ER visa (retirement visa in Cambodia)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bsway
Tourist
Australia

ER visa (retirement visa in Cambodia)

Post by Bsway »

I’m thinking about going to Cambodia for a while. I’m over 55 and want to try and get the ER visa. I’ve noticed that the requirements say you must show pension or social security but I have neither because in Australia pension doesn’t happen till I’m 67 and super can’t be accessed till 60. My income will come from renting out my apartment and also interest from a large amount of money in a fixed term account. Will this be accepted? No Australians have pension or social security at 55 which is the age you need to be for ER visa.

atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: ER visa

Post by atst »

Bsway wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:25 am I’m thinking about going to Cambodia for a while. I’m over 55 and want to try and get the ER visa. I’ve noticed that the requirements say you must show pension or social security but I have neither because in Australia pension doesn’t happen till I’m 67 and super can’t be accessed till 60. My income will come from renting out my apartment and also interest from a large amount of money in a fixed term account. Will this be accepted? No Australians have pension or social security at 55 which is the age you need to be for ER visa.

No proof of income needed
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

show up at border, request a Ordinary ( business) visa $35 for 30 days
go to just about any agent and pay $280-300 and get a 1 year extension.
Only need give them ur passport, 1 photo and that ur landlord has registered you on the FPCS app , ( screen shot)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

What the other guys said, at most you may be asked by your agent (not always a requirement, it varies from agent to agent) to sign a declaration form stating you have a monthly income from outside of Cambodia.
If required, the agent will provide that form for you to sign (and how truthful the declaration is, is up to you, it’s highly unlikely anyone will check)
Bsway
Tourist
Australia

Post by Bsway »

Wow ok seems very relaxed. So after 1 year is up do you leave and come back for further renewals? Hope they don't change it all like Thailand and Malaysia have. Both countries now only giving long term visas to the very wealthy.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Bsway wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:07 pm Wow ok seems very relaxed. So after 1 year is up do you leave and come back for further renewals? Hope they don't change it all like Thailand and Malaysia have. Both countries now only giving long term visas to the very wealthy.
Nope, no visa runs required, just contact your agent one month before your visa/extension of stay expires and apply for another 12 month extension of stay (rinse and repeat)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bsway wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:07 pm Wow ok seems very relaxed. So after 1 year is up do you leave and come back for further renewals? Hope they don't change it all like Thailand and Malaysia have. Both countries now only giving long term visas to the very wealthy.
if ur in Thailand on a 1 year extension ( same you get in Cambodia) you never need leave
ur confusing 1 year extensions with the new long term visa program in Thailand
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Bsway wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:07 pm Hope they don't change it all like Thailand and Malaysia have. Both countries now only giving long term visas to the very wealthy.
In the case of Thailand, that's not true at all. The official requirement has remained unchanged for many, many years - and I'd hardly call having 800,000 baht in the bank "very wealthy". There are some new programs with extra benefits and additional requirements, but they haven't replaced the existing retirement "visa" (extension of stay).
pokerman
Tourist
Great Britain

Re: ER visa (retirement visa in Cambodia)

Post by pokerman »

how long does the process take to obtain the one year visa
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: ER visa (retirement visa in Cambodia)

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

1. You must enter the country on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa, $35 on arrival, valid for 1 month

2. Prior to your Visa expiry date, go to a Visa agency and apply for an Extension of Stay (EOS). There are different EOS categories available, the main ones are;

- EB (Business/Employment) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ER (Retirement) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ES (Student) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- EG (General - seeking employment/business opportunities) - 1,3,6 month options - 1 time deal, cannot be renewed in-country

Only 6 & 12 month options valid for multi-entry/exit.

Each EOS category has it's own supporting documentation requirements, but minimum requirements for all are;

- Valid passport with minimum 6 months validity remaining from the date the EOS will expire ie. If applying for 12 mth EOS, you need at least 18 months validity remaining on your passport
- Minimum 2x blank Visa pages in passport
- 1x Passport pic
- Completed EOS application form (most agents will complete on your behalf)
- FPCS details screenshot

For the ER (Retirement) EOS:
- If aged 55+ and applying via a Visa agency, no additional supporting documentation is required
- If aged under 55 and applying via a Visa Agency, proof of retirement and sufficient funds are required
- If applying directly via the DoI, the supporting documentation requirements are extensive and strict

Costs if applying via a Visa agency (price depends on agency and location);
- 1 mth EOS = $45 - 55
- 3 mth EOS = $70 - 90
- 6 mth EOS = $150 - 170
- 12 mth EOS = $270 - 300

There is no standard processing time, average is 7-10 business days, but you should allow up to 14 business days, anything less is a bonus. If you need it quickly, you can pay an additional $70 - 100 for express processing (next day) when applying via a Visa Agency.

*You also can apply for your EOS directly at the Department of Immigration (DoI) Visa Office in Pochentong, Phnom Penh, but only if you have all of the necessary supporting documentation, which they are very strict about. Official fee for a 12 month EOS applying directly is $180.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic