K visas and exit visas. Is this way possible?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

K visas and exit visas. Is this way possible?

Post by Phnom Krom »

Let's say kids have 2 passports, one Cambodian and one USA.

Kid 1 has never left Cambodia.

Kid 2 has a K visa in expired USA passport and now has a new USA passport.

Can they both avoid the exit visa crap at immigration near airport IF they exit to Thailand on Cambodian passport and return with both passports? The idea being they would get a free K visa in their USA passorts and also not need family book and birth certificate because they already have Cambodian passports? If it failed, they still can reenter on Cambodian passport, right?

Anyone done this? Or know more? Any risks I am not aware of?

Lastly, for kid 2 that has K visa in old passport, still need a new exit visa or just bring expired passport?

Many thanks for your input(s).
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: K visas and exit visas. Is this way possible?

Post by armchairlawyer »

I hear it is possible in theory. But in order to get the K visa, you have to prove the child's ID and in order to do that you have to show his Khmer passport. So then they say just use his Khmer passport to enter. Then you find out how good your powers of persuasion are.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Phnom Krom wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:08 pm Let's say kids have 2 passports, one Cambodian and one USA.

Kid 1 has never left Cambodia.

Kid 2 has a K visa in expired USA passport and now has a new USA passport.

Can they both avoid the exit visa crap at immigration near airport IF they exit to Thailand on Cambodian passport and return with both passports? The idea being they would get a free K visa in their USA passorts and also not need family book and birth certificate because they already have Cambodian passports? If it failed, they still can reenter on Cambodian passport, right?

Anyone done this? Or know more? Any risks I am not aware of?

Lastly, for kid 2 that has K visa in old passport, still need a new exit visa or just bring expired passport?

Many thanks for your input(s).
My understanding based upon my experience doing same thing for my kids is that the kid presently without K-Visa needs exit visa but for the other one simply bring old passport with k- visa in it when leaving

It's really easy to get exit visa though - I wouldn't consider it a hassle at all - just get it done 24 hours before departure to be safe
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Just Exit and Enter Cambodia on Cambodian passports....no need to fuck around with Exit Visas and K-type Visas
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:04 pm Just Exit and Enter Cambodia on Cambodian passports....no need to fuck around with Exit Visas and K-type Visas
OP wants a free K1 for kid 1.
Yeah I know they are free anyway and he doesn't need it anyway..
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

If the OP insists on the need to get K-type Visas for the kids, then he'll need to fluff around with Exit Visas. It's a waste of time, the kids can exit/enter Cambodia on their Cambodian passports, absolutely no need for K-type Visas.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Resurrecting (but for good reason)

My scenario-
Exiting on a valid Khmer passport is no issue, but it may well have expired prior to the next entry. My son has both Khmer and UK passports. I can see some validity in getting a K visa. But only if it isn’t onerous and excessively time consuming.

I guess it’s a ministry only exercise?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:50 am Resurrecting (but for good reason)

My scenario-
Exiting on a valid Khmer passport is no issue, but it may well have expired prior to the next entry. My son has both Khmer and UK passports. I can see some validity in getting a K visa. But only if it isn’t onerous and excessively time consuming.

I guess it’s a ministry only exercise?
Exit on Cambodian passport, if Cambodian passport expires before return to Cambodia then just get K-type Visa on Arrival in UK passport, quick and simple.

Or, get him a new Cambodian passport before you leave.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I got a K visa for my child on arrival at PNH.
From memory, you need the child’s birth certificate and the mother also needs to be present. It is free but one is encouraged to make a donation. The visa expires the same date as the passport.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:49 pm I got a K visa for my child on arrival at PNH.
From memory, you need the child’s birth certificate and the mother also needs to be present. It is free but one is encouraged to make a donation. The visa expires the same date as the passport.
Same here, was not even asked for money (@ Pochentong, @ the DoI the wanted $$$), showed copy of birth certificate only. Had the original with me, but they didn't care. My kid did it herself, in Khmer, so maybe that softened their heart. Mum not present.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic