K visas and exit visas. Is this way possible?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freebirdzz
Expatriate

Re: K visas and exit visas. Is this way possible?

Post by Freebirdzz »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:23 pm
Freightdog wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:50 am Resurrecting (but for good reason)

My scenario-
Exiting on a valid Khmer passport is no issue, but it may well have expired prior to the next entry. My son has both Khmer and UK passports. I can see some validity in getting a K visa. But only if it isn’t onerous and excessively time consuming.

I guess it’s a ministry only exercise?
Exit on Cambodian passport, if Cambodian passport expires before return to Cambodia then just get K-type Visa on Arrival in UK passport, quick and simple.

Or, get him a new Cambodian passport before you leave.
Do they give K visas to Cambodian passport holders? My Cambodian wife is getting her US passport soon. Can/should she ask for a K visa in that passport or is it unnecessary or not allowed because she has a Cambodian passport?

If a Cambodian who has emigrated to Europe or North America returns home and asks for a K visa in fluent Khmer, do they say "No, not unless you show us a birth certificate"?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

K-type (Special) Visas are for Cambodians/those of Cambodian descent travelling in a foreign passport. If they have a valid Cambodian Passport then there is absolutely no need for a K-type Visa.

Officially, proof of Cambodian Nationality is required, ie. birth certificate, Family Book, Cambodian passport, etc., however if the applicant looks Cambodian and speaks Cambodian then that is often proof enough, although it all depends on the Immigration Offficer on the day, so best to have proof.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:49 pm I got a K visa for my child on arrival at PNH.
From memory, you need the child’s birth certificate and the mother also needs to be present. It is free but one is encouraged to make a donation. The visa expires the same date as the passport.
I did this a couple of times, both times exit visas were needed as far as I remember. On return it was a very simple process, I did need a birth cert but the mother wasn't required to be present.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Exit Visas are only required when departing the country on a foreign passport without a valid Cambodian Visa or EOS.

These days the DoI Visa Office are actually issuing K-type Visas to those eligible rather than the whole fluffing around with Exit Visas and then getting the K-type VOA.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:56 am Exit Visas are only required when departing the country on a foreign passport without a valid Cambodian Visa or EOS.

These days the DoI Visa Office are actually issuing K-type Visas to those eligible rather than the whole fluffing around with Exit Visas and then getting the K-type VOA.
So turning up at the immigration department at the airport with UK, Khmer passports and the Khmer birth certificate results in walking out with the k visa in the passport??
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@IraHayes (at the Visa office across the road, not at the airport) in most cases, yes, not normally issued on the spot though, takes a few days. Officially an Exit Visa would be issued and then you apply for the K-type Visa on Arrival upon return, however since COVID the Visa Office have been issuingbthe K-type Visa to those eligible in lieu of the Exit Visa.

I don't understand why you'd bother with the K-type Visa though if they already have Cambodian passports, just exit/Enter Cambodia on them, no need for the K-type Visa....Immigration would probably tell you the same thing.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Carrying one passport with a valid visa is more convenient than carrying 2 especially when you have multiple children.
Scarier than malaria.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

ali baba wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:28 pm Carrying one passport with a valid visa is more convenient than carrying 2 especially when you have multiple children.
If one of those passports is for the country you're coming from and the other is for the country you're going to, it's definitely more convenient to bring both.

I can confirm when we moved from Cambodia to England we just had both of my son's passports with us, no exit visas required.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

And don't forget, by having the Cambodian passport, airport taxes are refunded, its enough to pay for about 3 beers up in departures 😉

Also, when departing foreign country back to Cambodia, the Cambodian passport proves the right to enter Cambodia and avoids all the stupid questions or requirements such as proof of return/onward journey, hotel booking, etc that some airlines think are required.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

One reason to have the K-visa for a child is that if the parents have separated, it may be more easy for the single father to exit Cambodia on the foreign passport. They can be taken to be foreigners just returning home.

Also, i understand it is getting harder to get renewals of Khmer passports for people with mixed nationality parents. Extra fees and paperwork are being demanded.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic