now queueing to change some USD & CAD. The Thai baht indeed looking very bad across the board

I got 36.5 from the exchange guy at Central Market.

I was going there anyway so the tuk tuk fare I count as zero. It took 1 minutes to trade. no passport, no nothing. I was back home 3 minutes later. I lost a few bucks on the rate but I didn't have the hassle of walking to and using the BTS, finding the exchange and faffing about with their bureaucracy, and then having to go home right away with a pile of cash and my passport. I'm not going to be one of those people who goes out with 60,000THB and their passport and ends up with neither 5 hours later.

It looks like I am going to need every one of those Baht given the prices of things here, particularly Doc Fuel:

Beer: 90B / $2.50 cheapest so far.

Anywhere near or in a bar with women (Nana plaza) and that jumps to around 150B+ / $4.10

Most expensive so far was last night, a roof top bar called wallflowers, the roof top bar (3rd floor so fuck all to see). Ugly small cheap wooden furniture that is uncomfortable as hell and all tightly packed together, but apparently is very trendy, so that's supposed to make it better.

Beer Lao - 330ml bottle - 220B PLUS 10% service charge, so 484B for 2 bottles which is $13.26. I don't mind paying silly prices for a great product, but this place was shite and even if beer was 50c I wouldn't have stayed.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Wal ... 00.5141293
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:57 pm
yong wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:33 pm I’m at the Superrich currency exchange right now queueing to change some USD & CAD. The Thai baht indeed looking very bad across the board

I got 36.5 from the exchange guy at Central Market.

I was going there anyway so the tuk tuk fare I count as zero. It took 1 minutes to trade. no passport, no nothing. I was back home 3 minutes later. I lost a few bucks on the rate but I didn't have the hassle of walking to and using the BTS, finding the exchange and faffing about with their bureaucracy, and then having to go home right away with a pile of cash and my passport. I'm not going to be one of those people who goes out with 60,000THB and their passport and ends up with neither 5 hours later.

It looks like I am going to need every one of those Baht given the prices of things here, particularly Doc Fuel:

Beer: 90B / $2.50 cheapest so far.

Anywhere near or in a bar with women (Nana plaza) and that jumps to around 150B+ / $4.10

Most expensive so far was last night, a roof top bar called wallflowers, the roof top bar (3rd floor so fuck all to see). Ugly small cheap wooden furniture that is uncomfortable as hell and all tightly packed together, but apparently is very trendy, so that's supposed to make it better.

Beer Lao - 330ml bottle - 220B PLUS 10% service charge, so 484B for 2 bottles which is $13.26. I don't mind paying silly prices for a great product, but this place was shite and even if beer was 50c I wouldn't have stayed.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Wal ... 00.5141293
For something different: Get on the MRT and go to Silom Station -- based on where you were, three stops from Wat Mangkon MRT or two stops from Hua Lamphong. Exit onto Silom -- most who get off there are exiting onto Silom Road. Follow them. Wallk 10 minutes down the left side of Silom to O'Malley's Irish Pub in the United Centre. It's a large basement bar with the entrance visible from outside. Good food, but can't remember the pint prices. Has good happy hour prices though. In fact, this used to be called the Pintsman, with good regular live music.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's been some years ago since I was up the road slightly (forgot the name of the money changers) from Central Market changing pound notes, I remember getting a good rate at the time.
Thailand! Seems that there are a few expats visiting, are they going on holiday or moving out of Cambodia?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by kagi »

Worried you might be holding one of the counterfeit 1,000-baht notes in circulation? Police have advised people they can do a simple check to tell whether their banknotes are real or fake.
The advice came after netizens reported that counterfeit 1,000-baht banknotes were being used to purchase goods in Udon Thani's Muang and Phen districts.

On Saturday, National Police spokesperson Archayon Kraithong offered an easy way to distinguish between the real notes and the forgeries.

He said people could hold up their 1,000-baht note to the light and check the dashed line that runs from top to bottom. A genuine banknote will show the dashed line printed with "1000 บาท".

This imprint is missing from the fake notes.

Archayon also advised that the dashed line on genuine banknotes could be damaged or mismatched from heavy use.

He added that counterfeiting coins or banknotes is a crime punishable by imprisonment of 10 years to life and a fine of 20,000-40,000 baht.

It is also a crime to use fake banknotes, even if you do not realise they are counterfeit.

Those caught using fake banknotes without knowing they are counterfeit face up to 10 years in prison, a maximum 20,000 baht fine or both.

Anyone who intentionally uses fake banknotes faces between one and 15 years in prison and a fine of 2,000-30,000 baht.

Archayon said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered police to crack down on counterfeiters as fake banknotes cause trouble to people and the country's economy.

People with information about fake banknotes or counterfeiting activity can contact 24-hour police hotlines at 191 or 1599, he added.

The nation.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic