A Short Holiday to Paris

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: A Short Holiday to Paris

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:42 pm got addicted to fries with mayo when i spent lots of time in Amsterdam>
now cant eat them without :-)

or a nice thick gravy
Bruge, Belgium is the place for fries with the mayo.
French fries! Can't beat the British chip.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:18 am
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:42 pm got addicted to fries with mayo when i spent lots of time in Amsterdam>

or a nice thick gravy
None of this twice/thrice French fried, drowned in mayonnaise, foreign bollocks for me.
Chips should be cut from King Edward potatoes, fried (once) in lard, liberally coated with salt and vinegar (only) and eaten with your fingers.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:22 am Mr @yong hopefully have a catch up with you soon brother!
Looking forward buddy
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:04 am

or a nice thick gravy
None of this twice/thrice French fried, drowned in mayonnaise, foreign bollocks for me.
Chips should be cut from King Edward potatoes, fried (once) in lard, liberally coated with salt and vinegar (only) and eaten with your fingers out of a chop shop paper cone
FTFY
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:52 am

or a nice thick gravy
Chips should be cut from King Edward potatoes, fried (once) in lard, liberally coated with salt and vinegar (only) and eaten with your fingers out of a chop shop paper cone
FTFY
Real old school and they’d be eaten out of newspaper (proper yesterday’s newspaper, not sterile faux newspaper) the ink on your finger’s enhancing the flavour, and if you were fortunate enough to be eating them at the beach, a little sand on them for that added crunch.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:04 pm

or a nice thick gravy
FTFY
Real old school and they’d be eaten out of newspaper (proper yesterday’s newspaper, not sterile faux newspaper) the ink on your finger’s enhancing the flavour, and if you were fortunate enough to be eating them at the beach, a little sand on them for that added crunch.
I'm either too young or born in the wrongs parts to remember actual newspaper.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:59 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:04 pm
FTFY
I'm either too young or born in the wrongs parts to remember actual newspaper.
You don’t know you’re born 😉
When I was a nipper, we could take a bundle of newspapers to our favorite chip shop (there was 5 or 6 within a ten minute walk from our house) and the old couple who owned it (they were probably in their late thirties😂) would give us a bag of chips in return. Happy days.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It was that of an icon, a labor of love you could possibly call for some fish & chip shop owners, and there is plenty to be said and talked about on the food that would have given nutrition, subsidence, to it’s customer who would have carried their hot meal home, wrapped in yesterday’s newspaper.
I come from the north of the UK, actually Yorkshire, where at the time the largest industry was working cotton and wool mill's in the area, farming, coal mining.
The triangle of the famous veg/fruit apparently still exist, grown by only candle light that specialty of a pink color dessert ,love it or loath it, when I was a nipper has you refer to the young kid, the rawness had a bitter taste, has the pudding sat on the dinner table, now sweet in a covering of custard. Then again at the time the dish of desert was a little bit of our labors, and fun like collecting fruit in season, blackberry bushes would be most welcome. The dinner table may have seen hard times, Sunday dinner if lucky would be now served first with a flat Yorkshire pudding and gravy, the poor man’s pudding, (I still make them here in the land of Wonder), then the meat and vegetables would follow, but now being in a small amount to normal, because the idea was that flat pudding would fill you, recessional time’s you may have well called out, looking back the industry’s had hell of a knock! There’s trouble at the pit, never forget how the mounted police with battens would charge at their crowd of countryman. What of the mill’s, they were closing one by one (most apartment’s nowadays), the industry’s work would actually go to the countries of the thousands of immigrants who have worked in the mill’s here, getting there final wage packet, the, mostly Pakistani workers would now set up their own community’s in large areas. Time for restaurant’s and takeaway “curries” can’t be a bad thing.
Back to our humble fish & chip shop, it took some knocks, first the fishing industry. Cod, haddock, fishcakes and parsley cake’s, chips small and large, mushy peas gravy or the traditional curry sauce with the few currents to give it the little sweet taste, pickled onions, never seen them has big. Don’t forget the salt and vinegar before the final wrap of yesterday’s news.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic