China's land reclamation in the South China Sea

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

China's land reclamation in the South China Sea

Post by StroppyChops »

So what's going on here?

Those naughty Chinese - look how much of the ocean they claim, even though UNCLOS doesn't agree. It's like Settlers of Catan on steroids.

Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: China's land reclamation in the South China Sea

Post by frank lee bent »

they are moving armaments out there the past few days.

causing a deal of concern.

uncle sam says desist.

doubt they will.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

frank lee bent wrote:they are moving armaments out there the past few days.

causing a deal of concern.

uncle sam says desist.

doubt they will.
I saw mention of artillery - as my learned colleagues would say, ungood.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

122 mm guns are just the openers. Those islands they are building are aircraft carriers within easy reach of Manila and Taipei, Saigon.

Same thing happened in the prelude to WW2 with japanese occupation of micronesia.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

If you look at the geography they have no claim, but will push it as they are getting stronger every day. I wonder how many subs from both nations (US/China) are setting off these islands?

Aircraft carriers? They need them as their airplanes are junk. They recently brought out a new super fighter plane and the Chinese airforce doesn't want to buy it as its junk.

An example of fine Chinese aircraft, look at the turboprop MA60. Cambodia Bayon Airlines is buying 30 of them to fly in Cambodia. They are a copy of the Russian AN-24 (you know the airplane on top of the building in Snooky and the model that crashed trying to land at Snooky airport a few years back. The MA60 is not licensed to fly in America, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand. Fine Chinese workmenship, Not! A copy of a crappy Russian design? There is something wrong with this picture, can you find it?

In small arms, the Chinese have brought out rifles in a different caliber than NATO or Combloc rounds. This is so no one else can use them. Great thinking, Not! They will never be able to sell them to counties with large stocks of NATO/Combloc ammo.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I wouldn't write off China or Russia, and I also wouldn't put it past either of them to ally with the other just to cause shit.

I doubt America could fight/win a war with both, they'd have to ask permission from Nutternyahoo first, and then they'd have to borrow money to fund it.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Doesn't look good. Would the US go to war on this ? Seems like the Chinese could keep land-grabbing little by little until it's deal done.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 86206.html
The United States has issued a strong warning to China over its land reclamation programme in the South China Sea.
Responding to the allegations, Hua Chunying, China’s Foreign Military spokeswoman, said: “[The US] should stop making any provocative remarks, because such remarks do not ease the controversies in the South China Sea, but they also will aggravate the regional peace and stability.”

The US has been flying surveillance aircraft in the region, prompting China to file a formal protest.

China has said the islands are its territory and that the buildings and other infrastructure are for public service use and to support fishermen.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Hahaha, the 2 nastiest nations in terms of foreign policy on the planet. Who to support? I may have to side with the yankees on this one, dog help me.

Where do I by my flag?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

The US wins, end of story against China and Russia. A war between them requires naval and air superiority and for the moment, at least, it's a foregone conclusion that the Americans win in both spheres... Russia vs. Europe or China vs. Asia might have different outcomes but the US can't be beaten by China and/or Russia today.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
CJM555
Expatriate

Post by CJM555 »

I think it's ever so slightly contradictory for US/UK representatives to be up in arms with regards to Island disputes and/or land reclamation;

M'lud, respectfully, exhibit one [1] - The Indian Ocean Islands known as Diego Garcia;

"Diego Garcia Military Base: Islanders Forcibly Deported"
http://www.globalresearch.ca/diego-garc ... rted/15840
27 October 2009

"Diego Garcia had been a British possession until 1966, when London allowed the U.S. to use it as a military base in exchange for cancelling a $14 million British debt for a military hardware purchase."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic