Thailand ‘tourist tax’ to come into effect next year

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thailand ‘tourist tax’ to come into effect next year

Post by phuketrichard »

No mention HOW it will be collected (need buy on arrival, included in ticket ( i doubt it)?
Starting next year, foreigners entering Thailand by plane will have to pay an “entry fee” of 300 baht. The “tourist tax” was originally intended to be imposed at the start of this year, but its implementation was delayed to give Thailand’s tourism industry a chance to recover from the pandemic.
The fee will be introduced “next year” – presumably January 1, 2023 – according to Thailand’s Minister of Tourism Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn.

Foreigners flying into Thailand are required to pay the entry fee, no matter their visa status. Any foreigners who are in the Kingdom of Thailand for less than 24 hours will be exempt from paying the fee, said the ministry. The fee equates to $US8.22.

Thai passport holders and Thai citizens will be exempt from the tourist tax. Foreigners who hold work permits, foreign diplomats, and infants under 2 years old will most likely be exempt from the tourist tax too, although this is yet to be confirmed by the ministry.
The Ministry of Tourism is still deciding whether the fee will apply to foreigners entering Thailand by land and sea but said it might not, or the fee might be reduced for land and sea arrivals.
The association is worried that tourists coming into southern Thailand via car, bus or train might only plan on staying in the kingdom for a few days and could be deterred by the cost.

The Ministry of Tourism appears to have considered this point and plans to impose the tax on foreigners arriving by plane only, although the exact details are not yet set in stone, said the ministry.
read more;
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism ... 7mhufcHfKc
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Thailand ‘tourist tax’ to come into effect next year

Post by Random Dude »

I might be wrong but I seem to recall having to pay an exit tax every time I flew out of Thailand back in the day - this would be about twenty years ago. I thought they built it into the ticket price after that.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Random Dude wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:53 pm I might be wrong but I seem to recall having to pay an exit tax every time I flew out of Thailand back in the day - this would be about twenty years ago. I thought they built it into the ticket price after that.
You're right about that. They used to collect cash at the airport when you departed on an international flight, then changed that some time to incorporate it into the ticket price.

This new contraption for arrivals will be in addition, go figure.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Alex wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:01 pm
Random Dude wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:53 pm I might be wrong but I seem to recall having to pay an exit tax every time I flew out of Thailand back in the day - this would be about twenty years ago. I thought they built it into the ticket price after that.
You're right about that. They used to collect cash at the airport when you departed on an international flight, then changed that some time to incorporate it into the ticket price.

They collected for every flight, but for domestic it was 30 THB only. It was their way to collect airport tax, which is now collected by the airlines.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

started out as u brought a 500 baht departure tax from vending machines, than it went to 750 included in tickets,
than it hit 1,000 baht

WAY back ( mid 80's) if u stayed more than 180 days in a calendar year u needed a tax Clarence ticket, had to visit the tax office cost 1,000 baht
As i was flying 2x/month for about 2 years it added up
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:51 pm
started out as u brought a 500 baht departure tax from vending machines, than it went to 750 included in tickets,
than it hit 1,000 baht

WAY back ( mid 80's) if u stayed more than 180 days in a calendar year u needed a tax Clarence ticket, had to visit the tax office cost 1,000 baht
As i was flying 2x/month for about 2 years it added up
I don't remember it being 500 baht, I thought it was 300 for some reason and I vaguely remember having to go to a service counter to buy it but I'm probably wrong, I was often still drunk from the night before when I flew out.

I do remember always putting the cash for the tax in a different part of my wallet so I didn't spend it by mistake, you'd always see people having spent the last of their baht the night before looking for an ATM or borrowing the money from their friends. I think a lot of people didn't realise there was a tax until they got to the airport.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I can remember Australia charged a departure tax years ago, you had to line up and pay at the airport, if included in the ticket nobody notices.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Alex wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:01 pm
You're right about that. They used to collect cash at the airport when you departed on an international flight, then changed that some time to incorporate it into the ticket price. Yes it was 500 baht departure tax.

Boredom is like a shroud
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

atst wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:41 pm I can remember Australia charged a departure tax years ago, you had to line up and pay at the airport, if included in the ticket nobody notices.
Or come to think about it , it was probably NZ
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic