Incarcerated Cambodian refugee Phoeun You deported, fails to get pardon

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Incarcerated Cambodian refugee Phoeun You deported, fails to get pardon

Post by phuketrichard »

Bad luck;
OAKLAND – A reformed convicted murderer with plans to live in Oakland was deported to Cambodia on Tuesday, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials confirmed Thursday.
Federal officials said You was convicted of first-degree murder in Los Angeles County in 1996 and sentenced to 35 years to life. You was a member of the Asian Boyz gang, according to ICE.

But You's supporters said he reformed his life. Supporters said he is a founding member of the restorative justice program Restoring Our Original True Selves, a certified counselor with Bay Area Women Against Rape, and a mentor to other incarcerated refugees from Asia.

"It's very sad that Governor Newsom could have done more to intervene but chose not to," said James Bunyou, You's oldest brother. "He isn't listening to our community outcry. Our family would like to thank all of the friends that came out to support him and fight for Phoeun to stay."
https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/ne ... om-newsom/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Incarcerated Cambodian refugee Phoeun You deported, fails to get pardon

Post by wolfcreek »

A sad story, but he could have avoided the deportation if he had applied for US citizenship earlier, as hundreds (thousands?) of other Cambodian refugees in the US have done.
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrBen87 »

Maybe he´d have had a better chance if he hadn´t murdered someone .

I have no sympathy or pity for the guy .
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

MrBen87 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:27 am Maybe he´d have had a better chance if he hadn´t murdered someone .

so no second chance? Dont ya feel he paid for his crime with 25 years of his life?
once bad, always bad?

must suck being you
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

wolfcreek wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:10 am A sad story, but he could have avoided the deportation if he had applied for US citizenship earlier, as hundreds (thousands?) of other Cambodian refugees in the US have done.
If I understand correctly, they all come to the states as infants/toddlers and their families aren't savvy enough to navigate the system.
Not all but many. The law is the law but it isn't as easy as you suggest.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:33 am
MrBen87 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:27 am Maybe he´d have had a better chance if he hadn´t murdered someone .

so no second chance? Dont ya feel he paid for his crime with 25 years of his life?
once bad, always bad?

must suck being you
Have you sent him a note telling him your sentiments ? Maybe offer him a room at your house ....
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

once bad, always bad?

must suck being you
The dude was convicted of 1st degree murder, not stealing a candy bar. And that's the bad kind of murder. 'First degree murder is the intentional killing of another person by someone who has acted willfully, deliberately, or with planning.' I could understand wanting to give him a second chance if it was the 'oops, I had a bad day second degree murder,' You is a murderous gang member.

I'm actually shocked Newsom didn't beg You to stay, they love protecting and attracting violent criminals in California. OK, maybe you're right, people are heartless who wouldn't give this actual gang banger who intentionally killed someone another chance to live in their community. Maybe first-time murderers should just be forced by the court to write 'sorry' notes to the victims' families and sign an agreement to be on their best behavior going forward.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wow, a good Christian you are
where's all the hate coming from?
you really dont believe a person can change?

He killed someone when he shot into a crowd
" In 1995, when You was 20, he fired into a crowd, killing a 17-year-old boy."
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:22 am wow, a good Christian you are
where's all the hate coming from?
you really dont believe a person can change?

He killed someone when he shot into a crowd
" In 1995, when You was 20, he fired into a crowd, killing a 17-year-old boy."

So it’s not like he even knew the guy he killed .... just indiscriminately fired a gun into a crowd .... sounds like a fine young man ..... being the good Christian you are I’m sure he’ll benefit from your mentoring .... when does he arrive in Kep ?

On a side note .... if you hurt your back with all the shoveling digging that hole for yourself, I saw there’s a new physio therapist in Kampot ... just sayin’
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

once bad, always bad?

must suck being you
The killer got his second chance, doesn’t mean he should also get sympathy.
You weren’t very sympathetic to MrBen87, and all he did was have a different opinion than you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic