A Short Holiday to Paris

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: A Short Holiday to Paris

Post by yong »

Lunch was at a restaurant close to the hotel and its really good I must say - Bistrot Rougemont

Fantastic escargot - staff told me only serve escargot for dinner but I insisted so he obliged

Beef was also very good

But why the French don't make good French fries? Fries looked rather sad no? 😂

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Had very late dinner at 9pm last night. Took a long walked

Narrow lane towards the restaurant

The restaurant on the right

Frenchie the restaurant

A very nice red, I remembered I had this a few times before when I visited Rhone

Tarte tomatoes and mozzarella

Main course - black pig pan fried

Super tender pork

Nice walk back to the hotel
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Taking the Paris Metro

Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

yong wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:32 pm Fries looked rather sad no? 😂
It's fried sticks of potatoes, hence crunchy and yellow. What did you expect ?
Served by albinos mariachis on pink rollerskates holding bengal lights while the cashier plays her best boogie-woogies at the piano ?
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

These are indeed real french fries: made by french in one time and with (olive)-oil.
The real stuff you only find in Belgium, made by belgians (or chinese, yes i am not joking), prepared in 2 times, and no with oil, but in fat. Thats the only way to have the real-ones. Very often the error starts buying the wrong potatoes, belgians are low on sugar (becuase not so much sun), and thats why you can make them really crispy. I tried to make real belgian fries from spanish potatoes, its just impossible, because to much sun and to much sugar inside, they will burn. I used to bring truckloads of belgian potatoes from belgium to spain for the belgian restaurants, and asked them why they didnt buy spanish cheaper-ones, thats how they explained me. In early season i used to load spanish potatoes to belgium, but all to the crisp factories from Croky/Lays, low quality and cheap, especially made for the UK-marked !! Sorry dock, i am not joking !!
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:56 pm These are indeed real french fries: made by french in one time and with (olive)-oil.
The real stuff you only find in Belgium, made by belgians (or chinese, yes i am not joking), prepared in 2 times, and no with oil, but in fat.
Fries in olive oil ? Never seen that here. Maybe Spain ?
And fries in beef's fat is how we make them in the north, now available a bit everywhere, especially since the burger fashion booming.

Look, nobody wants another bloody war, but just take note that my finger is on the nuking device before even think that Belgium knows better about fries.

Beer, fair enough.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:52 am
Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:56 pm These are indeed real french fries: made by french in one time and with (olive)-oil.
The real stuff you only find in Belgium, made by belgians (or chinese, yes i am not joking), prepared in 2 times, and no with oil, but in fat.
And fries in beef's fat is how we make them in the north, now available a bit everywhere, especially since the burger fashion booming.

Look, nobody wants another bloody war, but just take note that my finger is on the nuking device before even think that Belgium knows better about fries.

Beer, fair enough.
Duck fat is very popular for best results french fries.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

yong wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:22 pm Someone recommended a bakery in Paris "Maison Passos" for its quiche so I had my breakfast there yesterday

My ham and cheese and potatoes quiche

Actually its my first time having quiche, I kindda like it

After the quiche I had another coffee and a croissant

I've put on half a kilo just watching this video...
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:52 am

Beer, fair enough.
HAHA, ofcourse, what you call teh north (of france), is stil for us (belgians), the south of europe, but i know in your north its not as bad as in the south of france, hahaha. In Spain its very ccommun to prepare them in olive oil, the problem is the temperature, beef-fat is at about 175°c to make the fries crispy (the second fry), and most oils cant support that temperature, thats why they get fat and ot crispy. There was a belgian resataurant on 5th street between 110 and 118 (its now a girlie-bar), called LA PATATE, Didier was his name, he knew how to prepare them perfectly? But he went back to Belgium couple of years ago, has now a asian shop with his Thai wive in the south of belgium !! SJOOKAMMOOII
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Right, i've been to La Patate back then, and i was good fries indeed.
Never tried with duck fat, should be delicious. I wonder how delicious it could be with some lamb fat, my favorite meat ?
Thanks for the fat / oil temperature bit, interesting. One more clue that i should buy a cooking thermometer, i need that for other recipes too.

Yong, i guess you'll have to go to Belgium to sort out things between reputation and reality, beer and fries, and god knows what else. Take it as a case's study, for mankind's knowledge and arbitrage benefit.
Please report soon !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic