Electric bike maintenance/modifications

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kangaruchi
Expatriate
Australia

Electric bike maintenance/modifications

Post by Kangaruchi »

I bought an electric bike in Thailand in 2004, & it's been sitting there since, as it's a great looking bike I'm thinking about shipping it here.
Obviously after being stored for so long, & developments in battery technology, the battery will need replacing, if possible also increase power of the motor, & a general service.
Does anyone know a reputable place to get advice on whether it would be cost effective to undertake the project??
Cheers
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Electric bike maintenance/modifications

Post by SlowJoe »

You can't increase the motor output without replacing the controller as well. You can "overclock" motors but they tend to cook themselves very quickly if you do.

As for the batteries it depends on what kind. If it's a lead acid pack there are computer shops (in Phnom Penh) that have UPS batteries that will likely work and they're easy to install. For Li-Ion batteries I've yet to find someone who can build a pack (with proper bus bars and a post welder), but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Truth be told though, unless you're attached to the bike it's likely easier just to buy a new one or build a new one.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

@Kangaruchi : Bicycle or scooter? For the latter one I could help for sure with parts and tuning (range or speed). I don't hide, that I am employed at Oyika, but I do the repairs, modifications and supply of parts privately. Only if you want to convert your ride to the Oyika swap-system, this would happen officially with the company...
@SlowJoe : We have a simple spot welding machine for our battery packs, but I lack experience with it. If you want to try by yourself, you are welcome
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

ressl wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:39 pm @Kangaruchi : Bicycle or scooter? For the latter one I could help for sure with parts and tuning (range or speed). I don't hide, that I am employed at Oyika, but I do the repairs, modifications and supply of parts privately. Only if you want to convert your ride to the Oyika swap-system, this would happen officially with the company...
@SlowJoe : We have a simple spot welding machine for our battery packs, but I lack experience with it. If you want to try by yourself, you are welcome
That's interesting to note. It's been years since I built a pack with cylindrical cells though, so I don't feel any more confidence or experienced at the moment that you probably are.

I've been working on a few electric vehicles in Kampot, I might message you in the near future about parts, etc. The last trike that came in already has issues and it only has 15 km on the odometer. I'm hoping to be able to service stuff down here because the sellers don't seem to have much (anything) in the way of spare parts, not even tires.
Kangaruchi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kangaruchi »

Thank you for the feedback, it's a bike which looks a bit like a very skinny Vespa (tried to load photo but couldn't, never seem to be able to load photos here) to give you a bit of an idea, mag wheels, disc front brake, steering lock and alarm, looked pretty cool back then but lacked any real range & top speed around 20kph.
Did a quick look on Aliexpress, can get 20" mag wheels front and rear both driven with full wiring loom for around $550, & battery for around the same price, so for around $1,100 - 1,200 should be able to sort it?? Maybe
A decent new electric bike, looked a bit like mountain bikes, electric motors both wheels & decent battery was around $2,700.
So there the options.
I'm going to Thailand soon so I'll drag the bike out and try to figure out what to do.
Again thx for the feedback, much appreciated, I at least now know who I can call on for help if needed. Cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic