Titanium dioxide particles frequently present in face masks intended for general use require regulatory control

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Titanium dioxide particles frequently present in face masks intended for general use require regulatory control

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Abstract

Although titanium dioxide (TiO2) is a suspected human carcinogen when inhaled, fiber-grade TiO2 (nano)particles were demonstrated in synthetic textile fibers of face masks intended for the general public. STEM-EDX analysis on sections of a variety of single use and reusable face masks visualized agglomerated near-spherical TiO2 particles in non-woven fabrics, polyester, polyamide and bi-component fibers. Median sizes of constituent particles ranged from 89 to 184 nm, implying an important fraction of nano-sized particles (< 100 nm). The total TiO2 mass determined by ICP-OES ranged from 791 to 152,345 µg per mask. The estimated TiO2 mass at the fiber surface ranged from 17 to 4394 µg, and systematically exceeded the acceptable exposure level to TiO2 by inhalation (3.6 µg), determined based on a scenario where face masks are worn intensively. No assumptions were made about the likelihood of the release of TiO2 particles itself, since direct measurement of release and inhalation uptake when face masks are worn could not be assessed. The importance of wearing face masks against COVID-19 is unquestionable. Even so, these results urge for in depth research of (nano)technology applications in textiles to avoid possible future consequences caused by a poorly regulated use and to implement regulatory standards phasing out or limiting the amount of TiO2 particles, following the safe-by-design principle.
Introduction

Wearing face masks is an important and widely applied public health measure to control the COVID-19 pandemic1. A recent study, testing several batches of face masks intended to be put on sale as personal protective equipment, showed that 70% of the examined face masks contained TiO2 in quantities ranging from 100 to 2000 mg kg−12. This suggests that TiO2 is commonly applied in textiles of face masks, as in a wide variety of other textiles, e.g. to improve stability to ultraviolet light, as white colorant or as a matting agent3,4. In addition, to introduce new solutions to the challenges associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, textile companies are incorporating specific nanofiber, nanocomposite and nanoparticle technology into face masks5,6. Nanofibers containing TiO2 nanoparticles have been produced to create antimicrobial filters7, also in combination with silver8 and graphene9. Coatings of TiO2 nanoparticles on cotton fabric were applied for enhanced self-cleaning and antibacterial properties10.

In their recent opinion paper, Palmeiri et al.5 warn for the possible future consequences caused by a poorly regulated use of nanotechnology in textiles applied to improve the performance of face masks. In animal experiments, toxic effects were reported when TiO2 particles were inhaled11,12, as well as when they were ingested orally13,14. In 2017, the Risk Assessment Committee (RAC) of the European Chemical Agency (ECHA) reviewed the carcinogenic potential of TiO2 and proposed to classify Titanium dioxide as Carc. 2, H351 (suspected human carcinogen)15 by inhalation. This CLP classification16 was adopted for titanium dioxide.

To evaluate whether the TiO2 particles in face masks possibly present a health risk, their amounts, their physicochemical properties and their localization were analyzed in a selection of face masks. Supporting on these measurements, the amount of TiO2 at the surface of the textile fibers was estimated and compared with the acceptable exposure level to TiO2 by inhalation, expressed per mask (AELmask).
pretty chunky and detailed report. Full report is here

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-06605-w

Don't reuse single use masks and don't use reusable masks would be my takeaway from it
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Titanium dioxide particles frequently present in face masks intended for general use require regulatory control

Post by yong »

Once again we are being screwed left right center by this covid shit from from vaccine to masks. Looks like they really wanna reduce the wart’s population.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Re: Titanium dioxide particles frequently present in face masks intended for general use require regulatory control

Post by Apollo91881 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:28 pm
Abstract

Although titanium dioxide (TiO2) is a suspected human carcinogen when inhaled, fiber-grade TiO2 (nano)particles were demonstrated in synthetic textile fibers of face masks intended for the general public. STEM-EDX analysis on sections of a variety of single use and reusable face masks visualized agglomerated near-spherical TiO2 particles in non-woven fabrics, polyester, polyamide and bi-component fibers. Median sizes of constituent particles ranged from 89 to 184 nm, implying an important fraction of nano-sized particles (< 100 nm). The total TiO2 mass determined by ICP-OES ranged from 791 to 152,345 µg per mask. The estimated TiO2 mass at the fiber surface ranged from 17 to 4394 µg, and systematically exceeded the acceptable exposure level to TiO2 by inhalation (3.6 µg), determined based on a scenario where face masks are worn intensively. No assumptions were made about the likelihood of the release of TiO2 particles itself, since direct measurement of release and inhalation uptake when face masks are worn could not be assessed. The importance of wearing face masks against COVID-19 is unquestionable. Even so, these results urge for in depth research of (nano)technology applications in textiles to avoid possible future consequences caused by a poorly regulated use and to implement regulatory standards phasing out or limiting the amount of TiO2 particles, following the safe-by-design principle.
Introduction

Wearing face masks is an important and widely applied public health measure to control the COVID-19 pandemic1. A recent study, testing several batches of face masks intended to be put on sale as personal protective equipment, showed that 70% of the examined face masks contained TiO2 in quantities ranging from 100 to 2000 mg kg−12. This suggests that TiO2 is commonly applied in textiles of face masks, as in a wide variety of other textiles, e.g. to improve stability to ultraviolet light, as white colorant or as a matting agent3,4. In addition, to introduce new solutions to the challenges associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, textile companies are incorporating specific nanofiber, nanocomposite and nanoparticle technology into face masks5,6. Nanofibers containing TiO2 nanoparticles have been produced to create antimicrobial filters7, also in combination with silver8 and graphene9. Coatings of TiO2 nanoparticles on cotton fabric were applied for enhanced self-cleaning and antibacterial properties10.

In their recent opinion paper, Palmeiri et al.5 warn for the possible future consequences caused by a poorly regulated use of nanotechnology in textiles applied to improve the performance of face masks. In animal experiments, toxic effects were reported when TiO2 particles were inhaled11,12, as well as when they were ingested orally13,14. In 2017, the Risk Assessment Committee (RAC) of the European Chemical Agency (ECHA) reviewed the carcinogenic potential of TiO2 and proposed to classify Titanium dioxide as Carc. 2, H351 (suspected human carcinogen)15 by inhalation. This CLP classification16 was adopted for titanium dioxide.

To evaluate whether the TiO2 particles in face masks possibly present a health risk, their amounts, their physicochemical properties and their localization were analyzed in a selection of face masks. Supporting on these measurements, the amount of TiO2 at the surface of the textile fibers was estimated and compared with the acceptable exposure level to TiO2 by inhalation, expressed per mask (AELmask).

Don't reuse single use masks and don't use reusable masks would be my takeaway from it
Thanks for sharing
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Call me crazy, but it seems to me that everyone that is "fully vaccinated" and always wears masks are the ones who are always sick.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

SlowJoe wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:42 pm Call me crazy, but it seems to me that everyone that is "fully vaccinated" and always wears masks are the ones who are always sick.
Crazy
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

SlowJoe wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:42 pm Call me crazy, but it seems to me that everyone that is "fully vaccinated" and always wears masks are the ones who are always sick.
Crazy.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I would like to join the "crazy" statement, but looking at reality, Murphy's full force is going on here, skipping the biggest mask refusals and vac delayers getting C19 (my boss for exampe) and the ones, that are (had been) careful, getting it (me)
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

ressl wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:23 pm I would like to join the "crazy" statement, but looking at reality, Murphy's full force is going on here, skipping the biggest mask refusals and vac delayers getting C19 (my boss for exampe) and the ones, that are (had been) careful, getting it (me)
That's the camp I'm in actually.

I was always up to date with all my vaccinations and always followed rules and protocols, and I was ALWAYS sick. Always getting the flu, always having constant health problems, have constant allergies whether it be air related or food related, etc.

Meanwhile everyone else around me who skipped flu shots, didn't exercise like I did, didn't take any prescription meds, didn't keep up with boosters...they were always healthy and energetic and never had any problems that I did.

Makes you feel crazy at times.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The statistics say otherwise. For example in the US the states that have the most anti-vaxxers and people who cry about having to wear a mask the death rates are far higher. Sure, I'd agree that the way the mess was handled could have been better but to deny basic medical science is ridiculous. There isn't some giant conspiracy that involves all the doctors and officials in 195 countries trying to fuck up the world and kill all the people who take their vaccines. If anything this secret cabal would try to kill all the people who didn't take their poison. It isn't some brilliant plot from China, unless you believe that their plot involves putting back their economic growth and freedom to travel by decades. BTW I had three Sinovacs and one Pfizer and I never caught COVID. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:28 pm
Abstract

Introduction

I'm sure it's a valid study and everything, there probably are carcinogens in masks - why not, they're everywhere else - but still .... if they were a serious risk to health you'd think people like nurses, dentists, etc who have been wearing masks their whole working lives would have been dying in much greater numbers than the general population for years, and the connection would have been made a long time ago. The fact that masks don't seem to have been killing our medical workers all these years makes me think we're still better off with a mask than without.

It's probably like sunscreen. Sunscreens have been found to have carcinogens in them, that's obviously not a good thing, using sunscreen probably increases your risk of cancer slightly but NOT using sunscreen increases your risk of cancer a lot, as well as copping a severe sunburn.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic