It happened; RIP AndyKK

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Re: It could just happen

Post by simon43 »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:22 pm
simon43 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:55 pm
AndyKK wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:56 am
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:38 am Far out, I was so sure you had said the hospital was $250 a day and I couldn't work out why it was so expensive. $25 sounds a lot more realistic for where you are. Phew.
The room is $25 per person per day, with a room with 3 people. If you want a single room for 1 it's $80 per day. We have been lucky over the weekend to have the room alone. The last sick lady had 10 members of her family stay with her day and night, they would sleep on the floor. Also with so many people coming and going from the room I had a bit of a complain, covid tests PCR, are they carried out prior on visitors? Still I wait for the answer.
$250+ per day is for the medicine.
All in all the cost is @$2700+ per 7 days
I haven't been following all the posts, but I thought you had pneumonia. I have a lung illness and was previously hospitalised in Bumrungrad Bangkok for 7 days in a private room when I had acute pneumonia. All treatment, medicines, room costs etc etc came to about $2,000 for 7 days of my stay.

You can 'bite my head off' if I've misunderstood something here, but why is your medicine $250+ per day? Have I missed something?
On the Bumrumgrad website they put a price tag of 239$ on their two bedded room (service charge + meals incleded, doctor's fees and med's are extra) per 24 hours so I guess it's either 3 decades ago or you lost a zero down the way.
Granted it was about 15 years ago, and no lost zeros. Although I had acute pneumonia and felt as sick as a very sick pig, I only had an IV and one drug if I recall. No need for oxygen and I could crawl on the floor to pee in the toilet, or ask a pretty nurse to help me (I usually opted for the latter...)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have emailed the British Embersy this morning after the doctor came to talk to me about the situation of my health and ongoing treatment's.
Talk about my writing getting personal! Basically what the situation is at this point, I have some blood virus (this is what they explain to me). So I need oxygen 24 7 because I will not survive without. It's been said if I attempted to travel to Bangkok without oxygen I would die on the way.
The doctor's are going to have another meeting today, and give me more information. But to me, realistically if nothing else can be done, that's the end game.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:08 am I have emailed the British Embersy this morning after the doctor came to talk to me about the situation of my health and ongoing treatment's.
Talk about my writing getting personal! Basically what the situation is at this point, I have some blood virus (this is what they explain to me). So I need oxygen 24 7 because I will not survive without. It's been said if I attempted to travel to Bangkok without oxygen I would die on the way.
The doctor's are going to have another meeting today, and give me more information. But to me, realistically if nothing else can be done, that's the end game.
How come? Is it a virus that can't be treated?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I’m not a medically trained person so don’t know what this blood virus is that would kill you if you weren’t breathing oxygen. Maybe lack of language means it is simplified to the incorrect language - maybe this is about your pneumonia spreading to the bloodstream. Bacterial pneumonia can. Maybe viral can also. I don’t know how common that is. What I do know is Pneumonia can make it hard for your body to get enough oxygen to your blood, which can cause cells to not work properly.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:15 pm
I will leave it up to Andy to tell what he has, but its more than just Pneumonia
work is for people who cant find truffles
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

truffledog wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:30 pm
I will leave it up to Andy to tell what he has, but its more than just Pneumonia
Had forgotten about that. If it’s not been elaborated on before now, I guess it won’t be
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The email I received back today -

Consular Email Escalations Phnom Penh
1 message
Message has attachments
11:44
RE: Mr
Dear Andy,
Thank you for your email and I’m sorry to learn about the sad news. I have called the doctor in charge who confirmed the same information as you mention below. He told me that it would not be the issue for you to travel in a short time without oxygen but not in a long time as returning to the UK which might take more than 10 hours on the flight. The only way to return to the UK is that you may need to consider medical repatriation option which might be very pricy. Unfortunately, emergency loans for repatriation cannot cover medical or legal bills, or any other pre-existing debt medical repatriations. As you do not need us to contact your family due to that you are in direct contact with them, I’d strongly recommend that you discuss this possible options with them. Maybe they can work directly with the hospital to get more detail information about this and shall they are in the position to assist with medical repatriation. The doctor in charge is Mr Vin Darady Tel: +855. Please keep us in a loop so that we can facilitate that. If you could Andy, I’d like to suggest that you seek for a second opinion from a different doctor at different place. If they said you can return without the medical evacuation, then we might be able to discuss further about the loan. In very exceptional circumstances, the FCDO may be able to provide an emergency loan to help you return to the UK. You should try all other options before we can consider this. An emergency loan for repatriation: is only considered if you are destitute and you have no assets or support from friends, families and charities, (you will have to provide proofs for that) is discretionary: a lack of other ways to return home does not mean that the FCDO will automatically offer a loan would only cover basic costs, for example the cheapest one-way ticket to the UK A loan cannot cover: medical or legal bills, or any other pre-existing debt medical repatriations If you are eligible for an emergency
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

violet wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:46 pm
Had forgotten about that. If it’s not been elaborated on before now, I guess it won’t be
Go through the thread, and connect the dots. There's arrows showing the road.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:16 pm
I’d actually connected dots even before Phuket posted that comment. But, without offical confirmation from the individual involved, whatever the reasons for not doing so, all I have is guess work. Which is fine but I respond to what he chooses to share.

I’d forgotten about the other stuff temporarily - no idea why. Maybe simply because it’s failed to be mentioned
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:16 pm
Sorry but this is from you, the person that said I don't need to stay in hospital for the oxygen.
Locked Previous topicNext topic