New Flyover Bridges for Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

New Flyover Bridges for Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On August 22, 2022, it was announced that two new flyover bridges will be built at the intersection of Samdech Techo HE Blvd., Monivong Blvd., and St. 271, and the intersection of Century Plaza Traffic Stop, Russian Federation Bvd., St. 2004, and St. 2011.
ImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New Flyover Bridges for Phnom Penh

Post by orussey98 »

Won't change much, it's bridges than this city needs
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

More belt road dept I suspect
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Not really a realistic representation of how their concept would work in reality.

The vehicles depicted are following the lanes, for a start. Everyone knows the quickest way around a roundabout is to cross the lanes randomly, irrespective of the intended direction of the other vehicles around you.
The bigger the pick-up, and higher ranking you are, the greater the moving chicane.
The roads illustrated do not appear to have speed bumps installed. Much trust seems to be placed in lane discipline, and respect for the rules of right of way.
The 4 lane highway makes no allowance for Tuk-Tuks to be following the white lines, travelling in the wrong direction, clogging the junctions, or queue jumping. Or vehicles making unexpected turns across across all lanes in the carriageway.

I see no provision, either, for the mobile phone wielding meth’d out driver to move between the different layers of the cake at the last minute. Except maybe gravity.

On the upside, there does seem to be some provision for extensive lane separators. In this brave new all-inclusive world, the Chinese won’t be left out.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

orussey98 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:00 am Won't change much, it's bridges than this city needs

So do you agree with the building of a new bridge from the Night Market across the Tonlie and Mekong ? This will bring more traffic into a city centre that is all ready over crowded and more traffic jams as vehicles head to the city centre to get onto the bridge.
Build a bridge outside of the city centre,, yes.
I hope our Prime Minister makes a decision to cancel this stupid plan.
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:21 am
So do you agree with the building of a new bridge from the Night Market across the Tonlie and Mekong ? This will bring more traffic into a city centre that is all ready over crowded and more traffic jams as vehicles head to the city centre to get onto the bridge.
Build a bridge outside of the city centre,, yes.
I hope our Prime Minister makes a decision to cancel this stupid plan.
Yes it's a great thing to do

for now everything is West to river, most of the population live west of the rivers, workers come from west of 271 to city center, south to city center
With the new bridge to chroy changvar and areyksat it will encourage companies to settle on chroy changvar and people to live on chroy changvar and areyksat. (ofc real estate west of 271 will take a blow)

+ the bridge Koh Pich/Koh Norea will "free" norodom blvd from independance monument to monivong bridge
Koh pich won't be a dead end anymore and might interest some companies to settle there
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Tend to agree, more bridges across to Chroy Changvar & Areyksat would make the most sense - I actually find Riverside not too bad even during peak hours, when compared to the west side of the city; 271 is usually a total disaster zone in rush hour. Likewise both current bridges are jammed solid, so there is clearly demand to get more traffic over the other side of the river. I'm amazed frankly since the destruction of Maxine's (Snows) that nothing has really gone up on the other riverbank aside from the Sokha Hotel. Expansion east of just about everything from bars, restaurants & hotels seems inevitable. Heck I'm off to buy some real estate over there, sold it to myself!
:D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

You guys are dreaming. The issue with thinking more bridges will solve anything is that it won't attract companies to move there, but rather just housing developments as the average person can't afford a house in the city anymore. The result will only be more traffic.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
mossie
Expatriate
Finland

Post by mossie »

Chinese drivers are going to have a blast!
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Hmm not sure, I agree most of the "big" businesses here wouldn't move there, I was thinking merely a bit of a riverside vibe like we have this side currently + residential as you mention. If the prices are comensurate with the Sen Sok/Chom Chao/Porsenchy type areas, then perhaps some folks would migrate over that way, so you could shift some of the population from West to East & thus reduce traffic on Russian Blvd, 271, etc. But I think most of the developments there now are going to be condos/high rise with "majestic" views and equally "majestic" prices - net result, same same, but same!
:D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic