ahhh Cambodians

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: ahhh Cambodians

Post by phuketrichard »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:27 am
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:23 am
wifes 12 year old nephew was on his way to Soccer practice on the main kep road on mom's 2020 honda dream.
That sucks.

I know we don't need a license to ride the smaller 125cc motorbikes any longer, but is there a legal age you're allowed to ride them on the streets, or does anything go now?
Kep, as i am sure most places except PP and SR, police dont do shit about anything
not unusual to see 10 year olds on bikes with their younger brother and / or sister on the back
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

That sucks and even more when you realize nothing can be done about it, and the pricks know it as well.
I had a phone stolen walking between crab market and beach by pricks on a bike, was advised by people $20 should get the cops looking, I thought I've lost my phone don't want to loose $20 on top.
The boy with be shaken up for awhile hard to get over something like.
As for Captain dickheads comment what a goose.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

If I owned a bike and kids rode around on it, I would seriously think of having a GPS fitted to it.
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

Damn!!!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:43 am
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:23 am "just the facts, Mam"

2 days ago
wifes 12 year old nephew was on his way to Soccer practice on the main kep road on mom's 2020 honda dream.
3 teenagers pulled up in front of him an stopped him, one got off his bike to ask directions while the other went behind him, struck him on the back of his head knocking him down while the other got on the bike and away they went>
20 seconds...

Police told them, not much they can do....
Rickie .... Surprise us one day with a positive story of Cambodians or the country you now call home ... Or is that reserved for Thailand only ?
Not a fair comment that. I do not see Richard complaining much and his account above seems like matter-of-fact reporting, nothing else.

Richar, I hope your nephew is OK.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:27 am
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:23 am
That sucks.

I know we don't need a license to ride the smaller 125cc motorbikes any longer, but is there a legal age you're allowed to ride them on the streets, or does anything go now?
There isn't any specific age for motorbikes. You just have to be big enough. I tried stalling my son for years but now he rides one and he's only 14.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I make myself a little unpopular at times with western thinking and opinions among our circles, but I do try to enforce some rules, and over time have managed to get some ‘western’ thinking adopted. Like food hygiene, some basic road awareness. The risk assessments that you and I likely started learning as very young children, being taught how to cross a road safely. Stuff that seems alien in Cambodia, at times.

It does surprise me a little that someone can be caught off guard in a country where these types of crime are nearly commonplace. The overly trusting Khmer attitude?

Bike aside, the lad had a bang on the head. How badly? Head injuries are not to be taken lightly. A medical thought process that also fails often in Cambodia.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:49 pm I make myself a little unpopular at times with western thinking and opinions among our circles, but I do try to enforce some rules, and over time have managed to get some ‘western’ thinking adopted. Like food hygiene, some basic road awareness. The risk assessments that you and I likely started learning as very young children, being taught how to cross a road safely. Stuff that seems alien in Cambodia, at times.
Likewise, I sometimes get some flak for occasional protests about various safety, food and health issues among friends and colleagues in VN. In some ways, I admire the "ignorance is bliss" perspective, but in many other ways I don't.
It does surprise me a little that someone can be caught off guard in a country where these types of crime are nearly commonplace. The overly trusting Khmer attitude?
Even a 12 year old? I suppose it's never too early to teach kids to be wary...

In any case, I hope the kid is ok and a shame (but not surprised) about the inaction of the local police.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

How does one teach a 12 year old ( who knows everything) to not stop when 3 teenagers on a bike pull up in front of him blocking his way?

he's doing ok, its not the bump on his head, its the psychological reminder of what happened, i wanted them to take him to the hospital but typical Khmer, "no is is ok"
this is 3 weeks after he had a accident> I have repeatedly told his parents ( swiss/khmer dad, khmer mom) he should NOT be ridding a bike but.....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

It's not commonplace and it's surprising the cops didn't take action

Any chance the 12 year old is complicit in this theft?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic