Who actually still lives in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Who actually still lives in Cambodia?

Post by Cooldude »

Probably the worst part for me was watching people's true colours emerge which I had been blind to. Major wake up call for me and taught me how to look for better people to surround myself in my life.

Going through the exact same scenario over here for the past couple of years. Still looking for the better people to surround myself with.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

SlowJoe wrote:
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:26 pm ..... Other anonymous expats you have never met on a forum who you dont even know their names will mostly not help...
BUT why should they?

BUT friends you have made over the years will>
I'm just interjecting, having gone through a bit of an "end of the world" moment myself recently...

...I've found some very kind anonymous souls who reached out to me to help me get back on my feet in my darkest times, HOWEVER, I've also found people I've known for years who I thought were trustworthy and good friends to totally flake out when I needed help the most.

Probably the worst part for me was watching people's true colours emerge which I had been blind to. Major wake up call for me and taught me how to look for better people to surround myself in my life.

EDIT: Also just want to add [mention]rozzieoz[/mention] that some people are not in a position to help, so there's always that too. I'm not in a position to ride from Kampot to Phnom Penh and help someone out. It's nothing personal, it's just that some people aren't in a position to be helpful and I'd be one of those. I'd get in the way more than anything.
Oh gosh, I was just having a tongue in cheek moment. I didn’t make this thread for that reason, I’m genuinely curious about who is still in the kingdom.
Sorry Joe, my bad!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:28 pm
SlowJoe wrote:
EDIT: Also just want to add @rozzieoz that some people are not in a position to help, so there's always that too. I'm not in a position to ride from Kampot to Phnom Penh and help someone out. It's nothing personal, it's just that some people aren't in a position to be helpful and I'd be one of those. I'd get in the way more than anything.
Oh gosh, I was just having a tongue in cheek moment. I didn’t make this thread for that reason, I’m genuinely curious about who is still in the kingdom.
Sorry Joe, my bad!
I didn't take offense or see the thread that way, I was just bringing it up because it's a sensitive subject, Andy's thread has been read a lot, and I didn't want some people to feel like all expats were heartless and didn't care.

And I guess I didn't answer the thread myself. I'm here too.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

I think I'm still here, or there....
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The byline under the avatar should be updated. Loads of them have the disingenuous "Expatriate" text. Everyone who posted about moving home should have that changed to "Repatriate". Others could be tracked by analyzing their location data, and changed to "sex tourist", "is very interested in temples", "lost in the asshole of nowhere", "on drugs in 172 street". Just trying to keep things real around here. 8-)

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:20 pm The byline under the avatar should be updated. Loads of them have the disingenuous "Expatriate" text. Everyone who posted about moving home should have that changed to "Repatriate". Others could be tracked by analyzing their location data, and changed to "sex tourist", "is very interested in temples", "lost in the asshole of nowhere", "on drugs in 172 street". Just trying to keep things real around here. 8-)
You have to hit god tier before you get 'Baked'
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Captain Bonez wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:58 pm You have to hit god tier before you get 'Baked'
That's for sure. The rest of us all have "tourist" for less than ten posts and "expatriate" for more than that. Any teenager living in his mom's basement in the back ass of Hicksville can be an expatriate within minutes here. We had some big cheese posting earlier on this thread who thinks he's something because he buys furniture and apparently made loads of money here. Yeah, sure thing crack head. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

SlowJoe wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:48 pm
...I've found some very kind anonymous souls who reached out to me to help me get back on my feet in my darkest times, HOWEVER, I've also found people I've known for years who I thought were trustworthy and good friends to totally flake out when I needed help the most.
SO SO TRUE.

You can probably count your good friends with one hand when the shit hits the fan. I hope I never have to find out.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

truffledog wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:20 am
SO SO TRUE.

You can probably count your good friends with one hand when the shit hits the fan. I hope I never have to find out.

Today I count all my friends on one hand.
I look around to see where they may be.
They are gone.
There's no one.
Just my memories.
My shadow,
And me.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

truffledog wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:20 am
SO SO TRUE.

The way I've taken solace recently is that the "shit fan" moments are the universe's way of clearing the shit "friends" out of your life so that new and better ones can come in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic