How is it for YOU returning to live in the west after several years abroad?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How is it for YOU returning to live in the west after several years abroad?

Post by newsgatherer »

I'm looking at Makro prices for 1kg of sliced bacon.

In Thailand they have it as ARO brand at 459baht I guess +7%vat = 491 to$ 13.50

In Cambodia it is Eurola brand 1kg = $13.70

And Cheese for pizza, bulk purchase

Makro thailand
Horeca Pizza Topping Cheese Block 2.2 kg
599.00 ฿+7% = 640= 17.59

vs

ARLA PIZZATOPPING 2.2KG
$16.90

The service level at Makro in both countries is the same imho, cold, quick efficient.

Other items such as Lactasoy which is produced in Thailand is less expensive, true.

My OPPO A16k was brand new for $100. I was pretending to be a Chinese customer by telegram,
Some vendors wanted to know if I was local and spoke Khmer. And therefore did not offer a discount on the regular price of $ 140

But going through the adds I found a vendor who was eager to sell at $100 with free delivery.

I think it's important to be very careful with your operation plan, or you will easily encounter white skin bias, and be charged more, and sometimes skipped at the cash register for another customer.

But you can't put a percentage on the level of customer service, you lost me with that one.

Cheers
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newsgatherer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:28 am I'm looking at Makro prices for 1kg of sliced bacon.

Makro Thailand prices include VAT, so your quoted Makro Thailand prices are inflated.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:46 pm
newsgatherer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:28 am I'm looking at Makro prices for 1kg of sliced bacon.

Makro Thailand prices include VAT, so your quoted Makro Thailand prices are inflated.
Many places VAT is included in price not added on
459 baht= $12.75 ( $1 = 36+ baht)

lets look at Dairy includes vat
2 lts milk Thailand 82 baht $2.27 Cambodia $4.25
Dutchie Yogurt, small ones ( 4 for 60 baht) $.42 Cambodia $.75
the drinking yogurt small 22 baht $.61 Cambodia $1.25

"....I just returned from Thailand and notice items here are 10-50% more expensive than in Thailand."
Brought in Thailand and transported overland to Cambodia an than mark up, of course its going to be higher.
Been saying that for years
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

Whatever... diary industry surely more developed, so ..

But when it comes to bulk, the difference gets to be much less,and the markets here offer great value for locals and friends I see..

"Cambodia is 10.4% more expensive than Thailand."

says google

I can live with it, ..

cheers
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

King Bhumibol pushed the creation of a dairy industry in Thailand in the 1950s. It works. There has only recently been an effort to create a dairy industry here, and I have yet to see any encouraging results.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:25 pm King Bhumibol pushed the creation of a dairy industry in Thailand in the 1950s. It works. There has only recently been an effort to create a dairy industry here, and I have yet to see any encouraging results.
Does anyone here, other than the relatively small expat community, drink milk or consume dairy products?
When I’ve told locals here that I’m heading into Kampot or Sihanoukville to buy milk and cheese, they look at me like I’m crazy, they’re definitely not into it, and unless the Chinese are fans of dairy, I doubt the industry will take off here any time soon.
I’ve also noticed in Kampot, the variety of dairy produce and the quantities stocked has reduced significantly lately.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

In general Asian's don't go for dairy products, like the Western people. But here it is expensive for such food good's, I know many items are imported too the super markets, and reading the other post's, yes, the good's are transported at a cost for sure, but I still stand by the import tax apparently 50%, many other countries have no tax on food products. But here we have the people who! Name it how you wish. I once was inquiring about meds in India, price is different in one country to the next, the price was cheaper than in Cambodia for the needed meds, they were a must with my late partner's illness, and for around 5 years or so I had been paying $70+ per month, with risk of shortage or has I found change in brand and price again. I intended to buy a year's worth that makes it cheaper in the long run. But it never happened because of the import tax once again nearly doubling up the price. Another example of high price, look at cars.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

All the kids in my wife's family are heavy users of dairy products. Litres of milk and yoghurt is consumed daily. Kids are from 4yo - 16yo. Same with their friends too. Only limiting factor is that parents don't buy much as the dairy products are so expensive still. City middle class kids.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

In my experience here people love dairy products. Unfortunately the dairy industry is not developed enough for people to tell the difference between condensed milk and fresh milk. Thai dairy products might not be the best but are affordable there. I was in Europe recently where they are ridiculously cheap but Thailand seems a better comparison.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:17 pm In my experience here people love dairy products. Unfortunately the dairy industry is not developed enough for people to tell the difference between condensed milk and fresh milk. Thai dairy products might not be the best but are affordable there. I was in Europe recently where they are ridiculously cheap but Thailand seems a better comparison.
I actually never thought about it from what you have posted, lack of development, it does hold things back a little. Also it is not that an importance many because of the high cost.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic