New UK PM results

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: New UK PM results

Post by Bluenose »

The way it's going I'm worried I might get summoned back to the UK if it comes round to my turn as PM, Chancellor, Home Secretary or whatever...
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

At a time when the world needs unity and stability the most, the UK has become an embarrassment. Russian memes started within minutes of her resignation. Of all the world leaders Putin despises, he had a particular hatred for her, stemming from when she was foreign secretary, and regularly made personal insults towards her in his speeches. There must be the sound of champaign corks popping all over the Kremlin right now. Russian media is having a field day at our utter shit show.

Truss made the mistake of thinking she could be the modern day Thatcher. She could walk into the job, do what she liked without a single consultation with anyone, even her own cabinet, and as long as she stuck to her guns and refused to back down, she'd be hailed as the new iron lady. What she forgot, and Thatcher was a master at, was that no prime minister can do whatever they want without the right support from their party. No leader, whether they're democratically elected or an outright dictator can run a country alone. They need an inner circle. Part of the art of politics is the ability to make the right friends in the right places and having the ability to influence them.

Truss brought in the most revolutionary budget in living memory and when asked in an interview if she had consulted a single member of her cabinet before making the announcement, she simply grinned and said 'No.'

I don't know where I read it, but it's true that when Prime Ministers come out of No. 10 and stand on that podium to announce their resignation, they do it with a lump in their throat, with pure emotion, and talk about what a great honour it has been to have been able to do the top job, but Truss looked like she was having difficulties holding in her giggles.

It's now abundantly clear that for her, this was all just a game. An experiment. If it works it works, if it doesn't, oh well. I'll just shrug my shoulders, walk away and leave someone else to clear up the mess. Namely the British public.

As a side note - She didn't even win the parliamentary election. Sunak won that by quite a majority. She only won when it was put to Tory party members. The Tories have now decided that to ask people who don't actually work in politics, and therefore can't really be expected to make an informed decision, was a bad idea, and they should just leave it to the experts.

I guess they've learned at least one thing from Brexit then.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
2sevensclash
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by 2sevensclash »

xandreu wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:19 pm At a time when the world needs unity and stability the most, the UK has become an embarrassment. Russian memes started within minutes of her resignation. Of all the world leaders Putin despises, he had a particular hatred for her, stemming from when she was foreign secretary, and regularly made personal insults towards her in his speeches. There must be the sound of champaign corks popping all over the Kremlin right now. Russian media is having a field day at our utter shit show.

Truss made the mistake of thinking she could be the modern day Thatcher. She could walk into the job, do what she liked without a single consultation with anyone, even her own cabinet, and as long as she stuck to her guns and refused to back down, she'd be hailed as the new iron lady. What she forgot, and Thatcher was a master at, was that no prime minister can do whatever they want without the right support from their party. No leader, whether they're democratically elected or an outright dictator can run a country alone. They need an inner circle. Part of the art of politics is the ability to make the right friends in the right places and having the ability to influence them.

Truss brought in the most revolutionary budget in living memory and when asked in an interview if she had consulted a single member of her cabinet before making the announcement, she simply grinned and said 'No.'

I don't know where I read it, but it's true that when Prime Ministers come out of No. 10 and stand on that podium to announce their resignation, they do it with a lump in their throat, with pure emotion, and talk about what a great honour it has been to have been able to do the top job, but Truss looked like she was having difficulties holding in her giggles.

It's now abundantly clear that for her, this was all just a game. An experiment. If it works it works, if it doesn't, oh well. I'll just shrug my shoulders, walk away and leave someone else to clear up the mess. Namely the British public.

As a side note - She didn't even win the parliamentary election. Sunak won that by quite a majority. She only won when it was put to Tory party members. The Tories have now decided that to ask people who don't actually work in politics, and therefore can't really be expected to make an informed decision, was a bad idea, and they should just leave it to the experts.

So the Brexit decision should have been left to the "experts" ? how many other decisions should be left to the "experts"
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

2sevensclash wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:28 pm
xandreu wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:19 pm At a time when the world needs unity and stability the most, the UK has become an embarrassment. Russian memes started within minutes of her resignation. Of all the world leaders Putin despises, he had a particular hatred for her, stemming from when she was foreign secretary, and regularly made personal insults towards her in his speeches. There must be the sound of champaign corks popping all over the Kremlin right now. Russian media is having a field day at our utter shit show.

So the Brexit decision should have been left to the "experts" ? how many other decisions should be left to the "experts"
Exactly the same decisions that we elect our politicians to make on our behalf 99.999999% of the time anyway.

We have a parliamentary democracy which means we get a say once every five years, give or take the odd crisis, as to who we want to represent us on a local level, which then has an indirect impact on who we want to lead us on a national level. We then go back to being doctors, builders, shopkeepers, estate agents and bus drivers for five years, and hope that they will make the right decisions on our behalf. We do that because we're too busy being doctors, builders, shopkeepers, estate agents and bus drivers to fully understand the implications of many of the political decisions we leave to those we elected. We hope that, because that's their specific job, and our specific job is being a doctor, builder, shopkeeper, estate agent or bus driver, they will make the right decisions in our best interest. If they do, we re-elect them. If they don't, we don't.

This is exactly how politics works on every other level. Why would Brexit be any different? In fact, I'd go as far as to say that with a decision as big as leaving the EU, the last thing you want is to hand that decision to doctors, builders, shopkeepers, estate agents and bus drivers, who don't know the real implications of such an act enough to make an informed decision. It's not because they're somehow dumb or ignorant. It's simply because it's not their job to be fully informed. And neither should it be. That's precisely what politicians are for.

Are you honestly telling me that Mandy, a single mother of five, who lives at number 8, a habitual alcoholic and casual recreational drug user, who could barely tell you who the prime minister is, let alone what party they represent or what they stand for, should be given an equal say in whether the UK should leave the EU or not, as someone who's just finished their major in international politics?

If people really wanted to leave the EU, they were well within their rights to vote for UKIP and make it happen through a general election.

Remind me again how many seats UKIP have ever held?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

hanno wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:54 pm
she did blah blah blah, killed the Queen, blah bah blah....

LOL. :lol:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:41 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:58 am
truffledog wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:49 am
Alex wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:03 pm 44 days, that would have been short even by Italian standards. I wonder if the useless bint is now entitled to any kind of pension.
in Italy she would not need to work again..we have the best social welfare for politicians. You would not believe if I told you.
youve intrigued me, what do they get?
gonna start saying i fuck like Liz Truss... i come in, give a weak pound, then leave quickly
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:19 pm

Truss only got into the final 2 because of Sunak and his parliamentary supporters. She was 3rd in every round with Mordaunt 2nd in every round. All the polling of the members suggested Mordaunt would win easily and Truss would also win, but by a much smaller majority. The strategy was to nobble Mordaunt and then try to beat Truss.

In the final ballot just enough of Sunak's supporters tactically voted for Truss, thus eliminating Mordaunt. Sunak must have known of the scheme. It almost worked and despite Truss' many idiotic U-turns (remember the regional pay boards which she disowned the very next day and pretended she never said it?) she still managed to scrape through but by a much smaller margin than the polling predicted. The plan nearly worked.

If Sunak's team hadn't engaged in this gerrymandering, he would have faced Mordaunt in the final and he would have lost too. We would then have had Mordaunt as PM and could have avoided this debacle altogether.

Sunak put Truss in the final two, knowing she was entirely unfit to hold that office. Sunak failed to beat her, despite her doing everything to help him. Sunak is not an electoral asset, especially in a general election with him as PM.

Hopefully the members remember this when voting.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:01 pm

Are you honestly telling me that Mandy, a single mother of five, who lives at number 8, a habitual alcoholic and casual recreational drug user, who could barely tell you who the prime minister is, let alone what party they represent or what they stand for, should be given an equal say in whether the UK should leave the EU or not, as someone who's just finished their major in international politics?

Yes, nobody with a major in politics can be trusted
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic