It happened; RIP AndyKK

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Re: It happened; RIP AndyKK

Post by CaptainCanuck »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:40 am
Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:55 am I know it's probably another stupid idea, but I think we should discuss wether a type of fund like a '' CEO Insurance '' scheme is set up where members can contribute a small amount monthly on a regular basis so that there is no need for someone to run around begging for donations whenever there is a emergency or accident. Mod's could probably have the rights to control the funds.
"contribute a small amount monthly on a regular basis so that there is no need for someone to run around begging for donations whenever there is a emergency or accident" ....sounds like a great idea. But, I think it's already been thought of and formalized - its called health insurance. This is the #1 lesson learned from this tragedy for all of us living here. RIP Andy.
Nice theory, not always reality in practice. A popular fellow here in Kampot, a diligent insurance buyer was just recently denied coverage for a very serious illness because of 'pre-existing conditions' .... Now before the usual harpies chime in ... No, I don't know all the nitty gritty details .... My point is, insurance companies are in the business of making profit, and are very good at it, not actually caring about the ill .... The more previous stuff you put down the higher your premiums, it's a crapshoot .... and a personal decision .... The habitual tendency here to criticize all and sundry for not having insurance and promote insurance as a panecea for all that might ail you is folly.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:40 am
Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:55 am I know it's probably another stupid idea, but I think we should discuss wether a type of fund like a '' CEO Insurance '' scheme is set up where members can contribute a small amount monthly on a regular basis so that there is no need for someone to run around begging for donations whenever there is a emergency or accident. Mod's could probably have the rights to control the funds.
"contribute a small amount monthly on a regular basis so that there is no need for someone to run around begging for donations whenever there is a emergency or accident" ....sounds like a great idea. But, I think it's already been thought of and formalized - its called health insurance. This is the #1 lesson learned from this tragedy for all of us living here. RIP Andy.

True, so very true, but there are many small things that are not covered or worth while putting in a claim for. I'm sure the cakes and other goodies that rozz donated are not covered by insurance, along with many other small things that are required in an emergency. Upfront $$ to ambulances and police would be another example where a accident victim cannot wait to put in a claim to an insurance company, we also have to assume that all accident victims are conscious and capable of making decisions for themselves.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

My take on all this is not have health insurance but to have access to your funds eg joint accounts or power of attorney but then you will need such person to be in the country.
Heath insurance is to much of a costly gamble especially when old.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

My take is to have health insurance, but only from a European or US company where there are regulations to ensure that the company cannot penalise you for making a claim, (your premium is exactly the same as everyone else in your age band, regardless of how many claims you make). Nor can they kick you out for claiming - you are covered for life. Of course, your premiums will increase as you go up the age bands, because the risk of you being ill increases.

Naturally, your initial premium will be higher than others if you have pre-existing conditions. The common-sense approach is to start your insurance policy before you have those medical conditions. That's not much comfort for those who have pre-existing conditions and are not yet insured. I know it sounds harsh, but you should have thought of that (taking out insurance) at a younger age when you were presumably healthy.

That's not to say that an 'expat' insurance policy is not without problems. I note in my policy that if I am medivaced back to my home country (UK), then my insurance policy cover will then cease, because it doesn't cover me in my home country. So I need to stay in south-east Asia until I pop my clogs...
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

atst wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:51 pm My take on all this is not have health insurance but to have access to your funds eg joint accounts or power of attorney but then you will need such person to be in the country.
Heath insurance is to much of a costly gamble especially when old.
As apposed to the costly gamble of relying on the kindness of strangers on a forum? Really? Chances are when claims get denied, I imagine it is because folks gild the lily on their insurance application form in order to keep the premiums low. Sure, there are horror stories about claims being unjustly denied, but still.

Reminds me of a book I read recently - Keith Cunningham talks about the 'Dumb Tax' - a tax we inevitably pay as a result of a poorly thought-through strategy. NOT having insurance is a bigger strategic risk than relying on strangers to carry the burden for you. In fact, it can cost you your life. Please folks, learn from this unfortunate situation. No I am not an insurance agent btw:) just someone who would like to have access to quality healthcare if and when I need it.

Mate broke an arm the other day in Thailand and needed surgery for a plate to be put in and he didn't get any change out of $15k. If a broken arm is $15k, just imagine what a bill for something serious would be.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:40 am "contribute a small amount monthly on a regular basis so that there is no need for someone to run around begging for donations whenever there is a emergency or accident" ....sounds like a great idea. But, I think it's already been thought of and formalized - its called health insurance.
CaptainCanuck wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:53 am Nice theory, not always reality in practice. A popular fellow here in Kampot, a diligent insurance buyer was just recently denied coverage for a very serious illness because of 'pre-existing conditions' .... Now before the usual harpies chime in ... No, I don't know all the nitty gritty details .... My point is, insurance companies are in the business of making profit, and are very good at it, not actually caring about the ill ....
You might both be right, or both be wrong.

I don't know if in Andy's complicated case health insurance would have made a difference.
I can easily reason how it might have led to a better outcome, but I also can reason the other way around proving it would have made no difference.
The difference is in the 'nitty gritty details' as @CaptainCanuck stated, and we don't know those details.

What I do know though is the concept of 'self insurance' some people rely on is basically 'self delusion' unless you have at least 50k in the bank and can access it within a short period of time, if some shit (requiring serious treatment or surgery) happens.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Has anyone got any direct experience with claiming on their expat insurance?
People of the world, spice up your life.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

mannanman wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:06 pm Has anyone got any direct experience with claiming on their expat insurance?
I do, approved and paid for except for the deductible.

Two different cases. One was a Dutch company offering one year contracts, they refused renewal after the claim, but paid the claim. Changed to another company, they can't refuse after a claim but are more expensive. They paid too.

These two claims were made in an 11 year period of time, 3 people insured.
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

Just found out that both Royal Phnom Penh and Calmette have changed procedure and will no longer bill direct to Blue Cross / Blue Shield in event of hospitalization. I have to pay and then get reimbursed from insurance carrier. I save and annually submit all of my wife's and my routine medical expense receipts and Blue Cross is very good about reimbursing everything above the $500 deductible.

Checked about switching to another carrier in case do have major hospitalization but Blue Cross (FEP Blue) is only insurance policy available to US overseas retirees

Royal PP and Calmette will charge hospitalization to credit card.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:09 pm
mannanman wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:06 pm Has anyone got any direct experience with claiming on their expat insurance?
I do, approved and paid for except for the deductible.

Two different cases. One was a Dutch company offering one year contracts, they refused renewal after the claim, but paid the claim. Changed to another company, they can't refuse after a claim but are more expensive. They paid too.

These two claims were made in an 11 year period of time, 3 people insured.
Is that it. Anyone else?

Judging by the comments I thought they’d be a plethora of experiences. Just my mate or I heard etc.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Locked Previous topicNext topic