Can you drive 36,000 kilometers in three days?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Can you drive 36,000 kilometers in three days?

Post by hanno »

Car rental company Avis thinks you can, charging Canadian woman $8,000:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... nce-canada
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Can you drive 36,000 kilometers in three days?

Post by Freightdog »

If my maths is right, in effect they are claiming that she has maintained an average speed of 500km/h for each of 72hrs. 310mph.

Every single person involved in that decision process should be considered unfit for the job. It would be interesting to know what car she was renting.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I have been truckdriving all my life, and pretty used to do 1000 km a day, even its illegal now because some stupid laws, and have done once in my life with my car 1700 kms between my spanish appartement and my belgian home. And you are really focked after 1700 kms. But ofcourse it also depends on what roads, and what car you driving in !! ??
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:57 pm If my maths is right, in effect they are claiming that she has maintained an average speed of 500km/h for each of 72hrs. 310mph.

Every single person involved in that decision process should be considered unfit for the job. It would be interesting to know what car she was renting.
GMC Yukon Denali. But even in a super sports car driving almost the circumference of the earth in that time should have raised some eyebrows at Avis.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bongmab69 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:05 pm I have been truckdriving all my life, and pretty used to do 1000 km a day, even its illegal now because some stupid laws, and have done once in my life with my car 1700 kms between my spanish appartement and my belgian home. And you are really focked after 1700 kms. But ofcourse it also depends on what roads, and what car you driving in !! ??
1,000 kms./day is fuck all: we once had a race ( 2 drivers/car ) from Washington Dc to SF back in the 60's
2,800 +miles: ( 4,500 + kms)
fastest time was a little under 48 hours
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

At a big company, everything is compartmentalized, everyone does their part in their compartment. With an emphasis on generating revenue, of course. One compartment does not fact check with the other compartments.

In fact, is no one checking the big picture.

The mileage tracker might be off by a few zeros. But that distance can be covered in a multi year truck rental. Other compartments don’t know it’s a 3 day rental.

The billing departments job is to issue bills. Collections is to get money. Customer service is to stonewall any attempts for money to leave the company, etc.

Only the media spotlight will get a big company’s attention when things go awry.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

She did the right thing and broadcast it to any media outlet that will pick up the story. Twitter is useful in these cases. These big companies monitor the media and so when they are getting trashed they will usually act when obviously in the wrong.

The comment about Visa is interesting. I'm pretty sure something in the rental contract will authorise Avis to debit whatever they want and once you sign those spiteful one sided contracts Visa will back them up and not reverse the transaction.

This is why I like ABA and your control over card transaction limits. If you set your transaction limit to a small amount and no more than twice a day these rogue debits will never get authorised.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Getting the media involved-
Such a shame that public image is more important than integrity. Are they taking a leaf out of o’Leary’s book.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:54 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:05 pm I have been truckdriving all my life, and pretty used to do 1000 km a day, even its illegal now because some stupid laws, and have done once in my life with my car 1700 kms between my spanish appartement and my belgian home. And you are really focked after 1700 kms. But ofcourse it also depends on what roads, and what car you driving in !! ??
1,000 kms./day is fuck all: we once had a race ( 2 drivers/car ) from Washington Dc to SF back in the 60's
2,800 +miles: ( 4,500 + kms)
fastest time was a little under 48 hours
Whippy Doo 1000klm a day she's accused of doing 12000 a day.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:08 pm She did the right thing and broadcast it to any media outlet that will pick up the story. Twitter is useful in these cases. These big companies monitor the media and so when they are getting trashed they will usually act when obviously in the wrong.

The comment about Visa is interesting. I'm pretty sure something in the rental contract will authorise Avis to debit whatever they want and once you sign those spiteful one sided contracts Visa will back them up and not reverse the transaction.

This is why I like ABA and your control over card transaction limits. If you set your transaction limit to a small amount and no more than twice a day these rogue debits will never get authorised.
you probably wont be able to get a rental car with your ABA card though. Last time I rented a car FOR A SINGLE DAY the rental company blocked around 800 US on my card for deposit reasons (and this is on top of the agreed rental fee). The deposit was unblocked a week after ending the rental only.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic