Incarcerated Cambodian refugee Phoeun You deported, fails to get pardon

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Incarcerated Cambodian refugee Phoeun You deported, fails to get pardon

Post by Cooldude »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:22 am wow, a good Christian you are
where's all the hate coming from?
you really dont believe a person can change?

He killed someone when he shot into a crowd
" In 1995, when You was 20, he fired into a crowd, killing a 17-year-old boy."
Must suck being the family of the murdered 17 year old boy.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Wait, I'm the bad guy because I don't think it's unreasonable to deport someone who murdered a child? OK, I don't really have much to come back with on that, lol.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

General Mackevili wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:39 am

Wait, I'm the bad guy because I don't think it's unreasonable to deport someone who murdered a child? OK, I don't really have much to come back with on that, lol.
As much as I love disagreeing with deplorables, deportation seems like the right call here. First you have to be a citizen, then be rich, then you can break all the laws you want.
Pope2Pope
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pope2Pope »

Cooldude wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:37 am

Must suck being the family of the murdered 17 year old boy.
I was just about to comment the same, that family will live with that pain for the rest if their lives...he got off lightly in my opinion. Good on the USA for getting rid of scum like him..only feel bad for cambodia that now has to deal with scum like him. It might sound harsh but they should have put a bullet in his head...a burden on the usa tax payer and now a plight on cambodia
“The journey, not the arrival, matters.”
– T. S. Eliot
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

So when does the 17 year old he murdered get his second chance to continue living his life? Oh, that’s right he doesn’t. Forever. And his family and friends suffer his loss forever.

Meanwhile, this gangbanger gets a fresh start in the Kingdom of Wonder, same as all the other expats. He isn’t being sent straight to Prey Sar or a monastery to atone for his sins.

Sorry, these are my opinions.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

You's supporters said he reformed his life. Supporters said he is a founding member of the restorative justice program Restoring Our Original True Selves, a certified counselor with Bay Area Women Against Rape, and a mentor to other incarcerated refugees from Asia.

In August 2021, the California Board of Parole Hearings recommended You be released from state prison in recognition of his rehabilitation and service. On his release date, however, California's prison system contacted ICE to detain and deport him.

On Jan. 5, ICE took custody of You and later that month an immigration judge in Van Nuys, California, ordered You sent to Cambodia.

Twisted stuff here. This guy was sentenced to 35 years in a US prison for murder - ok - BUT "in recognition of his rehabilitation and service" he was released early - after 26 years instead of 35.
So, if he wasn't "rehabilitated", then he wouldn't have been deported to Cambodia for another 9 years.

Still, You, (his name is You, which is confusing), has a positive attitude, so maybe it will work out for the best - as he says -
"“I’m healthy, I’m really healthy, and part of me feels there could be a bigger picture out there for me in life; I want to choose to see it that way. Maybe I can’t see it right now, but maybe there will be something good there, and it’s going to work out.”

Well, all the best to You.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

This is not a question of merit - this is about a flaw in the law. When a child comes to USA with parents seeking refugee status - after some years that child should become a naturalized citizen regardless of whether they are deserving or not or whether the paperwork is done. Also it is easy to see children getting into trouble with scarred immigrant parents who may not have all the tools to guide them right in a new world.
Stay classy na
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Australia has a policy of deporting criminals after thier prison term that are non citizens also.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

by Mansa Musa November 21, 2022
Rattling the Bars: He was supposed to be out on parole, but ICE deported him to Cambodia

When Phoeun You’s family left Cambodia as refugees, he was only one year old. After spending a number of years in a refugee camp in Thailand, You’s family was resettled in the US. At the age of 20, You was convicted of murder and incarcerated in San Quentin. During his incarceration, You became a certified crisis counselor, and established ROOTS (Restoring Our Original True Selves)—a restorative justice program for Asian American and Pacific Islander prisoners. After 26 years behind bars and a remarkable personal transformation, the California Board of Parole Hearings recommended You for release in August 2021. On his release date, You was handed over to ICE.

Activists rallied to demand an urgent pardon from California Gov. Gavin Newsom which could have stopped You’s deportation, but to no avail. Calling in from Cambodia, Phoeun You joins Rattling the Bars to tell his story.

Written script of the interview with Phoeun You: https://therealnews.com/after-26-years- ... im-instead
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:21 pm by Mansa Musa November 21, 2022
Rattling the Bars: He was supposed to be out on parole, but ICE deported him to Cambodia

When Phoeun You’s family left Cambodia as refugees, he was only one year old. After spending a number of years in a refugee camp in Thailand, You’s family was resettled in the US. At the age of 20, You was convicted of murder and incarcerated in San Quentin. During his incarceration, You became a certified crisis counselor, and established ROOTS (Restoring Our Original True Selves)—a restorative justice program for Asian American and Pacific Islander prisoners. After 26 years behind bars and a remarkable personal transformation, the California Board of Parole Hearings recommended You for release in August 2021. On his release date, You was handed over to ICE.

Activists rallied to demand an urgent pardon from California Gov. Gavin Newsom which could have stopped You’s deportation, but to no avail. Calling in from Cambodia, Phoeun You joins Rattling the Bars to tell his story.

Written script of the interview with Phoeun You: https://therealnews.com/after-26-years- ... im-instead
Quit reading when I got to this sentence
Today we have Phoeun You here. He’s basically a political prisoner.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic