New fridge - a mini one if possible?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

New fridge - a mini one if possible?

Post by SlackWaster »

Hello all
Hope you're well.

Against some stiff competition this still might be the most boring thread ever on this forum.

I'm looking for a new fridge, but if possible a mini one. I don't cook often and don't want to unnecessarily use up space or power with something half empty.

Any assistance much appreciated.

Thank you.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New fridge - a mini one is possible?

Post by Kammekor »

SlackWaster wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:56 pm Hello all
Hope you're well.

Against some stiff competition this still might be the most boring thread ever on this forum.

I'm looking for a new fridge, but if possible a mini one. I don't cook often and don't want to unnecessarily use up space or power with something half empty.

Any assistance much appreciated.

Thank you.
I used a small 'table fridge' for years but it wasn't really cost effective. Buying price and power used were relatively high so when it broke down I switched to a larger fridge and my electric bill didn't go up.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New fridge - a mini one if possible?

Post by SlowJoe »

^Agreed, my bigger fridges use the same or less power than the mini ones often times.

They also last longer, my mini fridges tended to give out after 2-3 years but the bigger ones sometimes 10 years they were fine.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I recommend getting a narrow fridge, they don't use up much space or power.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I would also recommend getting a quiet/silent fridge assuming you have a small room. The noise of some cheap chinese stuff can be really disturbing (even more in non aircon-rooms when they run hi-on all the time).
work is for people who cant find truffles
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

SlackWaster wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:56 pm this still might be the most boring thread ever on this forum.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Small like the one's in many hotel room, few drinks and a few treats, chocolate and ice cream, milk and so on is ideal. Shop around, not too much money for one I am sure, lots of Thai makes on the market, better quality also could be a Japanese make, but again cheaper if you buy a very good used one.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

If you're in Phnom Penh, try Sunsimexco. They should be having a pre Pchum Ben holiday sale. It won't be advertised on their website. And the 2 locations that I know of, could have different items and different prices, so you have to go in real life.

You could also drive or walk up and down Mao Tse Toung street, between Monivong and st. 173(?). Or search on khmer24.com and get some addresses. Everything I have bought from a seller on khmer24 had an extra foreigner tax added (they always said that they hadn't updated their internet pricing yet).

There are always the shops that surround central mkt, more pricey but quick and easy. Always find out where the warranty "repairs" are done first because you might have haul it out to BFE to get it done.

The Akira and Midea brands are very cheap, but of very low quality and will probably fail shortly after the warranty expires.

I agree with the others that a mini fridge is probably not the best choice, and a taller, slim model, with a separate no-frost freezer, will be much more useful over a longer period of time. But if you just want a mini, and you don't need it to last more than a year or two, then just get a used one. Try khmer24 or shops on MTT again. Many hotels have shut down and there seems to be an abundance of used hotel stuff out there.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

go to global house and Makro
a nd forget those mini fridges<
after u have a fridge, u will find u "need" more things kept cold
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

Also, in defense of a larger fridge, I keep all my spices, rice, pasta, vitamins, meds, etc., in my refrigerator. Insects and the humidity destroys them quickly.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic