How is it for HER in the west?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Re: How is it for HER in the west?

Post by Cambo Dear »

We've been here for 8 years and things have been good - my wife is now a British citizen and passport holder and is settled into life here. One thing that she has done, pretty much from day one, is work and I have been a massive advocate of this. This means that she has had a circle of her own friends, has up skilled and has done all of the things necessary to improve job prospects, as everyone else does - she's finished college, got her driving license and her own car, etc. I think that the women who find it most difficult to cope are those whose partners encourage them to stay at home and be housewives. This is isolating and means that hours are whiled away watching karaoke videos and pining for home. Just my thoughts 😁
oldfatbarang
Expatriate

Post by oldfatbarang »

I am an American who has been married to a Cambodian wife for over 20 years.We have lived in several countries where I worked and moved to America in 2004 after I retired.We live in Florida on ten acres of land with a pnd and have a fruit orchard and a fish pond and a few acres of woodlands that we have cleared the underbrush from and made into a park like place to walk through.We have quite a bit of wildlife that pass though.We put out food for the deer and ducks and rabbits and my wife feed the fish in the pond twice a day,She loves it here.She has made pets of wild rabbitrs and ducks and grows lots of flowers,We live peacefully and have a very pleasant trouble free, life here.We get no visitors and only go out when we need to buy groceries or to a medical appointments a few times each year.We are considing the idea of returning to Cambodia.My wife has owned a restaurant in the past and is thinking about opening another one in Cambodia.I am 73 years old and she is 50 and she fighures that she would like to have a restaurant to keep her busy after I die and she also would like to open it so that our nieces could work in it and eventually take it over.My wife is a bit different than most other Asians that I have known in America.She has avoided other Asians,She is friendly and will be nice to other Asians that she meets but she avoids close relationships with them.She feels that she avoids problems that way.I think that she is right.She never has problems.She enjoys growing flowers and trees and she loves animals so this place is perfect for her.If we were able to sponsor the nieces we would bring them here rather than return to Asia but we are not able to sponsor them.U.S. immigration seems to be ok with illegals but not with anyone who wants to do it the right way.I am not sure that I would want our nieces to attend school in the U.S. Ameircan schools are more into indoctrination than they are education.I don't want our nieces to spend time learning about how wonderful it is to be transgender,I would rather that they learn to read and write and add and subtract,The main negative factor of living in America that my wife has encountered is that guys try to flirt with her when she goes shopping.I don't see it happening to American girls but it happens a lot to my wife.She is 50 but still very fit and attractive.However guys were worse in Malaysia than anywhere else in that regard,Here in the U.S. the guys are not vulgar but there are a lot of older men that tend to try and flirt with her when she is shopping.Other than that she has no complaints.She has had a negative encounter with a group of illegal hispanics who surrounded her as she was nearing a hardware store in a small town.She pulled out her pepper spray and was prepared to spay anyone of them if they had tried to out thier hand on her.SHe also has been made uncomfortable by some black Americans who have tried to chat with her while she was shopping.She does not feel safe walking alone in America.And She does not feel safe alone at night at home when I am away.I bought her a 20 guage semi automatic shotgun and a pistol and taught her how to use them,for pesonal protection at home.America is not a safe place for a women alone.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

oldfatbarang wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:24 am I am an American who has been married to a Cambodian wife for over 20 years.We have lived in several countries where I worked and moved to America in 2004 after I retired.We live in Florida on ten acres of land with a pnd and have a fruit orchard and a fish pond and a few acres of woodlands that we have cleared the underbrush from and made into a park like place to walk through.We have quite a bit of wildlife that pass though.We put out food for the deer and ducks and rabbits and my wife feed the fish in the pond twice a day,She loves it here.She has made pets of wild rabbitrs and ducks and grows lots of flowers,We live peacefully and have a very pleasant trouble free, life here.We get no visitors and only go out when we need to buy groceries or to a medical appointments a few times each year.We are considing the idea of returning to Cambodia.My wife has owned a restaurant in the past and is thinking about opening another one in Cambodia.I am 73 years old and she is 50 and she fighures that she would like to have a restaurant to keep her busy after I die and she also would like to open it so that our nieces could work in it and eventually take it over.My wife is a bit different than most other Asians that I have known in America.She has avoided other Asians,She is friendly and will be nice to other Asians that she meets but she avoids close relationships with them.She feels that she avoids problems that way.I think that she is right.She never has problems.She enjoys growing flowers and trees and she loves animals so this place is perfect for her.If we were able to sponsor the nieces we would bring them here rather than return to Asia but we are not able to sponsor them.U.S. immigration seems to be ok with illegals but not with anyone who wants to do it the right way.I am not sure that I would want our nieces to attend school in the U.S. Ameircan schools are more into indoctrination than they are education.I don't want our nieces to spend time learning about how wonderful it is to be transgender,I would rather that they learn to read and write and add and subtract,The main negative factor of living in America that my wife has encountered is that guys try to flirt with her when she goes shopping.I don't see it happening to American girls but it happens a lot to my wife.She is 50 but still very fit and attractive.However guys were worse in Malaysia than anywhere else in that regard,Here in the U.S. the guys are not vulgar but there are a lot of older men that tend to try and flirt with her when she is shopping.Other than that she has no complaints.She has had a negative encounter with a group of illegal hispanics who surrounded her as she was nearing a hardware store in a small town.She pulled out her pepper spray and was prepared to spay anyone of them if they had tried to out thier hand on her.SHe also has been made uncomfortable by some black Americans who have tried to chat with her while she was shopping.She does not feel safe walking alone in America.And She does not feel safe alone at night at home when I am away.I bought her a 20 guage semi automatic shotgun and a pistol and taught her how to use them,for pesonal protection at home.America is not a safe place for a women alone.
Wow, that sounds terrible. It's nice as long as you never leave the house and never sleep alone. What area of Florida is that? I have family in Florida, they spend more time in restaurants drinking Pina Coladas than avoiding street gangs.

And regarding your comment about education - I returned to the US with that being one of the most important benefits, education for my children in USA instead of Cambodia. Not that the USA is some picture of perfection and that schools are without issue, it just seems you are being a bit extreme due to some political matters.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That sounds like a good enough situation. I'm not sure what your healthcare plan is but moving here at your age it's something to consider.

Otherwise:
America is not a safe place for a women alone.

I'd say the same about Cambodia. Many areas are not safe at all for lone women, especially at night (which is pretty much half of the time). :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:45 am That sounds like a good enough situation. I'm not sure what your healthcare plan is but moving here at your age it's something to consider.

Otherwise:

I'd say the same about Cambodia. Many areas are not safe at all for lone women, especially at night (which is pretty much half of the time). :?
I don't get the comment, especially since it was made without saying "at night" which would make it a general comment that applies to many areas of the world.

My wife is out and about alone all of the time. We joke about any flirting attempt instead of building an underground bunker and buying a sawed-off shotgun.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:58 am
John Bingham wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:45 am That sounds like a good enough situation. I'm not sure what your healthcare plan is but moving here at your age it's something to consider.

Otherwise:

I don't get the comment, especially since it was made without saying "at night" which would make it a general comment that applies to many areas of the world.

My wife is out and about alone all of the time. We joke about any flirting attempt instead of building an underground bunker and buying a sawed-off shotgun.
Where matters a lot too. There are some central areas that are safe enough, out in the villages in Por Senchey might be a lot different.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:49 pm
Sounds kind of dull and old-fashioned to be honest. 8-)
Reminds me of your avatar pic to be honest ^^ 8)

French & Indonesian, in France. Back for our kid's education. I work & provide, she takes care of our home & kid when i'm at work.
I have my driving licenses, she doesn't. But has around 20 Indo friends in a 20 miles radius, most with cars. She's studying it, it takes time in France, around 1200 e and it's long and difficult, unlike the US way.
Not too fluent in my language yet, i am in hers.
She's comfortable with european standards, a bit less interactive and curious than i hoped, but enjoying gradually the life here.
Always in touch with her family, exchanging pics & chats etc, socially active but mostly between compatriates, which is a bit disappointing to me but understandable as they're here and look for her too. Shes got more close friends than me now, and gather often enough just like a cooking competition every time.

The thing for me is to get the exact equation by priorities :
1-Family friendly workhours (our kid is 9)
2- Acceptable income
3-Free weekends so we can move around.
4- Working independantly (i'm fed up of team work, feel better independant at work), even in a large company.
5- Getting something random everyday to keep awake, via my work (task, location...)
So i can be at ease at work, and after it.
If the work is ok, the family time will be better, that's how i live it.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Me British, her Indonesian. Living nr Manchester. We've been back here 2 years. All good really. We lived in Jakarta for a long time, it's a shit hole. Being in the UK is luxury in comparison. Proper shops, clean, and 10 mins to wonderful countryside for hiking. She has a few Indo friends but doesn't get too close..Asians are always looking for a problem. She loves European food and cooks Asian food. The winter was a novelty that soon wore off and money is tight but coming here was right, so many choices.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:10 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000fl ... 0fishermen.

Recommended.
Yes it's available on YouTube. Really interesting.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Gazzy wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:47 am Me British, her Indonesian. Living nr Manchester, it's a shit hole. We've been back here 2 years. All good really. We lived in Jakarta for a long time. Being in the UK is luxury in comparison. Proper shops, clean, and 10 mins to wonderful countryside for hiking. She has a few Indo friends but doesn't get too close..Asians are always looking for a problem. She loves European food and cooks Asian food. The winter was a novelty that soon wore off and money is tight but coming here was right, so many choices.
FTFY :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic