It happened; RIP AndyKK

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: It could just happen

Post by Alex »

violet wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:32 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:27 am
violet wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:54 am Unfortunately, it is not likely he will get well enough to travel home.
Soon, I guess you mean?
well, obviously I have no idea. I just see that he has worsened during his time in hospital. I also read his own comments where he says what is required in order for him to be able to fly home. I also read it doesn't seem likely he'll be sourcing the oxygen required even if he was released from the hospital.

It is harsh to make comments like I did, but people may choose to make different decisions if they realise the full gravity of the situation.
Maybe I shouldn't say anything, given that it's all a big unknown. I'll gauge that from how others comment on this occasion.
Maybe you could leave speculating about Andy's condition to those who have been in touch with him and/or his doctors? His daughter has been in touch with the embassy and with his helper already. What can you possibly add that she can't learn from them, harsh or otherwise?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

This post is not to defend myself but just to respond to Alex’s question.

People can receive the exact same information and interpret it differently. We had many examples with COVID of that.
Others have received the information from the helper and are more aligned to my view.

Not defending. Merely stating.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
sammycooke
Expatriate
Canada

Post by sammycooke »

I think Violet is only stating what is clear from the contents of this thread. Each point she makes has been stated throughout both by people who know him, have visited him and by himself and his helper. And she makes a good point about weighing the options available under the circumstances, even if they don't appear to be great right now.

If the gentleman in the hospital didn't want his business in full view of this forum, I think that he would have requested that it be locked.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I'm so sorry but I can't make it today, I have a huge work schedule.
I'll try for tomorrow, would anyone be able to come with me?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There’s a well worn phrase- Hope for the best, plan for the worst. It helps avoid the immense disappointment if things don’t go as we hope having set expectations too high.

Amy.
Might I suggest that you need to get some qualified input regarding repatriation? I can tell you that many airlines would have difficulty catering for very specific needs, but might delay in giving you any real answers. Repatriation flights are no small effort, and the distances involved are considerable.
For anyone with a compromised respiratory system, that is going to be a major concern.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Might I suggest that you need to get some qualified input regarding repatriation? I can tell you that many airlines would have difficulty catering for very specific needs, but might delay in giving you any real answers. Repatriation flights are no small effort, and the distances involved are considerable.
For anyone with a compromised respiratory system, that is going to be a major concern.
Here lies the problem, there is no way he can fly now on commercial airlines. He is on and off the ventilator for the past day and even if off, he needs o2> He has not moved out of bed in over 6 weeks, has no use of his legs at all.
only taking small amounts of water, milk thru his nose> so literally wasting away

even if he was now in the UK, i have no idea what could be done for him more than what they are already trying>

Yea, pray for a positive outcome, but prepare for the worst.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

some info on flying with an portable oxygen concentrator.

https://www.oxygenconcentratorstore.com ... centrator/
work is for people who cant find truffles
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I thought I read in this thread that portable oxygen concentrators aren’t available in Cambodia - are they?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

violet wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:19 pm I thought I read in this thread that portable oxygen concentrators aren’t available in Cambodia - are they?
The family might send one in from the UK, but still....
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There’s a risk that some of this may be unsettling. But to avoid anyone heading down a wrong path.

A portable oxygen concentrator is only part of the battle. Shipping it would be problematic- batteries.

The person needing it would need to be otherwise relatively fit and able if they were travelling alone. If they were in need of significant assistance, they would need to be accompanied. The airline and airports don’t have those facilities to hand.
Cabin altitude in the aircraft is around 7000ft in the cruise. If Oxygen concentration requirements are needed on the ground, then further measures would be required in the air. We’re talking actual oxygen bottles for the duration of the flight.

It would be very easy to take several isolated bits of information, and put together a plan. This would most likely fail at point of check in.
Andy is currently immobile and hospitalised from what I gather. I honestly cannot see any scheduled airline accepting him as a passenger in his condition, without significant professional health care in attendance.
If he needs to remain on a bed, with IV fluids, the complications are well outside the capacity of many airlines. Especially at short notice.
Then, you need to consider the companies that have the fewest connections. Singapore, for instance, with a stop in Singapore.
And then there’s the matter of insurance.

Apologies if that’s a bit blunt. This is a consideration for companies that deal with this sort of issue.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -in-the-uk

It may well be that some airlines are equipped or are able to accommodate. I needed to return to the UK urgently 4 years ago. Only a few airlines were on the insurance company’s list. BA and Thai being two of them. Eva may have been the third. Thai procrastinated for over a week before finally coming back with a response.
Take a look at their schedules, now, though. They aren’t pretty.

I would prefer that I’m wrong in my assessment.
Locked Previous topicNext topic