Condos

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bsway
Tourist
Australia

Condos

Post by Bsway »

Can you get a decent clean and safe condo there for 4 to 500AUD a month? Or will I need to spend more? I've seen people on YouTube living in places for 1 to 200 but personally I couldn't live in such places as they looked really run down, dirty and open to the elements.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Condos

Post by Captain Bonez »

Yes you can if you don't mind living in a shoebox. Also walk around and see if it's full of Chinese people because it'll be loud and stink of stale cigarette smoke
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Bsway
Tourist
Australia

Post by Bsway »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:47 pm Yes you can if you don't mind living in a shoebox. Also walk around and see if it's full of Chinese people because it'll be loud and stink of stale cigarette smoke
I see. Yeah loud and cigarette stink is not ideal. So how much you reckon to get decent place with no smoke, quiet, air con, decent kitchen I could cook in, fridge, security, pool in complex etc
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Bsway wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:39 pm
Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:47 pm Yes you can if you don't mind living in a shoebox. Also walk around and see if it's full of Chinese people because it'll be loud and stink of stale cigarette smoke
I see. Yeah loud and cigarette stink is not ideal. So how much you reckon to get decent place with no smoke, quiet, air con, decent kitchen I could cook in, fridge, security, pool in complex etc
$500 USD should do it, just. But quiet is a big ask in PP, especially if you want to live somwhere central and interesting.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

You would get a lot more for your money in Siem Reap btw.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

work is for people who cant find truffles
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

If you really need a pool then that's going to rule out a load of smaller but very decent buildings that are quiet and civilised. It will also tie you down to a fairly limited area. If you are willing to be a little away from the traditional expat/nightlife area there are some bargains to be had right now.

My personal top tip is look for a place where the owner lives in the same building.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Bluenose wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:54 pm
My personal top tip is look for a place where the owner lives in the same building.
Why?
Not disputing btw
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:45 pm You would get a lot more for your money in Siem Reap btw.
Are there even any proper condos in Siem Reap? Can't say I've ever seen any, but then again I haven't really looked for one.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:39 pm
Bluenose wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:54 pm
Why?
Not disputing btw
Because it's his/her home as well. If a tenant is keeping me awake they're probably keeping the owner and his family awake as well. OTOH, maybe I've just been lucky with landlords
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic