K visas and exit visas. Is this way possible?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ali baba
Expatriate

Re: K visas and exit visas. Is this way possible?

Post by ali baba »

You guys must have bigger pockets than me to be able to carry such a plethora of documents.
airport taxes are refunded, its enough to pay for about 3 beers up in departures
How many airport tax refunds does it take to pay for the passport itself though?
Scarier than malaria.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:13 pm One reason to have the K-visa for a child is that if the parents have separated, it may be more easy for the single father to exit Cambodia on the foreign passport. They can be taken to be foreigners just returning home.

Also, i understand it is getting harder to get renewals of Khmer passports for people with mixed nationality parents. Extra fees and paperwork are being demanded.
Fair enough for first point....BS to 2nd point, no extra fees or paperwork for mixed Nationalities applying for or renewing Cambodian pp - although some people have faced issues at the Aeon 2 passport office due to corrupt staff members , which is why I always reccomend going to the main pp office in Chbar Ampouv.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

ali baba wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:29 pm You guys must have bigger pockets than me to be able to carry such a plethora of documents.
airport taxes are refunded, its enough to pay for about 3 beers up in departures
How many airport tax refunds does it take to pay for the passport itself though?
Adult passport $100, valid for 10 years, kids (under 6 yrs old) passport $80, valid for 5 years...don't need deep pockets.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Duplicate post
Last edited by armchairlawyer on Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:26 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:13 pm One reason to have the K-visa for a child is that if the parents have separated, it may be more easy for the single father to exit Cambodia on the foreign passport. They can be taken to be foreigners just returning home.

Also, i understand it is getting harder to get renewals of Khmer passports for people with mixed nationality parents. Extra fees and paperwork are being demanded.
Fair enough for first point....BS to 2nd point, no extra fees or paperwork for mixed Nationalities applying for or renewing Cambodian pp - although some people have faced issues at the Aeon 2 passport office due to corrupt staff members , which is why I always reccomend going to the main pp office in Chbar Ampouv.
It’s a recent development. I have solid info on this.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

About one and a half years ago I was asked for 'legalization' of the required documents by the issuing Sangkat, or a significant amount of USD instead. Went to the DoI to ask for K-visa, they were greedy too, so had a nice weekend in Bangkok with my kid and got a K-visa when we returned. Once bitten, twice shy, I have passed on the Khmer passport when I can get an EU passport at half the fee in days and a K- visa for free. It takes a lot of departures from Pochentong on a Khmer passport with a kid to make up for the passport fee. The refund is 3$ per departure for kids if I recall well.

There's a growing tendency in Cambodia to not just accept National / Sangkat documents, but ask for a seperate confirmation document instead. Experienced it twice since the passport fiasco, which was indeed at AEON 2.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

don't need deep pockets
You need big pockets to carry all your passports in. I'd rather take one each than 2 each. The K visa is easy to acquire at the airport.
Scarier than malaria.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:47 pm

What is this apparent recent development, and source? Kids are Cambodian Citizens regardless of whether one of their parents is a Foreigner, they are required to provide exactly the same supporting documentation as any other Cambodian Citizen, nothing more nothing less.

There have been people facing issues at the Aeon 2 passport office as I mentioned, and many formal complaints made to the relevant authorities, but no issues at the main passport office.

@Kammekor $7.50 refund p/p last time I flew out with the kids.

Anyway, I choose to have both Cambodian and Kiwi passports for my kids....some people are happy enough to just stick with Foreign passport and K-type Visa....individual choice, up to you :wink:
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:03 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:47 pm

What is this apparent recent development, and source? Kids are Cambodian Citizens regardless of whether one of their parents is a Foreigner, they are required to provide exactly the same supporting documentation as any other Cambodian Citizen, nothing more nothing less.

There have been people facing issues at the Aeon 2 passport office as I mentioned, and many formal complaints made to the relevant authorities, but no issues at the main passport office.

@Kammekor $7.50 refund p/p last time I flew out with the kids.

Anyway, I choose to have both Cambodian and Kiwi passports for my kids....some people are happy enough to just stick with Foreign passport and K-type Visa....individual choice, up to you :wink:
I admire your respect for basic principles. Kammekor's post tells us this has already been an issue for a while. I'm saying I think it's getting worse. Hopefully I'm wrong, we'll see.
BuckDefiant
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by BuckDefiant »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:02 pm If the OP insists on the need to get K-type Visas for the kids, then he'll need to fluff around with Exit Visas. It's a waste of time, the kids can exit/enter Cambodia on their Cambodian passports, absolutely no need for K-type Visas.
@PSD-Kiwi when exiting on Cambodian but entering destination on foreign/destinations passport, which passport # have you successfully entered on the airline ticket when purchasing?

Seems there's three gates, 1) the ticket checkin, 2) KH Exit Control and 3) Destination Entry Control (DEC).

I _think_ DEC normally matches the passport with airline arrival roster, but perhaps not, or if so, not an issue if mismatched?

Thanks for sharing actual experience...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic