I hate Australia

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I hate Australia

Post by Kammekor »

SlowJoe wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:35 pm
I'm not trying to rub salt in the wound or anything, I'm just saying that I had a bit of a similar experience (twice) in the U.S. (as a Canadian) and several ridiculous experiences from my "homeland" and I took it (amongst other things) as a sign that Asia was calling my name for a permanent move.

Since then, my life has felt a lot more at peace being here.
If the authorities here for some reason would get an interest in you I am pretty sure you wished you were in Oz, US, Canada or whatever.....
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:39 pm
SlowJoe wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:35 pm
I'm not trying to rub salt in the wound or anything, I'm just saying that I had a bit of a similar experience (twice) in the U.S. (as a Canadian) and several ridiculous experiences from my "homeland" and I took it (amongst other things) as a sign that Asia was calling my name for a permanent move.

Since then, my life has felt a lot more at peace being here.
If the authorities here for some reason would get an interest in you I am pretty sure you wished you were in Oz, US, Canada or whatever.....
I'm just saying over the years I've had more peace here, and the experiences I had with authorities home are what pushed me over the edge to stay away, that's all.

There's bad here, and bad there, but I'm under no illusion that there's any safety in the west vs. here. If you get a bad cop after you, you're fucked no matter where you are.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:28 pm The subject has already been discussed on how long it takes from the time you step off the plane in Cambodia till the moment you are on the sidewalk catching a bus or tuk-tuk. I know the times I have done it is usually about 12 to 15 minuets.

Now compare that to the time it takes to do the same in Australia. Every time I land and that is usually twice a year, Border Force always pull me out of the line and do the big inspection thing of my small backpack which contains a spare shirt and underpants , usually not much more. They go through every detail written in my notebook asking who is this, what is this and why. Today was no different , 300 plus passengers and they targeted only me, and kept me held up for 4 hours. . Why ? Why ? Why ? I have NO criminal record , no debts and not even a parking ticket. I dress respectably, no tats and certainly dont look like a terrorist or even a backpacker. One time I even traveled with no carry on bag and they kept me waiting for 4 hours incase someone else was carrying my baggage.
This time I took my phone with me and they wanted the pin to unlock it and do a search on it warning me that I would be fined $3000 if I refused. They had it for a hour or more and downloaded everything on to a computer before returning it. There is nothing suspicious or bad on my phone so there is probably nothing to worry about you might say, but I feel as if my life has been violated . Every photo, message, emails, passwords , google map showing where I went and on what day etc is now on a government computer that can probable be accessed by hundreds of government departments.

As I said before, I feel as if my life has been violated, in fact so bad I had a bit of a mental breakdown and I think its getting closer to the day when I will be burning the bridges to Australia and not going back.
What a stunning story, just to say the least.
Boredom is like a shroud
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

In the 90s I used to get pulled a lot crossing borders. France and the UK were the worst. The French border units thought anyone who didn't look completely normal was a narcotics trafficker and the UK had heavy cops who thought anyone from Ireland was a serious threat to security and was probably on a bombing mission. I hope they enjoyed wasting huge sums of tax-payers money on finding fuck all. Twats.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I went to Australia intending to stay for up to six months. I left after 10 days. It's like a shit version of England on the edge of a desert. Plus the people are arseholes. What an over rated dump. Never again
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Since Australian Border Force took my phone and downloaded everything onto their government computer searching for WHAT ?, I am getting many security alerts from Google and attempts to sign in on Yahoo from a device they do not recognize.

How often are we told to dont share your passwords with anyone especially with some person you dont know or trust.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:36 pm Since Australian Border Force took my phone and downloaded everything onto their government computer searching for WHAT ?, I am getting many security alerts from Google and attempts to sign in on Yahoo from a device they do not recognize.

How often are we told to dont share your passwords with anyone especially with some person you dont know or trust.
Well, you did not share you passwords with the border guards, presumably... Change all your passwords right now and keep them in a passworded notepad file. I doubt very much they "downloaded everything" or anything from your phone.

I think I know why this happened. First, it has nothing to do with you particularly. It has to do with some other alert that you don't know about, which the border guards received regarding a possible arrival of a courier or mule or king-pin. That means they had a vague warning without explicit detail as to the identity of whoever they are looking for. Targeting you would have had something to do with your origin in Cambodia. Were other passengers coming mostly from Singapore or other origins?
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

I always get bomb scanned. Told this to a friend that I was travelling with & when they pulled me aside he had a good laugh.
I suspect it's political correctness as not to stereo type while in full view of Muhammad & Ali at the airport.
The last one was a little Maori chick who threatened to throw me out of the airport & said she didn't need my shit when I got a little pissed off :?
You can hardly blame Australia for a power trip from some wannabe cops.
Though in your case they must of had a much greater suspicion!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Just out of curiosity, I checked to see if the British Border Force could also confiscate someone's phone and dowload the data without a court order also.

Seems they've been able to do it since 2013.

Police in the UK have the power to seize mobile devices from any traveler entering the country, and can retain their personal data for as long as they see fit, according to a report from the Telegraph. Such blanket powers are outlined under UK counterterrorism laws, and are broadly applied to thousands of travelers each year — regardless of whether police establish grounds for suspicion before confiscating a device. The revelations, published late Friday, have raised concerns among civil libertarians and privacy advocates, and an independent reviewer is expected to propose tighter checks on border police this week.

https://www.theverge.com/2013/7/15/4524 ... terror-law
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

orichá wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:25 pm
Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:36 pm Since Australian Border Force took my phone and downloaded everything onto their government computer searching for WHAT ?, I am getting many security alerts from Google and attempts to sign in on Yahoo from a device they do not recognize.

Well, you did not share you passwords with the border guards, presumably... Change all your passwords right now and keep them in a passworded notepad file. I doubt very much they "downloaded everything" or anything from your phone.

I think I know why this happened. First, it has nothing to do with you particularly. It has to do with some other alert that you don't know about, which the border guards received regarding a possible arrival of a courier or mule or king-pin. That means they had a vague warning without explicit detail as to the identity of whoever they are looking for. Targeting you would have had something to do with your origin in Cambodia. Were other passengers coming mostly from Singapore or other origins?

Note,, that me being pulled out of the line to be searched happens to me every 6 months when I return to Australia. It's been happening to me for more than 10 years. This is the first time that I have carried my phone with me as I have one in Cambodia and one in Australia with different numbers, the same with my laptop's.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic