Who actually still lives in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Who actually still lives in Cambodia?

Post by rozzieoz »

Doc67 wrote:I'm here and no firm plans to move on yet. However I have no intention of growing old here, fuck that.

I am actively looking at alternative places to live before I get too rooted here. I have been here 5 years and by all accounts I missed the best of times and many that were here and enjoyed them have now left. It seems the smart money views Cambodia as a sell.
Too late. You’re already old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:15 am
Doc67 wrote:I'm here and no firm plans to move on yet. However I have no intention of growing old here, fuck that.

I am actively looking at alternative places to live before I get too rooted here. I have been here 5 years and by all accounts I missed the best of times and many that were here and enjoyed them have now left. It seems the smart money views Cambodia as a sell.
Too late. You’re already old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How very dare you!
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Mr Cynical wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:57 am Having lived in various Asian countries long term over the last 20 years including Cambodia 11 years) it always amazes me that well traveled educated people still decide to stay there. Where to start, accommodation most places less than $400.00 US per month are pitiful furniture mattresses etc. Infrastructure where ever you go rubbish all over the streets hence the stench in most of Phnom Penh and towns where expats live. Having been lucky to have successful businesses there I pulled the plug 5 years ago at the start of the Chinese influx. If the majority of the posted were more honest they would live somewhere else, for those that quote Cambodian family ties for their children what about there own family ties from wherever they come from. Sorry for the rant and best of luck to those stuck there
Sorry, Mr well-named Cynical, Siem Reap is nothing like that. Here you can still get modern, Western style apartments for around $250, streets are clean, no stench provided you stay away from the wet market after 12 noon, traffic is light, beer and food is cheap. Most expats I know are not stuck here, they see it as a paradise compared to places like Manchester or Detroit. Low crime, friendly people, warm weather. I have traveled extensively, and now have no plans to go anywhere else, well, maybe the odd holiday in Vietnam. To answer the OP's question, me too (with or without hashtag).
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

We're working on getting back! Haven't worked in Cambodia for a very long time now, as I think it was about 3 months after starting CEO that I started working in the Middle East. I've known several people who have posted on here in real life for many, many years, but it's also nice to see a growing list of full-time Cambodia expats that I've gotta meet for the first time when I finally get back.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:43 am We're working on getting back! Haven't worked in Cambodia for a very long time now, as I think it was about 3 months after starting CEO that I started working in the Middle East. I've known several people who have posted on here in real life for many, many years, but it's also nice to see a growing list of full-time Cambodia expats that I've gotta meet for the first time when I finally get back.
and subject ur wife and new born to living in a developing country ( cant say 3rd world)
be willing to bet u never move back to live
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Do any of CEO admin Iive in Cambodia?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:46 am
General Mackevili wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:43 am We're working on getting back! Haven't worked in Cambodia for a very long time now, as I think it was about 3 months after starting CEO that I started working in the Middle East. I've known several people who have posted on here in real life for many, many years, but it's also nice to see a growing list of full-time Cambodia expats that I've gotta meet for the first time when I finally get back.
and subject ur wife and new born to living in a developing country ( cant say 3rd world)
be willing to bet u never move back to live
Yeah, I think we've just talked privately how expensive it can be with family in Asia. I'll have to have a much better game plan than 'Engrish Teacha' again if I bring the wife and kid(s) back to live full-time.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:50 am I'll have to have a much better game plan than 'Engrish Teacha' again if I bring the wife and kid(s) back to live full-time.
I can hook you up with an excellent CV writer.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I have spent just over 33% of my life here now, was particularly lucky to be here during the whole covid nonsense as didn't have to change my lifestyle for the worse as I would have been forced to do in very many other parts of the world.
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

I'm still here, going on 10 years now, happy as can be. Living in a 2 bed, 2 bath apartment in Tonle Bassac with my 3 cats. We have 24 hour security, back-up generator, elevators and housekeeping service. I spend so little on everything else, I can splurge on the living accommodations. Wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic