Goodbye, Queen Elizabeth II

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Goodbye, Queen Elizabeth II

Post by xandreu »

I have to admit, while not a royalist, the pomp and ceremony surrounding the death of the Queen is quite moving. Watching the coffin being taken to Westminster Abbey and seeing it lie in state is the very stuff most fairy tales are based on.

I wouldn't say I'm particularly patriotic, but we I don't think any other country comes close to the grandeur of important occasions of state as the British. The funeral is going to be one of the biggest events, even globally, that many of us will ever witness.

As I said, I'm no royalist, but it's difficult not to feel any emotion surrounding the whole scenario, both sadness for the passing of an era, and a bit of national pride for the way these huge state occasions are conducted.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

24/7 live streaming of the Queen lying in state for those that might be interested. Apparently for those that wish to pay their respects but cannot make it to London.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-62902778
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Am I the only one who (a) wonders if the Queen really is inside that coffin and (b) half expects some lunatic to try and break through security and disrupt the coffin in some way.

Officially, the coffin is guarded by the Royal Guards (the bearskins), but I've always assumed they're really only there for show. I would imagine there is also a heavy police presence out of view who are the ones really dealing with the security. I wonder if they're armed, and how they'd react if someone were to try and break through the cordon and disrupt the coffin? Considering the actual (priceless) British Crown is on top of it, (again, assuming it's the real crown and not a faked version) would the police go as far as shooting anyone who did try to cause a problem?
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Certainly time for the UK to vote on whether it wants to continue to support this family - I find the entire thing nauseating to say the least. The idea of a monarchy has been obsolete for centuries, but the state mouthpieces perpetuate the idea of it being an essential institution unendingly. Her only great attribute was longevity - nothing else.

Her son will now be elevated to the status of a demigod, when in fact anyone with eyes and a brain can see he is quite simply a pompous twat.

The funny thing is, when these levels of hysteria and nationalism are reported in the British press almost anywhere else in the world, it is almost always with a sneer and accusations of insincerity. The hypocrisy and double standards are, as always, mind boggling.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Cambo Dear wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:24 pm Certainly time for the UK to vote on whether it wants to continue to support this family - I find the entire thing nauseating to say the least. The idea of a monarchy has been obsolete for centuries, but the state mouthpieces perpetuate the idea of it being an essential institution unendingly. Her only great attribute was longevity - nothing else.

Her son will now be elevated to the status of a demigod, when in fact anyone with eyes and a brain can see he is quite simply a pompous twat.

The funny thing is, when these levels of hysteria and nationalism are reported in the British press almost anywhere else in the world, it is almost always with a sneer and accusations of insincerity. The hypocrisy and double standards are, as always, mind boggling.
Quite clearly you know little to nothing about what you spout off about. But, before you continue, maybe you should share your true roots, as it could well be that you are just a pompous little spectator with no horse in the race. Remind yourself also that this thread starts with Goodbye. Perhaps a little dignity would serve you well.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:38 pm maybe you should share your true roots
I found funny that this comment went from a Libyan flag anyway, of course there wasn't any cult of any leader whensoever overthere ^^
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

xandreu wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:39 pm Am I the only one who (a) wonders if the Queen really is inside that coffin and (b) half expects some lunatic to try and break through security and disrupt the coffin in some way.

Officially, the coffin is guarded by the Royal Guards (the bearskins), but I've always assumed they're really only there for show. I would imagine there is also a heavy police presence out of view who are the ones really dealing with the security. I wonder if they're armed, and how they'd react if someone were to try and break through the cordon and disrupt the coffin? Considering the actual (priceless) British Crown is on top of it, (again, assuming it's the real crown and not a faked version) would the police go as far as shooting anyone who did try to cause a problem?
I saw a documentary once that said the bearskins were all trained infantry soldiers, so presumably they're not just a handsome face and a cool hat. But I suspect if someone starts making a scene their job would be to scream 'keep your distance' at them and then the real security would step in.

And there are plenty of security guys there, it's supposedly the biggest security operation in London's history because of all the world leaders and royalty who will be there, along with massive crowds. It must be a terrorist's wet dream and a security nightmare.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

xandreu wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:39 pm Officially, the coffin is guarded by the Royal Guards (the bearskins), but I've always assumed they're really only there for show.
Incorrect. The Queens Guards are regular fully trained and disciplined British Army soldiers.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Hong-K ... 3&si=44594

Hong Kong mourns late queen in quiet snub to Beijing
Tributes seen by some as a dig at Chinese clampdown on former colony's freedoms

A woman cries as she pays tribute to Britain's Queen Elizabeth II outside the British Consulate General in Hong Kong on Sept. 12. © Reuters
PAK YIU, Nikkei staff writerSeptember 13, 2022 19:49 JSTUpdated on September 14, 2022 10:28 JST

HONG KONG -- Thousands in Hong Kong braved sweltering heat to pay their respects to the late Queen Elizabeth II in a tribute seen by some as a quiet snub to Beijing's squeeze on civil liberties in the former British colony.

Carrying flower bouquets and standing in lines that snaked hundreds of meters from the British consulate on Monday, many expressed feelings of nostalgia for the city's past as they signed a condolence book and paid their respects to a monarch known among older generations locally as the "boss lady."

More than 2,500 people signed the book while veteran pro-Beijing legislator Regina Ip and Chief Secretary Eric Chan, the city's second-in-command, stopped by the consulate -- the only politicians known to have attended the memorial site.

The British Consulate said Tuesday that it would extend opening hours for people to sign the condolence book in what it described as an "exceptional number" of visitors keen to pay their respects.

Hong Kong was a British colony for more than 150 years and many pro-democracy activists -- some now in jail under Beijing's draconian national security law -- used to protest against colonial rule.

But since the city was handed back to China in 1997, resentment has grown as the central government tightened its grip on the city, effectively criminalizing freedom of speech and other civil liberties passed on and guaranteed after British rule.

"Most Hong Kongers realize that they're under no illusion that Britain was not a perfect colonial master," Hong Kong lawyer and pro-democracy activist Kevin Yam told Nikkei Asia from his home in Australia. "Under the British, we were second class citizens, but under China we are not even citizens."

A local television interview with one mourner was scrubbed after the woman said she wanted to pay her respects to the 96-year-old "great leader."

"I want to commemorate this great leader. Why?" she said. "Look at how many people are here, this is what the people want."

A woman holds the colonial flag of Hong Kong as she and other mourners pay tribute to the late Queen Elizabeth II outside the city's British Consulate General. © Reuters

On Friday, Hong Kong's Chief Executive John Lee released a statement, two hours after Chinese President Xi Jinping's condolences were published, but he avoided any reference to British colonial rule.

"Having reigned for 70 years, she was the longest reigning monarch of the United Kingdom. She was greatly respected, admired and praised by the British people," he said.

In recent years, pro-Beijing officials have moved to wipe away the city's past by covering up British royal insignia and ordering a new crop of school textbooks that claim Hong Kong was never a colony at all, but rather an "occupied territory" in an apparent bid to claim China's unbroken sovereignty.

The queen, who died Thursday, was head of state in Hong Kong for 45 years and was the only reigning sovereign to visit the city. Images of her two trips were widely shared when her passing was announced.

City democracy activists who fled overseas paid tribute to the queen online, including former legislators Nathan Law and Dennis Kwok.

Lining up on Monday, one 62-year-old woman said she was filled with emotion when she heard about the queen's death and reminisced about the city's values and freedoms.

"She was very respected by many and represents what we've lost here," said the woman, surnamed Chow.

Maggie, who only gave her first name, brought her toddlers so they could learn about the late monarch's role in the city's past.

"It's very sad, but it's important for them to learn about our history," said the mother of two.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:12 am
xandreu wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:39 pm Officially, the coffin is guarded by the Royal Guards (the bearskins), but I've always assumed they're really only there for show.
Incorrect. The Queens Guards are regular fully trained and disciplined British Army soldiers.
They may well be but as I suspected, a man was recently arrested and has been charged for breaking out of the line and approaching the coffin. Onlookers said he got as far as touching the cloth (whatever it's called) that's draped over the coffin, being tackled to the ground by police.

One onlooker said that the thing they found most surprising was that the Royal Guards just stood there and did nothing, and it was all left up to the police to deal with.

I've always known they were a part of the British Army and as such were fully trained members of the military, but while wearing the red coats and the bearskin hats, they are (in my opinion) mostly there for show as part of the pomp and ceremony. Not necessarily to deal with any security risks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic