I hate Australia

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: I hate Australia

Post by Chad Sexington »

Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:13 pm
orichá wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:25 pm
Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:36 pm Since Australian Border Force took my phone and downloaded everything onto their government computer searching for WHAT ?, I am getting many security alerts from Google and attempts to sign in on Yahoo from a device they do not recognize.

How often are we told to dont share your passwords with anyone especially with some person you dont know or trust.
Well, you did not share you passwords with the border guards, presumably... Change all your passwords right now and keep them in a passworded notepad file. I doubt very much they "downloaded everything" or anything from your phone.

I think I know why this happened. First, it has nothing to do with you particularly. It has to do with some other alert that you don't know about, which the border guards received regarding a possible arrival of a courier or mule or king-pin. That means they had a vague warning without explicit detail as to the identity of whoever they are looking for. Targeting you would have had something to do with your origin in Cambodia. Were other passengers coming mostly from Singapore or other origins?

Note,, that me being pulled out of the line to be searched happens to me every 6 months when I return to Australia. It's been happening to me for more than 10 years. This is the first time that I have carried my phone with me as I have one in Cambodia and one in Australia with different numbers, the same with my laptop's.
Have you always been returning from Cambodia when you’ve been singled out for questioning, or has it also happened when you’ve returned to Australia from somewhere other than Cambodia?
Also, do you travel alone, or with another person or group/family?
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Dear thread starter @Tootsfriend i really hate to mention this or say this or even ask you this but what is your race and what passport do you carry? I have a reason to ask you this seriously because there was a period of my life where I have to enter through Melbourne at least 4 times a year for quarterly reviews and annual planning and I witnessed very often some people of certain race are targeted for more detailed scrutiny. Obviously I do not expect an answer from you about yourself. I’m just posting my observations.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

yong wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:11 pm Dear thread starter @Tootsfriend i really hate to mention this or say this or even ask you this but what is your race and what passport do you carry? I have a reason to ask you this seriously because there was a period of my life where I have to enter through Melbourne at least 4 times a year for quarterly reviews and annual planning and I witnessed very often some people of certain race are targeted for more detailed scrutiny. Obviously I do not expect an answer from you about yourself. I’m just posting my observations.
Was it the Eskimos, the Papuans, the Touaregs ?
Just pick a bloody number !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Lusch ... atic_scale

That's an interesting skin tone color chart, they even included a "dark skinned Avatar character" shade in dark blue in 36, which i find a bit weird...made by an anthropologist though
Can't find my shade of skin in that mess, and i'm just a whitey with years of motorcycle tan on my arms, i must be an unregistered specie yet i guess...
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

yong wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:11 pm Dear thread starter @Tootsfriend i really hate to mention this or say this or even ask you this but what is your race and what passport do you carry? I have a reason to ask you this seriously because there was a period of my life where I have to enter through Melbourne at least 4 times a year for quarterly reviews and annual planning and I witnessed very often some people of certain race are targeted for more detailed scrutiny. Obviously I do not expect an answer from you about yourself. I’m just posting my observations.

My skin colour is as white as white without even one tattoo to discolour it and my hair or what's left of it is the same colour. I have a Australia passport .
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I'm sure you mentioned your age in some past post.
I would imagine that with the number of ageing Aussies who have/had been in Cambodia in recent years with,,,, how to say it without offence?,,,, a liking for young ones. If that was their profiling, then it would also account for them downloading the contents of your phone.

We've all been targeted at some time, and yes, it's annoying. But we can just try to come out of it knowing that we managed to waste their time.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Good point by Chad in is post
I can in a way understand why many of you seem to think you are singled out, being pulled out of the line of passengers, the feeling of being treated like a common criminal.
I also don't disagree that some of the border guard's go on a power surge.
But, like the OP has named the thread title "I hate Australia"! Being pissed at a situation, the inconvenience, loss of time, and possibly a little humiliation with being singled out, and pulled out of the line.
The border guard's have a job to do, they are on the front line, drug traffickers, pedophiles and so on will be whittled out of those lines, over all they're trying to keep there country and it's people safe from crime and the potential criminal.
Am I missing something else about the thread?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Born-Confused »

Do you wear a Hawaiian shirt when you return?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:04 am Good point by Chad in is post
I can in a way understand why many of you seem to think you are singled out, being pulled out of the line of passengers, the feeling of being treated like a common criminal.
I also don't disagree that some of the border guard's go on a power surge.
But, like the OP has named the thread title "I hate Australia"! Being pissed at a situation, the inconvenience, loss of time, and possibly a little humiliation with being singled out, and pulled out of the line.
The border guard's have a job to do, they are on the front line, drug traffickers, pedophiles and so on will be whittled out of those lines, over all they're trying to keep there country and it's people safe from crime and the potential criminal.
Am I missing something else about the thread?
You most certainly are.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Here is another reason for me to hate Australia. Recently having a bit of a health problem I decided to upgrade my will, changing from a Government Public Trust to one made by a lawyer . Lots of bad news about the Public Trust ripping off beneficiaries and overcharging fees and giving wrong misleading information. The lawyers told me something that I was never told before .
Take note Australians. Any money that is given to a beneficiary overseas will have 31.5 % foreign tax taken before the beneficiary gets their money. In my case as I have no-one in Australia and all proceeds from my house would go overseas , if a house was worth $500,000 , the government would collect roughly a cool $150,000 for doing nothing. That aint going to happen if I have my way.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:36 am I'm sure you mentioned your age in some past post.
I would imagine that with the number of ageing Aussies who have/had been in Cambodia in recent years with,,,, how to say it without offence?,,,, a liking for young ones. If that was their profiling, then it would also account for them downloading the contents of your phone.

We've all been targeted at some time, and yes, it's annoying. But we can just try to come out of it knowing that we managed to waste their time.
@Tootsfriend

If you are sure you are getting pulled up again the next time, here's a fun game you can play.

Keep a password protected file marked "Private" in the photos section.

Fill it with many paragraphs like:

aweurycmlowyeo;chm;oeh;ohw;ofx;,fjwloho
woiefhxhwieulrhiheru;qw#[zPX#PQW[[K#KFX[
#[QPWKZ#[P;EJIFXPjfpxjwej/jwefwejfjwéwxk

etc etc.

They could spend hours running their anti-encryption software trying, and failing, to crack it open. If they ask you about it just tell them you are fucking with them, like they are fucking with you.

Caveat; your 4 hour delay might turn into a 4 day delay, but that would make a good thread too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic