One-way Airline tickets

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

One-way Airline tickets

Post by Doc67 »

A friend of mine just returned from London via Bangkok with Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways and came very close to be denied boarding in both London and in Bangkok (when getting though Bangkok Airways gate.)

He bought a one-way ticket from London as the price of a return is so high at the moment and he also has a voucher with Thai Airlines for a PP to London flight that he will use next year.

He had an expired ER visa and although that should not really matter, because of VOA, it was something that concerned them.

He has been coming here for nearly 10 years and lives here for 10 months of the year, and his passport reflects that. None of this impressed Thai Airways and after much arguing and a supervisor being called, they asked him, "do you have sufficient funds to buy a return ticket?", to which he replied "yes". At that point they checked him in.

A similar problem occurred in Bangkok but as he was already checked in, his bags were somewhere in the system and they were only on the hook for a 1 hour return flight, they were slightly easier to deal with. However, they still picked up on the one-way ticket.

I was thinking about this because I returned with Thai a month ago, on the return leg of a return ticket, which is effectively a one way ticket. Nobody asked me if I had funds for onward travel. I am concerned because I am planning some travel next year which will involve a few one-way tickets.

So why did they make such a big fuss with my friend? Do all airlines get nervous with one-way flights and possible immigration refusals?

As airfares are so high at the moment, with a lack of flights and fuel costs all helping to drive up the prices, many people who spend a lot of time here could be tempted to buy a one-way ticket and hope that prices will be better next year.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Re: One-way Airline tickets

Post by Ozinasia »

Philippines very strict on a ticket out and coming from Philippines into Cambodia same no ticket out they wont let you on Board for $12.00 pays to get a onward ticket https://bestonwardticket.com/ many other site same offering this service No idea why travel agents don't offer the same .
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I started having these problems around 8-9 years ago when returning from various parts of the world to Cambodia. Unbelievable how airport check in staff will only believe what is on the computer in front of them. My sticking point with them was the VOA even after I showed them a passport or two full of one-month visas that I entered on throughout the years. I started getting one-year visas at that point because the last time it happened, I had to have the supervisor brought in twice and I barely won the argument.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I'm not sure why a visa matters. All visas are granted subject to various conditions and one such requirement might be an onward ticket.

This is especially a problem with a country like Cambodia that can (and do) change the rules on a whim and don't tell anyone or arbitrarily apply them or just make them up as they go along.

I can see why airlines err on the side of caution.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:53 pm A friend of mine just returned from London via Bangkok with Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways and came very close to be denied boarding in both London and in Bangkok (when getting though Bangkok Airways gate.)

He bought a one-way ticket from London as the price of a return is so high at the moment and he also has a voucher with Thai Airlines for a PP to London flight that he will use next year.

He had an expired ER visa and although that should not really matter, because of VOA, it was something that concerned them.

He has been coming here for nearly 10 years and lives here for 10 months of the year, and his passport reflects that. None of this impressed Thai Airways and after much arguing and a supervisor being called, they asked him, "do you have sufficient funds to buy a return ticket?", to which he replied "yes". At that point they checked him in.

A similar problem occurred in Bangkok but as he was already checked in, his bags were somewhere in the system and they were only on the hook for a 1 hour return flight, they were slightly easier to deal with. However, they still picked up on the one-way ticket.

I was thinking about this because I returned with Thai a month ago, on the return leg of a return ticket, which is effectively a one way ticket. Nobody asked me if I had funds for onward travel. I am concerned because I am planning some travel next year which will involve a few one-way tickets.

So why did they make such a big fuss with my friend? Do all airlines get nervous with one-way flights and possible immigration refusals?

As airfares are so high at the moment, with a lack of flights and fuel costs all helping to drive up the prices, many people who spend a lot of time here could be tempted to buy a one-way ticket and hope that prices will be better next year.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
What was the visa status of your friend at the time of travel?
I can understand an airline being cautious regarding a tourist being denied entry by immigration control, but surely, if a persons passport contains a current 12 month visa/extension of stay (residency) in Cambodia, it should be proof enough that entry into the country will be a formality?
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Not going to Cambodia, but I've had that going elsewhere in Asia before and I've known people who had to buy a ticket they'll never use to be able to get on the flight.

What I was told at the time is that some countries always have that requirement, others may bring it in temporarily, or give travelers a hard time on arrival because they had a spate of people showing up in their country recently and becoming a nuisance when they couldn't support themselves for whatever reasons. Airlines at the country of origin might not know much about the situation other than that destination X is being a bit of a pain at the moment so they're told to ask a few more questions of anyone going there.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

What frequently happens is that some staff apply rules, regulations and advice to all destinations, that are appropriate to just a few. Sheer laziness in their system. This is frequently the result of checkin staff working for another 3rd party provider, and providing checkin service to several airlines, rather than the airline having its own dedicated staff. If that’s the issue, it should be easily resolved by getting the airline’s checkin supervisor involved. There usually is one.
I’ve had similar, where my flight to Cambodia was the return portion of a return ticket, Originating in Cambodia. That really confused them for a while.

The really annoying part purely from a customer service point of view, is their willingness and ability to sell you something that they may then not allow you use. I’m particularly obstinate, these days, and let airlines tie themselves up in knots and take up all their available supervisors to resolve a problem that doesn’t actually exist.

I’m in Turkey at present. At checkin in Phnom Penh I was given some clear instructions about what to do when transiting Istanbul. But this information by the Khmer staff at Phnom Penh was only relevant for a few non- customs airports in Turkey. It caused quite a lot of confusion and uncertainty about where my bags were actually going to end up. The baggage ticket clearly stated my final destination, while the staff in Phnom Penh were adamant that I would have to collect my bags and clear customs before checking in again. Their misread, or outdated information.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

one way costs

One way tickets to Europe-Asia are VERY rarely a good deal compared to return fares. I have even seen cases where the one way cost more than the return fare. Basically any airlines has an interest to sell you return tickets for more turnover and filling the airplane to full load capacity on ALL legs of a flight. Booking a one way gives the traveller more options in chosing the return leg and options usually have a cost. On the airlines side a double booking (for 2 single legs) has a cost impact and exposes the company to an empty return leg risk. A return bokking allows for better planning of capacity to use company assets, results in a better cash in hand . Hence the airlines are willing to discount if you book both legs.

denied boarding on one way tickets

If any airline brings in a person without the necessary immigration requirements they are forced to bring the person back to departure country and may pay a hefty fine too (the airlines pay). For a few dollars you can easily avoid beeing hasssled at departure or at immigration at destination by buying an onwardticket you will probably never use.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Pe-fuel price increases, I’d agree with you to some extent. Not so much, now.

Airlines make little allowance for commuting passengers, yet they themselves rely on that very principal fairly frequently.

Charter airlines and routes, the customers are pretty well defined, with reasonably defined times. Holidays last only so long.

Scheduled airlines are a somewhat different kettle of fish. Or should be. In North America, from a limited few years experience inside the industry there, this is better managed. Even southwest cater for business traffic- but at a cost effective budget level.

I commute. Home is Phnom Penh/Krakor. I frequently have no idea when the next/return travel date is. All too often, I’m travelling back home from a different country that a return ticket can’t accommodate.
I’ve lost several return portions over the years due to last minute changes.

The premium in pricing to allow full flexibility is often simply not warranted. Change fees can easily wipe out much of any savings made by booking a return ticket.

Sadly, I can’t see any airline changing its policy, though. People keep paying. Although, some airlines were seeing some change in traffic pre-covid.

And then, there are some airlines that do accommodate a more flexible travel requirement.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:28 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:53 pm

He has been coming here for nearly 10 years and lives here for 10 months of the year, and his passport reflects that. None of this impressed Thai Airways

What was the visa status of your friend at the time of travel?
I can understand an airline being cautious regarding a tourist being denied entry by immigration control, but surely, if a persons passport contains a current 12 month visa/extension of stay (residency) in Cambodia, it should be proof enough that entry into the country will be a formality?
An expired 12 month ER visa with a slew of similar previous visas and entry stamps.

His last visa expired at the end of July. The amount of previous visas did not impress them but the lack of a current one did seem to trouble them. But this make no sense as you can get one on arrival long before you get to immigration. The fact that Cambodian Immigration never asks for onward flight from UK passport holders in clearly unknown to the check in staff.

I think Freightdog has nailed it; the staff are not dedicated airline staff (they fired them all) and they are using whoever the airport supply and these people just don't know the rules until an actual airline employed rep looks at the situation. And that is probably why it took me 2 hours to check in for my flight back here in July.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic