Incarcerated Cambodian refugee Phoeun You deported, fails to get pardon

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Incarcerated Cambodian refugee Phoeun You deported, fails to get pardon

Post by Doc67 »

He was in prison for murder, and now he has his freedom in Cambodia. Plenty of lifers in US prisons who would swap places in a heartbeat, so what's he moaning about?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:28 pm He was in prison for murder, and now he has his freedom in Cambodia. Plenty of lifers in US prisons who would swap places in a heartbeat, so what's he moaning about?
He WAS NOT in prison, he was paroled, so a free man BUT>>>> cause his parents never got the paperwork done, he never got his citizenship which would have meant he would now be a free man in CA>
so
deported to Cambodia..
where he has not been since he was 1 year old

'Let He Who Is Without Sin Cast the First Stone'

I feel very bad someone died, ( and to be paroled, he also admitted his sin and accepted responsibility for his actions) but can one not change their life?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:05 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:28 pm He was in prison for murder, and now he has his freedom in Cambodia. Plenty of lifers in US prisons who would swap places in a heartbeat, so what's he moaning about?
He WAS NOT in prison, he was paroled, so a free man BUT>>>> cause his parents never got the paperwork done, he never got his citizenship which would have meant he would now be a free man in CA>
so
deported to Cambodia..
where he has not been since he was 1 year old

'Let He Who Is Without Sin Cast the First Stone'

I feel very bad someone died, ( and to be paroled, he also admitted his sin and accepted responsibility for his actions) but can one not change their life?
Federal officials said You was convicted of first-degree murder in Los Angeles County in 1996 and sentenced to 35 years to life. You was a member of the Asian Boyz gang, according to ICE.

He's lucky. Do the math.

I know only a certifiable lunatic would willingly choose to live in Cambodia as opposed to California but firing into a crowd of youths goes a long way towards that qualification.

I blame the parents...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:31 pm
I know only a certifiable lunatic would willingly choose to live in Cambodia as opposed to California.....
Sure, California is paradise...

Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

First:
very few people in America actually serve their full sentences

California is a homeless "living on the street" center nowadays
San Francisco is a mess
BUT
IF he had been released in sf
In 1989, San Francisco passed the "City and County of Refuge" Ordinance (also known as the Sanctuary Ordinance). The Sanctuary Ordinance generally prohibits City employees from using City funds or resources to assist Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in the enforcement of Federal immigration law unless such assistance is required by federal or state law.

In 2013, San Francisco passed the “Due Process for All” Ordinance. This ordinance limits when City law enforcement officers may give ICE advance notice of a person’s release from local jail. It also prohibits cooperation with ICE detainer requests, sometimes referred to as “ICE holds.”
https://sf.gov/information/sanctuary-city-ordinance
.... On his release date, however, California's prison system contacted ICE to detain and deport him.
so if he been in prison in SF, the system would have broken the law
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

Welcome home to your ROOTS Phoeun! Certified crisis counselor, native speaker of English, both are in demand here.
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

Number 5 is pretty important.
You're making the assumption Richard that he turned over a new leaf maybe he just did all those courses to manipulate the parole system. He probably pretended to be a Christian as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Gary Small wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:41 pm Number 5 is pretty important.
You're making the assumption Richard that he turned over a new leaf maybe he just did all those courses to manipulate the parole system. He probably pretended to be a Christian as well.
God seems to have self-esteem and jealously issues.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Most of the commandments refer to him specifically, by name.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:21 pm Written script of the interview with Phoeun You: https://therealnews.com/after-26-years- ... im-instead
Phoeun You: When we came, it was 1980. We ended up in Ogden, Utah. A Mormon family took us in. We stayed with them for, I don’t know, maybe less than a year, maybe a year or so to get on our feet. Then we continued to stay in Utah for maybe two to three more years. And then that was it.

I mean, things for my family, it’s like they wanted to feel closer to people who are like them. So we moved to California, Long Beach, California, where they saw a little bit more people who looked like them, and wanted to feel a little bit more connected to home as much as possible after leaving home. So we ended up in Long Beach, California.
All right... his family chose to move from a white, mormon, salt lake city suburb, to a gang infested neighborhood during the crack wars. All right...

... Then when I came back to California, my nephew was having some issues with people in school, with Hispanic kids. And he told me, hey man, I’m getting pushed around over there. And that triggered some stuff in me, because I went through the same issue when I was growing up.

I told him, hey, I could just go pick you up if you don’t feel safe. So I went to go pick him up one day from school, waited in the school parking lot for him to come home. He came with a friend, and we sat in the car briefly just to hang out a little bit.

And right when we were ready to leave, a car comes behind us and blocks our entrance from getting out. Hands were thrown up. When you say what’s up? in gang culture, it is a threat. So they got out of the car, about six, seven of those guys, and there were three of us. A melee happened, a fight, a riot in the parking lot happened.

Because we were outnumbered, I felt like we lost that fight. Left bruised and battered a little bit. Yeah, my pride was broken. I mean, here’s my opportunity to prove myself, to protect my nephew. At least save some face from what I was going through already. And instead, I allowed this to happen. I was humiliated and embarrassed that this happened. And some old wounds came back, because I grew up being pushed around myself, as an immigrant kid, being the few, being a smaller one.

After we got jumped, in my mind, I was like, man, we gotta get these dudes back. That was street code. We got to get them back. Dudes can’t just jump us. And the only way to redeem myself was to get them back. So what I wanted to do was redeem myself after we got jumped. I was like, we gotta get these guys, man. That’s just what I thought and what I believed at the time. If somebody messes with you, you get them back. That’s just the street code that I lived by.

And a couple days later, I got a gun and I said, man… Then I was also drinking and
I was going through my own personal stuff that I haven’t figured out yet. I asked my nephew, do you know who these guys are, man? Because I’m ready to hit them and get them back.

We drove around and looked for these guys. And eventually we pulled up to a group of kids, and one of the guys looked like one of the guys from the fight. So I ended up telling my nephew who was driving to pull over, or pull the [crosstalk]

Mansa Musa: Well, you don’t have to go into a lot of detail, but –

Phoeun You: Right, right.

Mansa Musa: Ultimately –

Phoeun You: Ultimately, I did a drive-by shooting. One person got murdered and four got injured.

Mansa Musa: Eventually you were arrested for this?

Phoeun You: Yeah, eventually, I mean, eight days later I was like, man, this is getting hot. I went on the run and I was picked up eight days later in Las Vegas, and I got sent back to California to fight my case. Then I’ve been arrested since this happened in ’95, and I spent the next 26 years incarcerated.
Best place for a naturally aggressive guy like this might be to work as a full time custodian, part time mitt holder at a boxing gym that caters to foreigners and locals.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic