It happened; RIP AndyKK

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: It could just happen

Post by rozzieoz »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:47 pm There’s a risk that some of this may be unsettling.
I don't think he would survive the trip to the airport.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:51 pm
Freightdog wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:47 pm There’s a risk that some of this may be unsettling.
I don't think he would survive the trip to the airport.
seeing photos of him today, i agree
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Aimsley
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Aimsley »

I've been having updates from his helper Usha. Yesterday he was taken off the ventilator but was put straight back on after a few hours. This morning she has updated me that he now has the ventilator tube down his throat. I believe he's now unable to take oxygen on his own, unfortunately I don't fully understand Usha with the language block although she does try with her voice notes she sends and I am very grateful she is there to help.

I've just spoken to a lady named Rose at the British embassy and she's assigned herself to this situation, she is going to get someone to contact the hospital to find out more info on the situation and hopefully contact Usha for a more detailed response. She will be calling me back later on today once we know more and to see what options there are. I wanted to move him to a better hospital at the very least but my worry is if he's too ill to move because it's not looking good.

It's very sad to say this but me and my brother are trying to prepare for the worst and its such a difficult situation to be in because I don't understand how things work over there or about medical repatriation but I will certainly look into it so thank you for the links, although Rozzie may be right about him not surviving the trip.

Please I ask no bickering, it's hard enough as it is and I know you all mean well but it's not something my dad would like to see.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Aimsley wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:10 pm I've been having updates from his helper Usha.
Sending so much love to you and your brother, what an awful situation to be in. :(
Aimsley
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Aimsley »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:22 pm
Aimsley wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:10 pm I've been having updates from his helper Usha.
Sending so much love to you and your brother, what an awful situation to be in. :(
Thank you Rozzie, but also thank you so much for the treats you have been sending him and raising funds for the wheelchair? From what I gather through this thread you've really gone out of your way to try help my father and from the bottom of my heart we appreciate everything that you have done.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:47 pm There’s a risk that some of this may be unsettling. But to avoid anyone heading down a wrong path.

A portable oxygen concentrator is only part of the battle. Shipping it would be problematic- batteries.

Getting one in BKK may be much easier, surely available

Cabin altitude in the aircraft is around 7000ft in the cruise. If Oxygen concentration requirements are needed on the ground, then further measures would be required in the air. We’re talking actual oxygen bottles for the duration of the flight.

I have seen other travellers in airplanes using the concentrator. It dont need oxygen bottles but just batteries.

Andy is currently immobile and hospitalised from what I gather. I honestly cannot see any scheduled airline accepting him as a passenger in his condition, without significant professional health care in attendance.

true, it will cost some cash to have a doctor flying with him (and back). But still affordable compared to medivac

Apologies if that’s a bit blunt. This is a consideration for companies that deal with this sort of issue.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -in-the-uk

if not insured nearly impossible to pay for. A friend of mine forked out 70K for a medivac flight from Saigon to Singapore.

please check the link i posted above for the rules concerning travelling with the oxygen concentrator/generator, They are FAA approved procedures which dont seem impossible to comply with.

I would prefer that I’m wrong in my assessment.
But FIRST OF ALL he surely needs to be in better condition than now.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Aimsley
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Aimsley »

Ah, I've just been informed that phucketrichard arranged the wheelchair and has also been very helpful and tried his best in the situation so I want to publicly thank him for it also.

I've sent the embassy ushas contact number so someone can speak to her better in her language to try find out more as I'm struggling to understand, shes doing fantastic trying to keep me up to date tho and I'm grateful for that. Unfortunately due to the time difference it's difficult to get more information so the embassy may have to ring me back tomorrow. I just keep fearing it's going to be too late.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Aimsley wrote:
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:22 pm
Thank you Rozzie, but also thank you so much for the treats you have been sending him and raising funds for the wheelchair? From what I gather through this thread you've really gone out of your way to try help my father and from the bottom of my heart we appreciate everything that you have done.
I did a whip around when he couldn’t access his bank account but I didn’t have anything to do with the wheelchair.

People were incredibly generous, but wish we could have done more.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

if theres anything i can do to help please drop me a message
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:if theres anything i can do to help please drop me a message
Are you in PP at the moment?
Locked Previous topicNext topic