Do you conjugate verbs around Cambodians or just use baby talk?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Neverending_Story
Tourist

Do you conjugate verbs around Cambodians or just use baby talk?

Post by Neverending_Story »

I was at a phone shop yesterday and the (Australian?) guy in front of my did his entire transaction in baby talk. Not a verb conjugated.

Currently sitting in a popular expat bar next to a guy who is talking to the staff exclusively in baby talk.

What would ever possess a native English speaker to say “Tomorrow I go Vietnam” or “She have”?

How are Cambodians ever going to learn to conjugate a verb when the native English speakers they encounter are saying “My friend drink beer too much last night” ?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do you conjugate verbs around Cambodians or just use baby talk?

Post by John Bingham »

It depends who I'm talking to so I'll sometimes simplify things but never do that moronic baby/ bar girl English. I might as well speak in Khmer if I'm talking to someone who knows very little English.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

It's gotta be easier to understand than drunken kiwi. I had a friend who went back to the States after years here and struggled to talk normal for a while.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Neverending_Story wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:41 pm I was at a phone shop yesterday and the (Australian?) guy in front of my did his entire transaction in baby talk. Not a verb conjugated.

Currently sitting in a popular expat bar next to a guy who is talking to the staff exclusively in baby talk.

What would ever possess a native English speaker to say “Tomorrow I go Vietnam” or “She have”?

How are Cambodians ever going to learn to conjugate a verb when the native English speakers they encounter are saying “My friend drink beer too much last night” ?
Don't get too upset about it. What's more charming than a pretty waitress asking if you want some eye in your drink, or you want rye with your soup.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I use language according to the listener's command of English. I'd rather be understood than sound correct.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Neverending_Story wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:41 pm How are Cambodians ever going to learn to conjugate a verb when the native English speakers they encounter are saying “My friend drink beer too much last night” ?
It's not my job to teach every Cambodian to speak English, I just want to be understood.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

that is why i cant talk cambrodian , to me it sounds like a drunk austrailien trying tospeak thai
and they always add silent r’s , like i do when i write cambodia 🇰🇭
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Neverending_Story wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:41 pm I was at a phone shop yesterday and the (Australian?) guy in front of my did his entire transaction in baby talk. Not a verb conjugated.

As a native English speaker, I’m thankful that locals have a basic/sufficient level of English with which to get some two way communication going. Ordering food, drinks, etc. Best to keep it simple.
If the bar person* is dealing with British, Irish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Nigerian and US/Aus/Kiwi, in which of these languages should we expect her** to be proficient, but which won’t attract her to a lucrative job with the UN as a translator?

As a former French colonial region, I’m a little surprised that more French isn’t spoken. One of my favourite Pharmacies has a little old couple whose English is nil, but who speak French, and I get to use my baby talk French, badly conjugated.

*inclusive, non binary, non discriminatory term, apparently
**decidedly specific gender recognition
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Speaking in English just like speaking in Khmer gets the point across, especially if they aren’t fluent in English and understand basic words and phrases, not necessarily the correct conjugation or verb tense. Why confuse them? Especially in Cambodia. Depending on the level of English of the speaker.

Those are my thoughts.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's a big difference between choosing more commonly understood words and simplifying your sentences to speaking like some moron caveman who spent too long in Pattaya.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic