On FOOTWEAR where do you stand?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: On FOOTWEAR where do you stand?

Post by Chad Sexington »

cabron wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:46 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:08 pm the only shoes I own are low top hiking boots i use for cycling
other times, flip flops everywhere for years and years
nobody judges you by ur shoes or cares
Wearing sandals, flip-flops as regular footwear, can cause serious injuries to your back, knee and tendons.
I know flip flops can cause injuries to your toes, I tried them for a while, broke the same toe twice, converted to crocs soon after.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

$1 sandals from local market, nothing but the best for me, they last a year or two very comfortable good for home, out and about in PP, planes, Thailand, bit cold on the toe's in Australia at the moment.
Runners only when on big trip's on the bike.

I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

As fits the occasion

For on duty, several years ago I discovered Henley’s at Debenhams. Best flying shoe I ever owned. I have no idea if I’ll ever be able to either find them again since Debenham’s demise, or match them. A shameless copy would go down a treat.

For most informal wear on most continents with land south of 45°N, gambols. Not original, methinks. Krakor market. 2 types, 1 green and 1 beige. Hose clean, avoid stubbing toes. 4$ per 2xpair and juniors shoes thrown in.

Working on machinery, Crocs.

Having feet that cross between hobbit and orc, good shoes is something of a treasure hunt.

Other half. She keeps buying cheap crap from the market. I’ll have to plonk her in front of your man, Rozzie. I’m sure 2 decent pairs of hand made canoes will be cost effective compared to umpteen ‘wear once and discard’ items, if only in savings on glue.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Jandals bro for everyday wear, trainers for exercising. Very rarely do I wear shoes in Cambodia, only when the situation/dress code dictates that shoes are appropriate.
I had to Google jandals - I thought it might have been a whole new level of foot comfort, but turns out it's a flip-flop. That which we call a flip-flop, by any other name, would be as sweet (for the feet).
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:52 pm I wear Skechers slip on shoes most of the time - with socks. I don't like wearing anything open toed walking around or cycling in case I bust my toe. I wear a pair of slides in the house and have some old yeezy/croc style things for when I'm going somewhere nearby.

I can concur on the need to be careful with open tops! This little beauty happened just by backing off a small ramp outside a Mart, brushing against someone's kickstand it took my toe nail clean off!

Beautiful Sy Phal on St 143/ corner 360 I think as mentioned earlier in the thread is the place to go for tailor made shoes. $45 custom made is a bargain, especially if your feet are on the larger side.

For other footwear like sandals and trainers I order a pair or 2 per year online to get delivered when friends visit home and that keeps me going,

Sketchers sandals and New Band trainers do the trick and cater for my size/width!

Thank God for the Internet!!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

How many have experienced Asian flap ? You had a perfectly quality pair of shoes in the cupboard which you hadn't worn for a while and the humidity rots away the stitching/rubber/glue. You don't notice until you've given them a bit of loosening, you're bouncing down the street and then the whole sole comes apart. :D
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:33 pm How many have experienced Asian flap ? You had a perfectly quality pair of shoes in the cupboard which you hadn't worn for a while and the humidity rots away the stitching/rubber/glue. You don't notice until you've given them a bit of loosening, you're bouncing down the street and then the whole sole comes apart. :D
That’s why leather shoes are pretty much a non-starter here, they just turn to mould.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I found some photos, not good, but show what I bought from the T&B second hand shoe store.
Baseball boot's are probably only factory rejects because I think the brand name is on the inside and not visible on the outside. @$12 per pair. Trainers/walking shoes @$15

I also have some of the desert type work boots, I use them on the bike for protection. Resoled has new @$22

I had to look around for footwear due to my UK shoe not surviving the rain season. Past it "NO" I have some good glue :D

Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:33 pm How many have experienced Asian flap ? You had a perfectly quality pair of shoes in the cupboard which you hadn't worn for a while and the humidity rots away the stitching/rubber/glue. You don't notice until you've given them a bit of loosening, you're bouncing down the street and then the whole sole comes apart. :D
I had that happen with Columbia trekking shoes that just fell apart after a few months here. Quite a few leather dress pairs just went white with mould and got chucked too.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:05 am
I had that happen with Columbia trekking shoes that just fell apart after a few months here. Quite a few leather dress pairs just went white with mould and got chucked too.
The one's I have seem to be okay, but time will tell, I am more happy that most come in 1/2 sizes, due to a more comfortable fit, nothing has bad with some footwear to big and flopping around.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic