Rich Khmer Beggar Fools Good-hearted Thais

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Rich Khmer Beggar Fools Good-hearted Thais

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Philanthropist influencer admits being fooled by ‘rich’ Khmer beggar
Published : September 04, 2022
A social media influencer famous for helping underprivileged people has admitted he was duped by a Cambodian beggar who reportedly earns over 150,000 baht a month in Thailand.

Gunnathat Pongpaiboonwet, better known as Gun Jompalang, said on Saturday he had decided to help a male beggar nicknamed “Uncle V” who was seen at Wat Sri Amata Nakhon in Phan Thong district, Chonburi. Writing on Facebook, Gun explained he was saddened by photos posted online of an old man bent in a V-shape due to his disability. In a bid to help, he contacted friends and the social development and human security office in Chonburi.

But an hour later, Gun informed his Facebook followers that he had been fooled.
Gun said he contacted the Chonburi social development office, who identified the man as Cambodian national Gome Phormee, 47. The office said the man had repeatedly sneaked across the border with his wife, daughter and mother-in-law. He was arrested and deported three times in 2015 before being arrested again on Saturday.

Philanthropist influencer admits being fooled by ‘rich’ Khmer beggar The Thai Rath news website reported that Gome and his family members earned about 5,000 baht per day begging separately at various markets. It added that his disability was genuine but did not prevent him from walking.

Locals told Thai Rath that the man had been begging in the locale for 10 years but lived a good life with money to buy expensive shrimp, among other things.

Philanthropist influencer admits being fooled by ‘rich’ Khmer beggar Police arrested Gome, his wife and daughter and detained them at the Muang Chon Buri police station pending deportation. The mother-in-law was found with legal travel documents so will not be deported.
By : THE NATION
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Rich Khmer Beggar Fools Good-hearted Thais

Post by phuketrichard »

Growling up in Washington dc , my grandparents owned a jewelry store 4 blocks to the white house, A really nice old WW2 vet begged on the corner of F and 10th street between April and Oct>
winters he summered in Miami Florida in his 2 bedroom condo

its not only SE asia that has scammer beggars
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

I heard from customers living in or near Poipet that feelings can be icy from time to time with Khmer and Thai people doing business from scammer beggars in the past (this would be the 90s and 00s they were talking about).

I don't know how true it is, but more than one person has brought it up before (both on the Thai and Khmer side).
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:36 am Growling up in Washington dc , my grandparents owned a jewelry store 4 blocks to the white house, A really nice old WW2 vet begged on the corner of F and 10th street between April and Oct>

^ That's hardly a scam

Sounds more like a F.I.F.O 6 months on/6 months off career choice to me
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:54 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:36 am Growling up in Washington dc , my grandparents owned a jewelry store 4 blocks to the white house, A really nice old WW2 vet begged on the corner of F and 10th street between April and Oct>

^ That's hardly a scam

Sounds more like a F.I.F.O 6 months on/6 months off career choice to me
how is it different from the OP?
both begging, which implies ur broke :beer3: :beer3:

.....a Cambodian beggar who reportedly earns over 150,000 baht a month in Thailand.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Here in Italy there are the so called "zingari-gypsies" that beg during the day with babies in their arms to be picked up by a S-class Mercedes after the "shift".
work is for people who cant find truffles
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

It's not always a scam; some beggars just rake in a lot of money.

Back when I lived in Bangkok, there used to be a guy who sat on a corner in the evenings. He had a legitimate condition that caused swelling in the legs. I always gave him a 5-baht coin when I passed by.

One evening, just after I had placed my coin in his hat, a mentally challenged friend of mine turned the corner. This guy would always immediately start talking about bigfoot, UFOs, old movies, baseball cards, conspiracy theories, the ancient history of Rome, etc. for as long as you let him.

So, I stood there and listened to my friend's rant for about 10 minutes and in that brief period of time, I observed the scene as many local Thais passed by and dropped 20-, 50- and 100-baht banknotes in this beggar's hat. When there was a lull in the foot traffic, he scooped up the money and then pulled out his wallet to add in his latest takings. As you might imagine, this guy has a very FAT wallet.

After that, I stopped giving him money, not out of spite but due to the realization that he didn't really need my 5 baht.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

truffledog wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:28 pm Here in Italy there are the so called "zingari-gypsies" that beg during the day with babies in their arms to be picked up by a S-class Mercedes after the "shift".
Once upon a time, when I was living in Catalonia, I used to have an office at Diagonal 325. These horrible fat cunts of romany women with their shawls and rags and borrowed/stolen/rented infants in slings would aggressively canvas the traffic lights on the multi lane diagonal with plastic shopping bags tied around their feet to garner sympathy

They worked 6 hour shifts and at the end of each one they would visit a car parked abound the corner on Pg de San Joan and put on good shoes, good clothes, hand in whatever baby they had and take their handbag and taxi off home

That's an "evil" begging hustle. Somebody who just sits in the same place and happens to make a good living from it I don't consider as a scam; it's just a living
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

September 7, 2022
Handicapped Cambodian beggar illegally earning over 100,000 baht a month sent back to Cambodia
Khmer Times
[excerpts]
A compassionate Thai man says he feels deceived after he tried to help a disabled Cambodian beggar get treatment only to discover he earned over 100,000 baht* per month illegally.

Kannarat “Gun” Pongpaiboonwet, aka Gun Jom Palang, last week announced on Facebook that he would contact the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security (M-Society) to help the Cambodian man get treatment after seeing a video of him on Thai social media walking doubled over in a market in Chon Buri province.

Many people wanted to donate and help him get proper treatment after Gun highlighted his plight. But Gun was horrified to find out that the man had an organized family begging operation in place after talking with people from the M-Society.

M-Society told Gun that the man, 47 year old Kom Pormee, was well known to the Thai authorities and had been arrested and sent back to Cambodia four times already.

The Thai government welfare body stated what he and his family do is considered to be human trafficking because they use their 10 month old baby to beg for money. The whole family, including his wife, baby, and mother in law, are beggars and operate a lucrative team in different places in Chon Buri earning about 700–1,500 baht** per day.

The man and his family were charged with illegal entry and violating the Begging Control Act and sent back to Cambodia today.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501146576/ ... -cambodia/

CEO News notes: These are the amounts of money earned (as quoted by the Khmer Times) in US dollars. Yes, the numbers do not add up.
* US$ 2,740 (per month)
** US$ 20-40 (per day)
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:46 am September 7, 2022
Handicapped Cambodian beggar illegally earning over 100,000 baht a month sent back to Cambodia
Khmer Times
[excerpts]
A compassionate Thai man says he feels deceived after he tried to help a disabled Cambodian beggar get treatment only to discover he earned over 100,000 baht* per month illegally.

Kannarat “Gun” Pongpaiboonwet, aka Gun Jom Palang, last week announced on Facebook that he would contact the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security (M-Society) to help the Cambodian man get treatment after seeing a video of him on Thai social media walking doubled over in a market in Chon Buri province.

Many people wanted to donate and help him get proper treatment after Gun highlighted his plight. But Gun was horrified to find out that the man had an organized family begging operation in place after talking with people from the M-Society.

M-Society told Gun that the man, 47 year old Kom Pormee, was well known to the Thai authorities and had been arrested and sent back to Cambodia four times already.

The Thai government welfare body stated what he and his family do is considered to be human trafficking because they use their 10 month old baby to beg for money. The whole family, including his wife, baby, and mother in law, are beggars and operate a lucrative team in different places in Chon Buri earning about 700–1,500 baht** per day.

The man and his family were charged with illegal entry and violating the Begging Control Act and sent back to Cambodia today.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501146576/ ... -cambodia/

CEO News notes: These are the amounts of money earned (as quoted by the Khmer Times) in US dollars. Yes, the numbers do not add up.
* US$ 2,740 (per month)
** US$ 20-40 (per day)
so 100'000 per month but 700-1500 per day lol

Thainess in effect
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic