China's land reclamation in the South China Sea

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: China's land reclamation in the South China Sea

Post by frank lee bent »

Lookin like the Japanese pre-WW II to me at least.
that nails it.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Very good (long) article from the Guardian :
What’s behind Beijing’s drive to control the South China Sea?

China’s startling attempt to assert control over vast waters has alarmed nearby countries and escalated tensions with the US. Howard W French reports from Hainan, the island at the heart of Xi Jinping’s expansionist ambitions
[Extract:]
... I had come in hopes of getting a glimpse of the closest thing in China to Pearl Harbor.

Just as a fast-expanding US used that naval base, beginning late in the 19th century, to project American power deep into the Pacific, an ocean that it would eventually come to thoroughly dominate, China is leveraging Hainan island to press some startling claims – not to mere dominance, but for rightful possession of virtually the entire South China Sea, a body of water that encompasses 1.35 million square miles, and through which more than $5tn in ship-borne trade passes every year.

China’s neighbours have watched with growing alarm as Beijing has used maritime vessels, often setting out from Hainan, to harass and intimidate the far smaller rival claimants whose littoral territories both enclose the South China Sea and lend it definition.
Recently, for example, China sent a large flotilla of ships close to the shores of Vietnam as it deployed a billion-dollar oil rig that an official of the China National Offshore Oil Corporation described as “our national mobile territory”, while it made a show of prospecting for crude in deep water. As it did so, China kept a collection of much smaller, protesting Vietnamese vessels at bay by blasting them with massive water cannons powerful enough to sink many ships.

At other locations, not far away, Chinese ships have intercepted vessels from the Philippines – sometimes by deliberately ramming them – to stop them from resupplying troops who guard disputed coral reefs that lie several times closer to Filipino shores than to anything conventionally understood as Chinese territory. It was against this backdrop that China began its own crash programme of dredging the oceans to build man-made islands in at least seven locations in the South China Sea in 2014.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... sea-hainan
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Wow, a military nation bullying others. I wonder who they learned that from?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Well, I would say England, that is back when Britannia ruled the waves with iron men and wooden ships.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

I been stating it for a long time now....the greatest threat to world security isnt jihadist climate change or America, Its China.

A country population that exceeds more males the females always go to war since the dawn of time.

There population is totally unsustainable...more over if they wish to include 1 billion into a westernized middle class. They dont give a flying fuck about the environment(go walk around P.P take a look at the Chinese quarters of the city). They are short sighted to the utmost and support North Korea.

China's g2g.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yes, there will be war
plain as the nose on your face

first will come economic collapse and soon, i think
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic