Currency

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bsway
Tourist
Australia

Currency

Post by Bsway »

So apparently in Cambodia you pay for things with US dollars but you get change in the local currency. Is that correct? What do you do with the local currency change though if you pay with US??
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Currency

Post by BklynBoy »

you spend it on 104, 118 or 136

but seriously you can use it for small purchased items. tuk tuk or pass app rides
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Here's some more info about Cambodian currency here >> cambodian-currency-information
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Bsway wrote:So apparently in Cambodia you pay for things with US dollars but you get change in the local currency. Is that correct? What do you do with the local currency change though if you pay with US??
You can pay for things in local currency too (called Riel) as it is actually money.
Or you could use it as toilet paper I guess.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Currently I am accepting Riel, as you are thinking it is practically worthless! Particularly the 20k, 50k and 100k notes, if you would like to Pm me I will gladly take them off your hands
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

It depends on where you are, out in the provinces Riels seem to be used mainly, but dollars are welcome.
In the larger towns and cities, dollars are more usual, especially for larger transactions and your change could be in either but if the amount of change is larger, it’ll likely be in dollars.
There’s no coins here, so anything under a dollar will be in Riels.
Personally I use Riels for my smaller purchases (say equivalent to $50 or less) and dollars for anything larger.
The beauty of Riels is that you don’t have to worry about them being scruffy or torn (and a lot of them are in shocking condition), you can still spend them, with dollars that’s not the case.
Be aware, damaged dollar bills, even slightly torn or dirty, are very unlikely to be accepted by vendors, also remember to check any dollar bills you get offered in change, and refuse any that are damaged. There’s a special groan you’ll let out when you go to pay for something, peel off a $100 or a $50, and spot that tiny little rip where the fold is.
As Rozzieoz says, you could wipe your backside on Riel notes, especially the lower denomination ones such as the 100 Riel notes (worth circa two and a half cents) but you’d still be able to spend them afterwards😉
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I use Riel to play Texas Holdem in Italy instead of using the usual chips.
work is for people who cant find truffles
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Bsway wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:04 am What do you do with the local currency change though if you pay with US??
You can also buy things with Khmer riel straight up. Changers convert it by multiplying the USD price by 4,000 or 4,100...

I get tired of paying with USD now and wondering if my notes are going to be rejected and ask for everything in Riel because it's so much easier to spend.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Bsway wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:04 am So apparently in Cambodia you
Please tell us what else we do in Cambodia, I can't wait to hear all about it.
Last edited by rozzieoz on Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

SlowJoe wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:58 pm
Bsway wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:04 am What do you do with the local currency change though if you pay with US??
You can also buy things with Khmer riel straight up. Changers convert it by multiplying the USD price by 4,000 or 4,100...

I get tired of paying with USD now and wondering if my notes are going to be rejected and ask for everything in Riel because it's so much easier to spend.
That’s another advantage of using Riel, no hanging around while the notes are scrutinized for fakes and rips, you hand them over, they count it and your on your way.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic