It happened; RIP AndyKK

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: It could just happen

Post by Chad Sexington »

Very sad news.
I never met Andy in person, but he was certainly a prolific and interesting poster, he’ll be missed.

RIP Andy.
Kangaruchi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kangaruchi »

That is very sad news, RIP Andy you can now join Nak again.

The CEO crew will greatly miss your posts.

Condolences to his friends and family.

And a big shout out to Richard and Roz for all they did to help Andy
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:17 am
rozzieoz wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:02 am
Kammekor wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:48 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:37 am Anyone have contact for the uk embassy in PP
i've been calling since there opening at 9 am and nobody picks up the fucking phone t the number on their website
was able to contact via the emergency number the uk in london who took down all the info at 8 am our time
If I were you I would inform @Aimsley and leave it to her / them. I think they can get through to the embassy easier than you, plus, at the end of the day they have to decide what and when from now on I guess.
Easier said than done. Poor Usha is at the hospital still (and doesn't know what to do), the hospital want Andy out of there ASAP, Aimsley has no idea how things work here (and neither do I in this situation) and Richard is doing his best to help.
I understand everyone is doing their best to help, but sometimes that's counterproductive. I would think the hospital has dealt with a situation like this before, and so does the embassy. Aimsley has no idea how things here work but she has access to more than just the general phone number of the embassy in Phnom Penh. If I were Usha I would leave the hospital and either go home, or stay around in Phnom Penh in case family comes over.

Anyway, the embassy lists this number in case of a death:

Did you use those @phuketrichard?
nobody else is doing anything expect Usha and I
body is in the van heading to the storage facility at the hospital , usha has no idea what to do. Told her to leave

yes, at 8 am spoke with someone in in London<'
since than nobody answers the fucking phone in PP embassy, glad i'm not british
Aimsley has a contact in the uk at ... but again, she doesn't report till work till 9 am UK TIME
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:49 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:37 am Anyone have contact for the uk embassy in PP
i've been calling since there opening at 9 am and nobody picks up the fucking phone t the number on their website
was able to contact via the emergency number the uk in london who took down all the info at 8 am our time
If I were you I would inform @Aimsley and leave it to her / them. I think they can get through to the embassy easier than you, plus, at the end of the day they have to decide what and when from now on I guess.
Easier said than done. Poor Usha is at the hospital still (and doesn't know what to do), the hospital want Andy out of there ASAP, Aimsley has no idea how things work here (and neither do I in this situation) and Richard is doing his best to help.
I understand everyone is doing their best to help, but sometimes that's counterproductive. I would think the hospital has dealt with a situation like this before, and so does the embassy. Aimsley has no idea how things here work but she has access to more than just the general phone number of the embassy in Phnom Penh. If I were Usha I would leave the hospital and either go home, or stay around in Phnom Penh in case family comes over.

body is in the van heading to the storage facility at the hospital , usha has no idea what to do. Told her to leave

Aimsley has a contact in the uk at ... but again, she doesn't report till work till 9 am UK TIME
What needs to be done is decide should he be repatriated or go to the pagoda for the traditional ceremony.

Each day in storage costs, transport costs, possible cremation costs.

Let's figure out what the family wants and handle it from there. It's pretty streamlined when you pay.

Note; the traditional ceremony is quite beautiful...

R.I.P Andy.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:49 am

I realize it's very frustrating, but I think it's in the hands of the next of kin and the embassy now.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

My condolences to Andy's family and friends, RIP.
sammycooke
Expatriate
Canada

Post by sammycooke »

Richard. You've done so much (and Roz). It sounds like you need to look after your own mental health for a minute. Take some time to breathe. Sorry for the loss of your good friend. I'm sure he appreciated all you did and would want to see you celebrate his life rather than lose all it at this moment.
I don't know how I would handle this situation so I emphasize with you.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ok; reached them; its all been passed on to the embassy and Amy>

LOCK THIS THREAD!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Sad news, RIP Andy and my condolences to his family.
Aimsley
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Aimsley »

Very sorry for the late reply, I was informed around 3am and haven't been able to sleep since. I've contacted the embassy and they put me through the the one in PP, she basically said I need to go through Rose my contact of the embassy in the UK and she has been informed, will be ringing me when she's in to make arrangements for the funeral ect.

Thank you for your condolences.
Locked Previous topicNext topic